Charge overnight and wake up to 71%

T.C.

Reaction score
So the first few days I had the thunderbolt I would charge it overnight and wake up to a 100% charge. I then bump charged it.

The last 2 days I have woke up to the phone reading in the 70% range. What gives? Any ideas?

Using stock charger, stock battery, screen off.

Sent from my THUNDERBOLT using DroidForums App

OP
T

T.C.

Reaction score
I don't get it. Something is draining the battery at a faster rate than the battey is charging.

If that was happening during the day, the phone would be dead in an hour. So something weird is going on.

So now that I am at work, I have to shut the phone down and charge it up. Takes about 45 minutes and I'm at 100%. Its a shame can't shut it off overnight to charge, but I need the ALARM for the morning. Really hope it doesn't start dying overnight, no alarm, no work....wait that'd be a vacation day.

OP
T

T.C.

Reaction score
GPS off, WIFI off, only widgets running are Beautiful Widget smaller home clock/weather (set to update every 4 hours).

Only thing I can figure is that I live close to the border of 4G/3G, 90% of the time at my house I have 2 bars of 4G, but there are occassions when it goes to 3G. Wonder if it is just switching back and forth all night, and the result is a decreasing battery?

Will try shutting 4G off tonight, and see what happens.

Is there a way to just shut off the mobile radio? Rather than using the hidden menu to force 3G?

Reaction score
People have been posting that they like an app called phone info which will turn off the 4G and other features.

I have not tried it yet but it has received very good reviews.

Hope that helps.

Snow02

Reaction score
My guess is when you bump charged it, you altered the calibration. The battery stops charging when full and settles to its nominal voltage of 3.7-3.8 V while left on the charger, which your phone is now reporting as 70-80%. This is to prevent wearing out the battery for those that charge overnight. The remedy is to unplug and replug it when you get up, and let it top off while you get ready to go.

The phone is absolutely not using more power than the charger provides, that's just silly.

OP
T

T.C.

Reaction score
Put it on the charger last night at midnight, was at about 30%

Pulled off the charger this mornig at 6:30am, was at 71%

Checked a couple of websites and email this morning, put it back on the charger when I got in the shower, got out of shower and pulled it off the charger and it was at 41%

Got to work, turned the phone off, put it on the charger (another stock charger) and about an hour later it was at 100%.

So doubt it has anythign to do with calibration since it does get to 100% (but only when charging while the phone is off). And if you have another explanation other than the phone is consuming more power than the charge is poviding, I'm all ears.

Snow02

Reaction score
The only other possibility is that charger is bad. If you want further help sorting it out, download a battery monitor that reports voltages and include several reported battery% with corresponding voltage, as well as reported voltage while charging.

OP
T

T.C.

Reaction score
Any suggestion on an app that does that? Thanks for the tip.

Snow02

Reaction score
Any suggestion on an app that does that? Thanks for the tip.

I like Battery Monitor Widget by 3c06. But there are several options and most app descriptions tell you what all they monitor.

Snow02

Reaction score
And in the event the app you install reports a different % than the system, use the system reported value. Some apps do their own calculation of percentage left and we're not interested in that.

OP
T

T.C.

Reaction score
I'll check it out when I get home and can throw it on the charger. Thanks.

sonnl

Reaction score
I shut my phone off to charge it at 50% and woke up it was at 18% after seven hours charging turned off wtf

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums App