1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Charge No Connectivity Issues

Discussion in 'Samsung Droid Charge' started by Vidguy7, Jun 1, 2011.

1. Vidguy7

Vidguy7 New Member

I love the Charge and have had it since its launch. But there is one very serios issue this phone has and I can reproduce it on virtually any Charge I've played with at any Verizon store I've visited on Long Island.

When the phone drops from a 4G to a 3G signal, the phone loses ALL data connectivity. You get a yellow box that opens up in the ceneter saying 'Data Connectivity Problem'. The 4G speeds are great, but being cut off from 3G data is a horrible situation. I've demonstrated the issue to the Verizon tech people at the stores, and they seem to be genuinely surprised.

I've had my phone swapped out and the new one is identical. I've spoken to upper level tech support at Verizon and they're researching the issue. It's not clear if this a tower issue where the phones are not told how to properly switch from 4G to 3G, or a phone software issue.

If you live in an area where you're never out of a 4G area, you'll never see this issue. But I can tell you if you have it, it's a killer problem.
  2. mspampi

mspampi New Member

Oddly enough I fall back to 3G quite flawlessly, even between loading pages, usually without a hitch.. I will say however that data does drop out of nowhere when on 3G at times. But not usually during fall back.
  3. Vidguy7

Vidguy7 New Member

So mspampi, you're saying you do get the 'no data' or 'data connectivity error' at times when on 3G? I understand you're saying it doesn't occur during the transition, but if I'm understanding you correctly, you're saying you do get the total data drop to zero.

So far I know this issue occurs to some in N.Y., Texas and I see you're in Florida.
  4. Vidguy7

Vidguy7 New Member

I'm happy to report that as of this afternoon my problems have stopped. I now get perfect connectivity on either 3G, 4G or when the phone switches from 4G to 3G. Something has apparently changed on Verizon's end...or at least I hope so. It's probably too early to say this is definitely fixed, but I'm hopeful.

A Verizon tech posted on the Verizon forum that they are looking in to it and he posted a rather lengthy trouble shooting approach with a request to email him if you've gone through all of the troubleshooting procedures and still get this issue no matter where you travel.

I'm glad that Verizon is taking this seriously because it is a significant issue.
  5. Jack$on

Jack$on New Member

I travel a lot and have this issue. I lose data connectivity issues only on 3g... sometimes very frustrating.
    Reminds me of Gingerbread on my OG. Lol
  6. Vidguy7

Vidguy7 New Member

I'm happy to say my connections continute to be good today. So it does look like Verizon made some change in my area. :icon_ banana:

Anyone that has this issue please call tech support. They do address your issues as it seems they did with mine.
  7. Droid101

Droid101 Member

Verizon is always working on its 4G and 3G network to ensure that your connection is more reliable. The one rep I talked with said that an OTA update was expected for all 4G phones to resolve any connectivity issues.:)
  8. Vidguy7

Vidguy7 New Member

Any idea when this update might occur.
  9. Droid101

Droid101 Member

The rep didn't say when just that they were working on it :)
  10. Sakofsky

Sakofsky New Member

Data not available

I am not using 4G. I have my network mode set CDMA - automatic.I have Use Packet Data checked and Data Roaming checked.I think my problem is triggered when I leave WIFI and go to 3G. My cell service will work but if I have to use data the icon changes from showing bars of service to the international "no" (circle with a slash through it) and the message no data network available shows. I have to re-boot the phone to get it to work. Will calling Verizon do me any good or just waste my time?
  11. Vidguy7

Vidguy7 New Member

You're wasting your time since VZW has no clue whatsoever as to what's causing this serious issue.
  12. Sakofsky

Sakofsky New Member

I spoke with Verizon tech support. Their solution was to turn off WIFI every time I leave an area where I am using WIFI. It is clunky and inconvenient, but seems to work. It will be nice if they fix it in a future release.
  13. Vidguy7

Vidguy7 New Member

I'll get this issue with the WiFi never having been enabled. For many/most of us having this issue, that's not the issue and I'd bet it's hardware related.
  14. Shurple

Shurple New Member

So far I"ve had 3 Charges (this one seems to be good), and i've yet to try the 4G switch on this particular one but the other two had the SAME problems.

I think the 4G ability is crap and Verizon needs to fix it. Or admit the phone is crap and replace ours with one of our choice. LOL
  15. Shurple

Shurple New Member

can you PM me the link please?

thanks!!!!:icon_ banana:
  16. Sakofsky

Sakofsky New Member

My post above did not fix the problem. I called verizon back and got a different tech support person. She said that she made some changes on her end to my account and then had me wipe my phone back to factory settings. It was a pain because I had to set up the whole thing again but that was two days ago and it has worked perfectly ever since.
  17. Shurple

Shurple New Member

FUDGE! Just happened AGAIN!

Went to click a link in email and it said I have no connection. Sure enough 3G was off and i had NOTHING! Then 1x for a few moments and now 3G.

SO ANNOYING!
  18. Vidguy7

Vidguy7 New Member

Give it time, I can almost guarantee you'll have the same problem. I've yet to see one single case where the fix was permanent. What possible changes could she have made to 'her end'. I think we are given one line after the other by VZW.
  19. Vidguy7

Vidguy7 New Member

It would be much easier if VZW got the message across that we could go through 1,000 of these phones and they'll all be the same. The phones and/or the VZW 4G system SUCKS.
  20. Vidguy7

Vidguy7 New Member

Shurple, here's the VZW response that is utterly useless and provides no fix for a phone that is fundamentally flawed:

Thank you for contacting Verizon Wireless through our website. My name is Tim and I understand that you've been affected by a known issue with the Charge. We regret that you've had this experience and I've provided steps in this email that will assist you with a resolutions. I imagine that it's been frustrating for you.

Some of our customers with the Samsung Droid Charge (I510) and a few other Samsung Android devices have reported issues connecting to the following:

Cannot connect to the VZW Data Network
    3G Indicator on the device not showing
    Cannot access the web
    Send text, picture messages, or e-mail.

Two work arounds provided to us from Samsung are listed below.

1. From the home screen, select Applications.
    2. Select Settings.
    3. Select Wireless & network.
    4. Select Mobile networks.
    5. Select Use packet data.
    Enabled when a orange check mark is present.

The next is..,

1. From the home screen, select and hold the status bar (located at the top of the display).
    2. Drag the window shade to the bottom of the display.
    3. Select Mobile data.
    Enabled when a orange indicator is present.

Upon an update to resolve this permanently is created, customers such as yourself will receive the patch over the air to your device. At this time we do not have a time line to provide as to when this will happen.

Mr. Beam, if you have any additional questions, please do not hesitate to call in. Our Technical Support Department is available 24 hours a day and 7 days a week. The toll free number is 1-800-922-0204 and you'll select Option 3. You can also reach out to me directly at 803-231-1767. I'm in the office until 4 PM EST, Monday through Friday. Your call may go to my voicemail, so please leave a message, advising the best time and number to contact you.

Thank you for being a loyal Verizon Wireless customer. We look forward to providing you excellent service for many years to come.

Sincerely,

Timothy
    Verizon Wireless
    Data Technical Support
Search tags for this page
droid charge check network connection
droid charge connection issues
droid charge data connection
droid charge has no connection
droid charge internet problems
droid charge network connection
droid charge no signal