Changing ringtone names

Discussion in 'Android Audio and Video' started by Yno, Jan 15, 2010.

1. Yno

Yno New Member

I did a quick search and didn't find an answer, sorry. I downloaded some ringtones and some of them show up as ten or twelve digit numbers. Is there any easy way to change these?
  2. 640k

640k Active Member

they're on your SD card. find a file browser (such as ASTRO) that works for you, or mount the SD card to a PC and rename them that way.
  3. Yno

Yno New Member

I tried that. I have a file manager, and it can't find them either. They show up in the ringtones when I go into Settings > Sound & Display, but they don't show up in any searches. Very strange. I found the file that contains the stock ringtones, but they are not there.
  4. 640k

640k Active Member

anything that you've added that isn't part of the OS is stored on your SD card (such as ringtones). they'll be in a folder somewhere on that card. attach it to a PC to find them.
  5. Yno

Yno New Member

I received them in a message from Verizon, saved them as ringtones, and they work, but they are for sure not on the SD card. I have gone through every folder, I don't have any files hidden, and I am not a computer noob. I even tried some recovery software. I would be willing to go to court and swear they are not there.
  6. MTDutcher

MTDutcher New Member

Missing/Renaming Ringtones

I agree. I am not a noob either. I have searched the entire SD card while it was "mounted" on my P.C. The ringtones are simply not there. I also checked to make sure the "folder" for my SD card was set to show hidden files, so it's not that the ringtones were hidden. I am at a loss for how to locate these ringtones and then rename them.

If anybody has discovered the secret, I'd be grateful!:motdroidhoriz:
  7. JudyT

JudyT New Member

Verizon Ringtones

I received 4 ringtones via messaging from Verizon. When I hit the play button on each and choose Menu from the Droid, would display "save the ringtone to SD card." I did this with no results. Plus I was using the Handcent version of Messaging.

I took out my SD card, used the Droid Messaging to read the messages. If you hold down next to the play button, in the white area, you get a list of items to choose from. Choose Save as a Ringtone and it will save it to your phone and put it on your Ringtone list.

There maybe otherways to do this, but this was the only way I could get it to work.
Search tags for this page

android ringtone display name

change name of ringtone

change name ringtone

change ringtone name
change ringtone names from zero

download ringtone with name editing

edit name ringtone

edit ringtone android
edit ringtone name android

name editing ringtoen

name ringtone editing