Changing the notification bar?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by budmonster, Apr 1, 2010.

1. budmonster

budmonster Guest

I'm curious on how you change the notification bar? I want to change the notification icons (replace the gmail notification icon w/ my own) and change the bar and drop down window..

do i have to go into the framework.apk and edit files to do this or where do i have to go to begin this?
  2. cupfulloflol

cupfulloflol New Member

The /system/framework/framework-res.apk is for most of the notification bar things. Some apps, mainly third party apps will need to be edited themselves. I actually think Gmail has to be edited itself, as I don't recall ever seeing it in framework. /system/app/Gmail.apk for gmail's specific app.

They should be in the res/drawable-hdpi/ folder in both cases. The icons should start with stat_ but I am sure there are exclusions to that logic. The bar I believe starts with status_bar_ and possibly title_bar_ They are usually pretty easy to tell what is what.
  3. icculusX

icculusX Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member

I just did this between last night and today, changed all the icons, status bar, and everyhting to a blue look... took time! Made an update.zip and it works great on UD9. Fun stuff.
  4. mwhartman

mwhartman Super Moderator/RS Premium Member

I used the framework file when I replaced the Verizon Wireless
  5. budmonster

budmonster Guest

so i just pull the framework.apk to my computer and replaced the image i want with mine? do i have to auto sign it or something or is their no need?

and once im done adding my images is their anything i have to do with the xml files? then how do i get the update framework back on my phone, what commands do i use?

thanks for the help and sorry about all the questions...
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2010
  6. nphil

nphil New Member

anything inside /system does not need to be signed. So just pull your framework and replace pngs. You only have to edit xml files if you want to change the text layout/color. For instance if you want white clock text/notifications, you have to do some xml editing. Use a hex editor for this.

Once you're done editing the framework-res.apk file to your liking, push it back to /system/framework/ by typing in a terminal:

adb push framework-res.apk /system/framework/

That's assuming you have the edited framework in your tools folder, and system partition mounted. Or you can just use root explorer.

Don't forget to chmod 644 /system/framework/framework-res.apk
    sync
    reboot

Always reboot after editing the framework.

btw are you good with photoshop? Would you be willing to help me modify some pngs?
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2010
  7. budmonster

budmonster Guest

Yeah I'm excellent w/ photoshop, got my associates degree in graphic design. I'm just horrible with coding LOL. I want to theme my phone, but I'm having some problems. I'm trying to figure out how to theme my notification bar and change the notification icons, for example, instead of just a white Gmail image, I want to replace it with my own graphic...

But ya I could do some some design stuff for ya, maybe you could code for me?
  8. Jim 777

Jim 777 Active Member

Please elaborate! So if I swap out images in my framework-res.apk, are you saying I just need to rename the apk to update.zip and apply it through nandroid?

I'm having problems getting icons of my choice to be used in the notification bar.
  9. budmonster

budmonster Guest

ya would like to know
  10. Jim 777

Jim 777 Active Member

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2010
  11. Jim 777

Jim 777 Active Member

Using root explorer, this didn't work for me. Any ideas? I did it just like the other APKs that took the edits fine. I'm thinking that because it's the framework-res, that there's something a bit different that needs to be done.

Any ideas?
  12. Jim 777

Jim 777 Active Member

Finally came across this... and it worked like a charm.

13. icculusX

icculusX Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member

Anyone have any issues with editing something badly in the framework or something? I have been slowly changing things here and there in photoshop and all has been great until my last group of edits. Now it all applies fine, and when I restart it looks great... but then all my apps start force-closing. I mean like market, rom manager, calendar, all of them just FC right when I click them... Trying to figure out what PNG I altered bad.

Any ideas?
  14. Jim 777

Jim 777 Active Member

Size maybe? Did you "add" any png files or are you strictly replacing existing and not adding any new file names? I also believe based on what I've seen, that you don't want any spaces in the file names.
  15. dirtleg

dirtleg New Member

Is it possible to copy the .png file that I want and replace the current one in RootExplorer?
  16. Jim 777

Jim 777 Active Member

You can't just copy and paste. You have to extract the files and change them out.
  17. dirtleg

dirtleg New Member

Ok so what's the easiest way to pull that file to my computer to replace the .png files..or can I do it completely on my phone? I already have android sdk on my computer, root explorer on my phone etc... I also have the .png files already as I'm just swapping some from adamz smoked glass without using the whole rom.

Sorry for the questions, most tutorials on here leave out that step, or just recommend using metamorph. I want to learn how to do this manually so I understand it all.
  18. kevdog

kevdog New Member

OK -- pull the framework-res.apk file and make three copies on your computer (in case you F**K it up) using adb. Copy #1 - Unzip, and pull out your .png files and edit them however you want. Open Copy #2 within WinRAR-7zip, and then drag and drop your new files into the correct spot within WinRAR. You are basically replacing the old files with the new ones but you are not unzipping/rezipping. Doing it this way you don't break the signature. You need to ensure the replaced image is the exact same name and if you are doing any .png.9 files -- you need to consult another guide how to prepare these with border edits and the patch tool. Once you have edited Copy #2 within WinRAR/7zip you can transfer or push back to the phone with adb.

What's Copy #3 for? In case you screw everything up and need a backup.

Good Luck -- Ive done this many times.

Or you can make a metamorph theme file (which is a little bit more versatile).
  19. dirtleg

dirtleg New Member

Awesome...I really appreciate the help. One last question..what is the file name that is the clock text..is it in the same file as all the other icons??

Ill work my way up to making metamorph themes..Not quite there yet! :):)
  20. rotordroid

rotordroid New Member

Search tags for this page
android change notification bar
android notification bar replacement
change android notification bar

change notification bar android

change notification bar icons android
how to change android notification bar
how to change notification bar on android
how to change notification icons on android
how to change process bar in android