Changing your motorola "M" boot logo tutorial

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by osynergyoescapeo, Jul 29, 2010.

1. osynergyoescapeo

osynergyoescapeo Member

Ratings:
    +0
    This is to change the motorola "M" boot logo that you see when you boot your phone to a custom image. This is separate from the boot animation seen afterwards.

**For Moto droid only as far as I know, the only phone it's been tested on... feel free to attempt on another phone but no promises...**

*I am not responsible for any damage done to you're phone while attempting this process*

Tools/files you will need: ( download link in parenthasis )
    1) RSD Lite ( http://www.mediafire.com/?c2tibonomyn )
    2) 2.0.1 droid sbf ( http://www.mediafire.com/?2nojyrkfznj )
    3) SBFCodec ( http://www.***********/file/47967929/61b4cf79/SBFCodec.html )
    4) Paint ( or any other photo image editor ) ***One extra step outlined in asteriks on step 3 is needed if you are using photoshop***
    5) frhed (hex editor) ( http://sourceforge.net/projects/frhed/files/ )

Steps:
    1) Run SBFCodec and open up the sbf file. This will extract all the smg files and header files to a folder on your desktop.

2) Using paint, or any other drawing program to create an image or edit a picture you want from online *Make sure you mirror the picture before saving it or later when you reverse the bytes your image will come out mirrored on your phone* and make it 480 pixels wide and 182 pixels tall. just save it as a 24 bit bmp file when you're done editing it.

3) Using frhed (or whatever Hex editor), open up your image and erase the first 54 bytes of data. ***If you used photoshop you also have to delete the last 2 bytes of data at the end*** The remaining bytes should be 262,080. Then reverse the bytes, in frhed go to edit and then pick reverse bytes.

4) Using frhed (or whatever Hex editor), open up the CG42.smg file in the folder created in step 1 and erase all bytes except the last 64 bytes of data (these 64 bytes of data should be FF's at the end of the file). Then copy the bytes created and edited in step 3 and paste at the begining of the CG42.smg file you deleted almost everything from. (The file should be exactly 262,144 bytes when finished).

5) Go back to the SBFCodec window and savethe sbf file (this creates the new sbf file with your custom boot logo) and name it whatever you want. like custom.sbf or anything that will let you know that this is the custom sbf file with your custom made boot logo.

6) Using RSD Lite, flash this sbf to your phone. It may take 5-10 minutes for the flashing to complete. (after the 10 minutes, it might say "failed", just click on the show device button once that happens and you'll have succeeded)

You now have a 2.0.1 stock phone with a custom boot image. Then go ahead and root your phone using a 2.1 rooted update.zip file with your theme or however you get back to your setup and you will have a custom boot logo of your choice with your choice of theme and setup making your phone more customized.

**All credit goes to daikonv over at androidforums.com**
    *I did edit the instructions a little to make it more understandable and informative*

If you need help feel free to ask... email me, private message me, public message me, aim message me, text me, call me, or post on this thread... my email is osynergyoescapeo@gmail.com, my aim screen name is osynergyoescapeo, and my cell number is 14403104269.

2. osynergyoescapeo

osynergyoescapeo Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone who finds this thread and either is making a cutom boot logo or has a custom boot logo, I would greatly appreciate if you could post the sbf file containing the custom boot logo along with a picture of what the boot logo looks like. It was so hard to find a tutorial or sbf file that had a boot logo I wanted and decided to help others out by making a collection of already made sbf files and a tutorial to make their own. Thanks and hope this helps...

3. DF Smod

DF Smod Silver Member

Ratings:
    +92
    I have always wondered if this was possible, thanks for the information

4. osynergyoescapeo

osynergyoescapeo Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Also if someone could please make a video tutorial to go along with my instructions, I would be greatly appreciative... I do not have the equipment to film, edit, and post a video thanks again.

5. osynergyoescapeo

osynergyoescapeo Member

Ratings:
    +0
    no problem man

6. gflam

gflam Developer Theme Developer Developer

Ratings:
    +13
    I think you should add a download section as well because i can't figure out where to get sbfcodec and i know a few other people have been unable to find it as well

7. kevdog

kevdog Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Here's my custom boot logo

Thanks

Attached Files:

8. osynergyoescapeo

osynergyoescapeo Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Gflam... I added download links next to all the items you need to complete this project, except for paint cuz it should already b on your pc... thanks Kevdog, now all we need is the sbf file uploaded if you still have it, i'll b uploading mine when i get my hands on my camera again...

9. gflam

Ratings:
    +13
    Thanks for the download section just one problem i don't have paint :p ha

10. osynergyoescapeo

osynergyoescapeo Member

Ratings:
    +0
    please tell me your kidding lol... cuz if not, my life was pretty short... and i'd have to say pretty incomplete lol... well incase your were serious i'll edit it to have the download link as well...

11. gflam

Ratings:
    +13
    No no no no i'm kidding ha
    although i don't use it i like gimp

12. osynergyoescapeo

osynergyoescapeo Member

Ratings:
    +0
    well any drawing program should work, there are special instructions for photoshop though, that i'm going to update my first post to include in just a minute...

13. osynergyoescapeo

osynergyoescapeo Member

Ratings:
    +0
    just make sure the program can save the files as a 24 bit bmp file!!!

14. osynergyoescapeo

osynergyoescapeo Member

Ratings:
    +0
    ok, updated the instructions to include the extra step that needs to be taken if your using photoshop, all the extra step is, is *if you used photo shop, you have to delete the last 2 bytes of data from your image, along with the first 54*

15. osynergyoescapeo

osynergyoescapeo Member

Ratings:
    +0
    ok, that should be it... if there are anymore requests, suggestions, help needed, or anything else... just do what the original post says and get ahold of me in some manner and we'll talk!

Search tags for this page
boot logo
change motorola boot logo
how to change motorola droid boot logo
logo da motorola

logo moto

logo motorola

m logo

moto logo

motorola boot logo

motorola logo