Chargers causing strange behavior 2????

Discussion in 'Android Tech Support' started by phreakaj, Nov 26, 2009.

1. phreakaj

phreakaj Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Just read the charger issue thread and wanted to throw this out there. I used to work on dtv sat cards and the process to break into the cards eeprom was to apply a certain set of strange voltages to flash the new eeprom causing confusion on the chip and circumventing the chips built in security to get into be able to flash a custom(open) eeprom. Might this be a posibility for rroting the droid? I am a total noob with the droid but just thought this sounded like some of my previous experience with eeprom programming. Any insights from anone into this could be helpful in your rooting attempts.

2. Martin030908

Martin030908 DF Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +0
    Not bad theory.... my buddy used to zap and program SAT cards all the time... I know I know, bad boy :p.... maybe you should make mention of this in the "root the droid" thread. wouldn't hurt.

share what you know about sat cards and see if it helps.

3. cgarnes

cgarnes Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Well, here is the charger my Verizon rep sold me, since I wanted a second one for work, but when I plug it in, I get very unusual effects. The unlock pattern dots don't connect (and yes, my finger is in full contact with the buttons, and no, I don't have long fingernails). In order to get my phone to unlock, I have to unplug this charger, which is branded as "Cellet" (not Motoroa, as I would have expected).

When I review the Motorola website and look for accessories, I see that a REAL Motorola charger exists for my phone, so I am wondering why the VZN rep sold me this one?

The "real" Motorola chargers:

Fast Charger. $19.99

Regular Charger. $21.99

So why is the Cellet that I have causing such odd effects?

4. cgarnes

cgarnes Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I called Verizon Tech Support, and I asked about this, and he suggested I take it back to my local Verizon store so they could test my phone's sensors. I'm wondering if this Cellet created my problems - even though their site shows that this charger IS supposed to be Droid-compatible?

5. Martin030908

Martin030908 DF Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +0
    http://www.droidforums.net/forum/te...-suggestions/4081-rogue-droid-huge-issue.html

Great read here.

Pretty much to sum it up there's slight amperage differences (or voltage, I can't remember) between some micro USB chargers and this is causing the 'strange occurances'. People have reported the phone dialing itself, performing virus scans... sending texts... etc... pretty wild actually.

Edit:
    Just don't use the charger and your phone will be fine.