Changing the Shade

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by jrod2183, Jul 4, 2010.

1. jrod2183

jrod2183 New Member

Alright everyone, need your expert advice. Currently running Sapphire 0.6.2 with the Luna theme and love everything about it *except* for the shade, and I want to edit it to make the notifications easier to read - just not sure exactly how to do that. So far (and not sure if this is even the way to start) I copied the framework-res.apk to my computer, and renamed it .zip so I could view all of the files. Now I have no idea what to do from here, tried opening a few of the xml files but can't get them open....

Any advice would be great, thanks
  2. kevdog

kevdog New Member

10 characters WTF??????????????
  3. gflam

gflam Developer Theme Developer Developer

I use 7zip to edit the apks because it is usually a pain for me to convert back from zip to apk then when inside i copy the xml folder to my desktop and edit the xml files using HxD hex editor once that is all done i copy the xml file back into the apk and place the framework-res.apk file on the root of my sd card. Then open terminal emulator and use the following commands to push the framework-res.apk back into system/framework

su
    sysrw
    cd /sdcard
    cp -R framework-res.apk /system/framework
    sysro
    sync
    reboot

let me know how it goes and let me know if you need more help and as always make sure to do a backup before you change anything good luck
  4. jrod2183

jrod2183 New Member

Rather than using a hex editor, can I just use a picture editor to change the image, then copy it back into the framework-res.apk then push it back to the phone?
  5. Se7enLC

Se7enLC New Member

Depends on what you want to edit. If it's just the images, then yes. If you want to change the text colors, then you will need to edit the binary XML files.
  6. jrod2183

jrod2183 New Member

Depends on what you want to edit. If it's just the images, then yes. If you want to change the text colors, then you will need to edit the binary XML files.[/QUOTE]

Its just the images. I want to switch out the shade and change the stock helix launcher icon, gonna give it a shot now. Last time I tried it was a big mess haha got stuck in a boot loop but was able to fix it. We'll see how attempt #2 goes...