Charging Glitch

MaxBobcat

Reaction score
I use 'AppAlarm' to wake up every day to Pandora and I use 'Deep Sleep with Andrew Johnson' to help me fall asleep.

Everything was normal when I went to bed, but when my alarm went off this morning and I went to pick up the phone (I leave it charging on my bed next to me), to turn off the alarm it was really hot and the battery was at 5%.

I turned off the alarm and looked at my battery temp widget and saw it was 107.3F. I've never had my droid go above 95F. Well, I unplugged the plug into the droid and the battery immediately jumped up to 100% and it started to cool off a few minutes later.

Just kind of weird, cause I've done this same routine every night for the past month and this is the first time it's happened.

Think I should stop with this routine? Anybody with AppAlarm or Deep Sleep had this happen to them before?

Syndroid

Reaction score
As you saw on the other thread, there are a few of us who have noticed. I have had this happen any number of times. I used to charge my Palm 650 every night, but I am afraid of cooking the battery in my Droid. Fortunately, it is easier to charge (thanks to USB) ... but that doesn't solve this annoying glitch. Now that you have documented the high temps, maybe someone will notice before something catches fire.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have never noticed the glitch, but my phone stays on the multimedia dock at night and the battery charges and I use the alarm clock. I also noticed the temperature was at 107F, but from what I've read that is not a dangerous temperature for the battery. I have noticed any time I charge, whether in the dock or charging while at work the temperature goes up. I'll keep an eye on the battery indicator saying 5% and then jumping to 100%. I haven't seen that happen.

Syndroid

Reaction score
No, 107° F is not dangerous, nor unusual for a charging Li-ion battery. If you haven't seen the glitch, then it must not be pandemic. My concern is that, since some of us DO see this glitch, then it needs to be addressed by Motorola to see if it is a reporting-only problem (which I suspect it is) and not something more serious. Of the three people that I personally know who own Droids, all three have experienced the glitch. That is too small of a sample size to suggest the actual number of affected Droids, and, indeed, there hasn't been much action on this forum. Nevertheless, I feel that it has been under-reported.

Syndroid

Reaction score
But, if the phone has been plugged in all night, it should not still be charging, and the battery should not be that hot. Ignoring glitches like this is what gets companies in trouble.

RedRocker

Reaction score
I've had this happen, mine was on the charger all night, and wouldn't turn on this morning and was completely discharged. I was using a new ext. cord, so it might be defective, but I've had quite a few strange glitches with charging. Charge all night, red light will be on, un plug it and plug it back in and it jumps to full charge.:icon_eek: