Changing to custom text msg 'notification' sound - impossible?

b684co

Reaction score
Have a new Rezound with recent OTA update. Have rebooted, finally got it all working, I thought. No rooting, etc.

But - I cannot get rid of the crappy lame default notification tone. I've used ALL the options suggested in these pages, but I cannot get anything but a combination of my selected custom sound AND the default sound. Ugly.

When I go into the 'set notification sound' option, using SMS/Menu/Settings/Notifications/set notification sound (for example), a brief
screen shows only 'Default Notification' and a red dot indicating it is selected (NO way to change that behavior). That quickly changes to show all my custom sounds; I pick a short mp3 that I like (it plays just fine), select it, back out, and off.

When I get a text message, my custom notification sound plays for about one second, then the tail-end of the (lame) 'default' sound.

I've gone into this setting from various menu points, as suggested in these pages. NONE of them correct the problem. I've rebooted, no help.

One person here suggested making sure 'default notification' was not selected - but there does not appear to be any menu item that allows changing that, however.

I would be very grateful for any suggestions. Many thanks in advance,

Richard in Montana:angry:

cush2push

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
At the top of the settings menu under personalize hit the sound tab the default is in there

Sent from a kang'd nexus

OP
B

b684co

Reaction score
At the top of the settings menu under personalize hit the sound tab the default is in there

Sent from a kang'd nexus

That's one of the first things I tried. As I said, the 'default' button comes up, all alone, then switches to a list of custom songs I've installed, all of which play just fine all alone. Apparently 'both' the default AND the selected custom song are trying to play at message notification, no matter what I do.
There *is no* 'deselect default' option.
Thanks for your reply tho.

cush2push

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
My bad i have a habit of scanning thru without actually reading. Im not so sure a factory reset will cure your ails though it sounds software related if you plan on keeping it stock i would take it to Verizon if not unlock and try a rom i had a issue with the ringer volume tapering down as it rang on the stock rom

Sent from a kang'd nexus

rck76

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Did you disable notifications for your stock messaging app?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

OP
B

b684co

Reaction score
Thanks Cush

No problem Cush. I'm grateful for any suggestions. Richard

OP
B

b684co

Reaction score
Did you disable notifications for your stock messaging app?

Thanks for suggestion. I looked in messages/settings/notifications; all the relevant checkboxes are checked - show notification, play sound, my selected sound, etc.
I thought it might be something like this that I've overlooked, and appreciate the comment.
Richard

rck76

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks for suggestion. I looked in messages/settings/notifications; all the relevant checkboxes are checked - show notification, play sound, my selected sound, etc.
I thought it might be something like this that I've overlooked, and appreciate the comment.
Richard

Sorry, I thought I read you were using go sms. Do you have more than one messaging app installed?

OP
B

b684co

Reaction score
Found the problem!!!

"I cannot get rid of the crappy lame default notification tone. I've used ALL the options suggested in these pages, but I cannot get anything but a combination of my selected custom sound AND the default sound. Ugly.
When I go into the 'set notification sound' option, using SMS/Menu/Settings/Notifications/set notification sound (for example), a brief
screen shows only 'Default Notification' and a red dot indicating it is selected (NO way to change that behavior). That quickly changes to show all my custom sounds; I pick a short mp3 that I like (it plays just fine), select it, back out, and off.
When I get a text message, my custom notification sound plays for about one second, then the tail-end of the (lame) 'default' sound.
Richard"
-----------------------
OK - thanks for the many suggestions. I found the problem - it WAS a piece of bad-acting software, which I installed about a week ago, way back when I was REALLY a Noob - The problem was Ringdroid and Ringo Lite. When those two were uninstalled, the problem went away.
BTW - the helpful post in another thread by Ann154, about where to put sounds - was also a big help.

Now I can specify exactly which sound the phone uses - including my side-loaded custom sounds. Phone seems to want mainly mp3's, tho.

OK for now, time to close the thread, and hope it helps someone else.

Richard in Montana

OP
B

b684co

Reaction score
Ringo Lite - Phishing scam???

OK - thanks for the many suggestions. I found the problem - it WAS a piece of bad-acting software, which I installed about a week ago, way back when I was REALLY a Noob - The problem was Ringdroid and Ringo Lite. When those two were uninstalled, the problem went away.
Richard in Montana

By the way, I had a problem uninstalling Ringo Lite. During the uninstall, a spammy web page loaded in the browser, an obvious PHISHING form asking for all kinds of personal info.

REALLY unsure about this program. I got it from cnet, don't see it on the Market.

Just saying what happened, draw your own conclusions.
Richard

JoeAndDroid

Reaction score
I had a different but equally weird problem that cropped up after the recent update. My Rezound would beep after every SMS I sent (when the recipient received it). I had sent notification and failure notification checked but play notification sound was unchecked. I unchecked all 3 boxes to no avail. Finally, I checked the notification sound box and selected a tone, pressed apply and then unchecked the box and pressed apply again and it stopped. The only problem not is I don't get the check mark in the SMS message indicating it was received. I think the update created some weird bug in the SMS app because it worked fine before.

Joe

By the way, I had a problem uninstalling Ringo Lite. During the uninstall, a spammy web page loaded in the browser, an obvious PHISHING form asking for all kinds of personal info.

REALLY unsure about this program. I got it from cnet, don't see it on the Market.

Just saying what happened, draw your own conclusions.
Richard