Charge Only VS Mass Storage?

MysticalDreams

Reaction score
IL for now... waiting for the day we can move back
Current Phone Model
Note 8!!
Sorry if this has been covered, I did a search and a mini browse and didn't see anything, and I have basically been gone for 3 weeks. When plugged into the computer I no longer have a Charge Only option listed. am I missing something? Is this no longer available? I have, Mass Storage. Media Device(MPT) and Camera(PTP) I have always charged my phone from the computer, do I need to switch to an outlet? Please Mr FoxKat say it isn't so LOL

PS. for those that know me or know why I have been gone, all 11 puppies are doing great :) and their mama's too

OP
MysticalDreams

MysticalDreams

Reaction score
IL for now... waiting for the day we can move back
Current Phone Model
Note 8!!
I have been searching and not getting much information...

If I do charge it by the computer using Mass Storage, Do I need to do the USB stop to remove it from the computer? Is there a advantage / disadvantage to using an A/C outlet VS the computer?

leftspin

Reaction score
I have been searching and not getting much information...

If I do charge it by the computer using Mass Storage, Do I need to do the USB stop to remove it from the computer? Is there a advantage / disadvantage to using an A/C outlet VS the computer?

It'll charge faster using the A/C adapter than if it's plugged into the USB port, that's about the only difference.

In ICS the charge only option isn't there anymore. The phone still charges when it's plugged into the computer, you just don't have the option to unmount the SD card from the computer while it's charging there. I'm not really sure why they took that out, I also liked that feature.

ChrisK

Reaction score
Not just about charging time

This is one of my top three annoyances with the RAZR Maxx I just got (switched from an HTC Incredible).

It's not just that USB charging is slower. (In fact, it appears that the RAZR Maxx draws more current while idling than a typical laptop USB port will supply - so plugging it into my laptop doesn't keep the charge even, much less make it better.)

The lack of 'charge only' means that the SD card and internal storage are always mounted. Which means that apps on the phone can't use them. Which means that custom ring tones or notification tones or playlists won't work. At all. When my phone is plugged into my computer (for charging or tethering), I can't hear it ring and won't be told if an SMS arrives.

Which is incredibly incredibly stupid.

Bring back "charge only" mode!

mgourley

Reaction score
This is a huge annoyance to me as well. I always keep my phone on a USB charger when I am not using it. Obviously, the "work around" to not plug the thing in to USB. Does anyone have any insight as to why the USB Charge Only option was removed?

mgourley

Reaction score
I guess you can set it as a Media Device (MTP) which allows custom ringtones and notifications. Not the most elegant solution, but it works if you want to keep your phone plugged into USB.

fallenreaper

Reaction score
Development issues too

When doing development for it, it wont unlock SDCard etc, so i could take pictures or access other aspects. This prevents me from being able to debug and watch LogCat