Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks

cynkrzy

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
I bought a couple of cables from Amazon. (TechMatte) didn't see the Google Guy making any bad comments.

Way cheaper than Belkin, and I'm a little annoyed Google wouldn't let us use the credit to buy cables.

But when I used one last night I had some weird results. Gonna use that app to check it out when I get home.

I have a remote battery/charger and when I used that, it would start, say "charging rapidly" then the remote battery would shut off, almost instantly, as if is were fully charged, it wasn't.

I then plugged it into a 2.4v wall charger and it still said charging rapidly which we know isn't true.

Used the supplied C->A cable with both chargers and got the normal charging message, so I suspect these cables aren't up to spec.

Fortunately they were prime eligible, makes returning them pretty easy.

OP
Mustang02

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Is CheckR legit? What is it checking exactly? I'd love a google engineer's input on this.

Both of Google's USB A to Type C cables (1 that came with 6p, extra purchased from google) pass. (Duh, right?)

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
OP
Mustang02

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
6.6ft? I don't need it to charge my phone from the tailgate. :)
I'm looking at those USB a to type c adapter, like
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B014...SX110_SY165&keywords=Type+a+to+type+c+adapyer

That way I can still use my existing car chargers.

Biggest complaint -

Are paid reviewers

"This cord does a great job at charging my phone in record time. Great product *Disclaimer I received this product at a discount for my unbiased review"

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
OP
Mustang02

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Did that not load his review? His review of that cable explains somewhat how he tests for compliance.
Sure did but how do I run those commands for a charger not plugged in via a USB cable. I understand testing cables but the chargers and adapters is where I'd like some tests done.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Gotchya. Yeah. Idk. He seems to be only concerned with cables at this point. Not sure if that means we shouldn't worry so much about chargers. I'm sure there's a spec that they need to follow as well, but, to me, that'd be the older USB-A spec, since he's commenting on C-A cables?

OP
Mustang02

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Gotchya. Yeah. Idk. He seems to be only concerned with cables at this point. Not sure if that means we shouldn't worry so much about chargers. I'm sure there's a spec that they need to follow as well, but, to me, that'd be the older USB-A spec, since he's commenting on C-A cables?
That he does. Maybe the Type-C cables will take as much as the Type-A chargers can produce and then regulate? Not sure why they don't seem too concerned with them, or why Google doesn't offer a car charger. That's usually step one when buying a new phone. Extra cables, and car chargers.

I can do a lot with PCs, Servers, websites, programming, Cars, etc but electronics, Ohm and resistance are beyond my expertise.

cynkrzy

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Is CheckR legit? What is it checking exactly? I'd love a google engineer's input on this.

Both of Google's USB A to Type C cables (1 that came with 6p, extra purchased from google) pass. (Duh, right?)
I think it is, I brought one of the cables to work and the app turned red for it.

I'll repeat when I get home, bad cable, good cable and let y'all know.

And Amazon is taking them back no questions asked!

Guess I'll break down an give google some $$$ -

Now if I could just find a USB C car charger

OP
Mustang02

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I think it is, I brought one of the cables to work and the app turned red for it.

I'll repeat when I get home, bad cable, good cable and let y'all know.

And Amazon is taking them back no questions asked!

Guess I'll break down an give google some $$$ -

Now if I could just find a USB C car charger
Guess I'll be a guinea pig as well. Going to buy an adapter and see if it works.

cynkrzy

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
here are the results of the Cable Checker App -
Good Cable, Bad Cable!
CableTest_zpsseriixeu.jpg