charging a new battery

Discussion in 'Android Smart Phones Forum' started by megraven21, Sep 1, 2013.

1. megraven21

megraven21 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I've heard conflicting ways of the correct way to charge a new battery to get the most juice out of it so I'd like to hear from others as to the best way to charge a battery. I first heard that when charging, let it get down to 0% before charging fully to 100% and turn your phone off while charging. Then I read that this is wrong, only let it get to 10% before charging to 100%. So my questions to you is 1) how far down, percentage-wise, do you let your phone get to before charging to 100% to get the most out of your battery and 2) does it matter if your phone is on or off when you charge to 100%? To be clear, I'm not talking about just every day charging. I mean when first using a battery, cycling it to get the maximum amount out of it.

Thanks!
    MegRaven

2. leeshor

leeshor Gold Member

Ratings:
    +1,676
    I would not let the phone get to 0 before charging. A good target is 30% so you have some reserve if needed before charging. It is not necessary to turn the phone off. You're choice. Won't hurt anything either way.

• Like Like x 1
  3. mountainbikermark

mountainbikermark Super Moderator
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,348
    • Like Like x 1
  4. droid2drummer

droid2drummer Silver Member

Ratings:
    +10
    OK. This is what the best way is. Years of experience and no issues. Also read it online from OEM battery manufacturing.
    Before you power on. Out of box charge to 100%.
    Drop to zero. Yes. Zero. Put back on charger. Do not bump or pull off till 100% then bump won't hurt. This give a proper burn in. I'm sure there are conflicts. But nobody I know has ever had bad battery issues that followed this.

5. FoxKat

FoxKat Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +5,290
    Current Phone Model:
    Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
    I'll come in here... Charge to 100% with power off, yes however I'll disagree on discharge to zero. The manufacturer puts the warnings and alerts on the phone for a reason. It's too protect the battery from deep discharge and going into protection mode, essentially rendering it either temporarily or permanently disabled. Discharge only to where the phone tells you to place it on charge (10% with Gingerbread and later OSs). Then (you forgot this part - important), power the phone back off, and then charge to 100% again.

Also, "bump charging" is both a complete waste of time with Lithium Ion batteries and smart phones, and reduces the battery's life as well as placing it at risk of permanent damage.

The phone's charging system will determine the battery's State Of Charge (SOC), very quickly and interrupt charging before it has had any effect. This is to protect the battery from over charging, a potentially dangerous situation. However if by bump charging you should confuse the charging system you may in fact circumvent the protection afforded by the charging system. The results can be a very dangerous situation with the risk that the battery can go into a thermal runaway and self-destruct, releasing harmful flammable gases at very high temperatures.

Finally, these batteries don't require either "burn in" beyond what was already done at the factory, or "training" as some say.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2