Charging from a computer?

sb9t

Reaction score
Hello,

I just grabbed the ICS OTA update last night. So far I love it! Everything works so much smoother and little issues that started out of no where before the upgrade went away. The new look is also very sexy.

My only issue (so far) is that I lost the option to connect to my computer only to charge. Whenever I plug my phone into my computer I could select from the status bar to either mount the phone as mass storage, charge only, and a couple other options. Now my only options are to mount the phone as a storage device which makes the sdcard unavailable to the phone. At work I usually just charge the phone with my laptop and listen to Subsonic all day. Does anyone know how to get the charge only option back? Even with the extended battery, streaming music for 10 hours straight is not going to work out for me. I've tried ejecting the phone from Windows but that doesn't force the phone to remount the sdcard.

Any and all help would be appreciated!!

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Extended battery? You must not be running a RAZR or a RAZR MAXX (which is the forum you've posted this in). :)

Even though the charge only option is no longer there, the phone will still charge if you're in mass storage mode, media device mode, or camera mode while connected to a computer.

I can see the lack of the dedicated "charge only" option being a potential issue for people that are worried about others coming along and messing with the contents of their phone (either over a local network or directly if using their computer), but for everyone else, any of the modes will charge your phone just like charge only mode did.

Last edited:
OP
S

sb9t

Reaction score
Extended battery? You must not be running a RAZR or a RAZR MAXX (which is the forum you've posted this in). :)

Even though the charge only option is no longer there, the phone will still charge if you're in mass storage mode, media device mode, or camera mode while connected to a computer.

I can see the lack of the dedicated option being a potential issue for people that are worried about others coming along and messing with the contents of their phone (either over a local network or directly if using their computer), but for everyone else, any of the modes will give you what charge only mode did as far as charging goes.

I have a maxx. The Maxx has a larger battery than the razr, poor choice of words on my part.... my bad.

I know it's still charging but it also unmounts the sdcard from the phone and that's the part I have the biggest problem with. Subsonic along with quite a few other apps I use wont work if the sdcard is not present.

After I posted this I turned off usb degugging and I noticed when I select camera mode it keeps the sdcard mounted to the phone and my apps work but I can still see the sdcard content on my computer along with a camera device (that's another problem). The charging only option did just that, it only changed the phone and the computer didn't know the phone was there at all. To me it seems pretty silly to get rid of that option.

This is a problem. There are times when I want the phone mounted to the computer but I would switch on the fly using the status bar from mass storage to chaging only. However to be honest, I'm not supposed to have any personal devices like usb drives (which is what the phone becomes) attached to my computer at work. I'd settle for a 3rd party app to achive this. Again, any help at all would be appricated!

HELP...

Jim 777

Silver Member
Reaction score
I also understand that the phone charges in other modes but it's a pain to have to wait for the sdcard to mount when unplugging the phone. Needs a "Charge only" option again.