Charges for wifi tether

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by masterofboing, Mar 27, 2010.

1. masterofboing

masterofboing New Member

Hello all. Just wondering if anyone here has been charged by Verizon for using Wifi Tether a little TOO much? I know that on the Blackberry side of things, if you tether without their consent/knowledge/whatever, and they see you've used too much data, they'll slap some charges on you. So I'm wondering if anyone here's had that problem, or, basically, how much is too much to be using on Wifi Tether before getting charged or caught?
  2. Vulcan1600

Vulcan1600 DF Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

If you're concerned about your wifi tether usage, then maybe you've been using it too much. Nobody has come forward to my knowledge who owns a Droid and said they got busted for using wifi tether, but there are some who have posted about using the wifi tether to play XBox Live games...that's simply asking for trouble. My recommendation is if you're going to use it, use common sense and use it sparingly or when you really need to use it and you should be fine.
  3. masterofboing

masterofboing New Member

Um, actually, quite the opposite. I've been too nervous to use it because I'm afraid of hefty fines.
  4. Vulcan1600

I've only used it to see if wifi tether works after I switch ROM's, and last Friday when we were on a day trip of 500 miles total, and my wife had her iPod Touch and I said "hey, you know you can check your e-mail and Facebook now", and when she said "no" so I enabled the wifi tether on the Droid...well, after 5 months of Droid ownership she FINALLY found a reason to share the Droid love with me. She probably used it for about one hour total. I'm just over 5 GB for this month so far, last month I did no wifi tether and used almost 9 GB, so there's no red flags going up.
  5. xX-DROIDinator-Xx

xX-DROIDinator-Xx New Member

I take it that you have the "unlimited" data plan? I read that the "unlimited" data plan isn't really unlimited. Verizon stated before the DROID came out that those with this plan has to stay under the 5Gb cap they put on it or they will be charged like an extra $30 bucks, but you said you went up to 9Gb and no extra charge. Maybe they are just bluffing. :confused:

Here is the link >>> www.networkworld.com/news/.../110509-verizon-droid-tethering.html <<<
  6. korp

korp New Member

Haha ... xbox? geeze its wayy to slow to run an online game.
  7. Vulcan1600

Unlimited is unlimited, there are no caps on data on your Android device.
  8. Vulcan1600

Someone was saying that their XBox was not lagging when playing online games, which I found hard to believe myself.
  9. Far3nhe1t

Far3nhe1t New Member

I tried to wifi tether I tried to wifi tether xbox live a little earlier today and contrary to everyones beliefs it does not use much data at all. Just around 5mb down 3mb up. Yes it does lag a little but of course that is expected. Although i did stay in the 2-4 bar range.
  10. Riddick

Riddick New Member

It's an unlimited data plan just like the broadband plan you have on your PC. Just don't be a MOD EDIT and use it to play Xbox Live or download torrents.
  11. xX-DROIDinator-Xx

Hmmm that's wierd. Verizon specifically stated that the unlimited data plan has a 5Gb cap. That's one of the fine printed details they don't deem important to share.
  12. LtKen

LtKen New Member

Citation? I pulled down 9+Gb last month with no extra fees. This has been said before. Unlimited means exactly that.
  13. xX-DROIDinator-Xx

14. CoyG

CoyG New Member

It's funny how ridiculous people can be. I've tethered my xbox for close to an hour and used less data than I do streaming music or video. Tethering your xbox does NOT use a lot of data so stop feeding people lies when you probably haven't even tried it. And about the lag..mine didn't hardly lag at all, but i live fairly close to a tower.
  15. Vulcan1600

Read it closer...it really is only for those with BBA cards. It does not affect advanced devices such as Blackberry and Android devices.
  16. pc747

pc747 DF Administrator Staff Member Rescue Squad

That is old. And when I bought my droid in November the vzw rep was looking for a tethering plan and at the time she said the droid did not have the capability to tether. Though I believe some have tethering capabilities, they can not prove you are tethering and this is why. Because you can now set you browser to desktop user agent for dolphin/xscope browser, you can access different sites full websites. And when they release Adobe flash you will be able to access the full sites and capabilities. Verizon has not released a statement that said it will start charging people extra for devices that have flash capabilities.
    They can not prove that you are tethering and you can fight that easily since vzw reps do not even understand the true capabilities of this device. With that said; to keep from having to wage that war, I would recommend you be careful and monitor your data to make sure there are no major spikes....just keep it about the same from month to month.
    That is my opinion.
  17. hiimjered

hiimjered New Member

When I first signed for a data plan (over 2 years ago) the 5gb restriction was in the paperwork. The latest contract I signed (2 weeks ago) had no such restriction. Apparently Verizon eliminated the cap. I used over the 5gb cap quite a few times before with no issue.

I think this is another example of Verizon's great customer service.
  18. jeff0r3

jeff0r3 Member

Working nice for me and the daughter on our pc's... A little slow, but better than nothing.. ALOT better than no internet on vacation.
  19. christim

christim DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad

Verizon can determine you are tethering. It doesn't mean they will do anything about it but they most definitely can.

Case 1: you tether your laptop to your phone, have Netflix, and stream a movie through the cell towers through the phone, to your laptop as you watch it.
    Case 2: You're on vacation, brought your xbox, and are bored. You tether and play games through it.

In both of the above cases there is traffic flowing through the cell towers that your phone can't make use of. There is traffic flowing up through the towers that could not have originated on the phone. It is your Netflex account. It is your online game account. The proof is right there between where you connected, the protocols used, and the type of traffic generated.

And to comment on the unlimited data plan: itis unlimited, as others have posted. I wouldn't want to test that with 6 months in a row of 2TB/mo of traffic though :)
  20. Riddick

Riddick New Member

Of course I haven't tried it. Why would I want to play Xbox Live over 3G. :rolleyes:

You can probably download 1,000 gigabytes via tethering and not get caught the point is that if you're paranoid about it then stay away from risky activities. The real purpose of tethering is for when you're out and you want to log-on the internet from your laptop and there's no WIFI connection around, it's not intended to be a permanent replacement for your home service.
Search tags for this page
any extra charges if you tether s3 to xbox live

droid charge tether hack

say about riddick agend wifi android app