changing numbers question

jerry g

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
droid turbo
i got a new phone and plan on the 10th of march. i've been getting a lot of calls from collection agencies looking for the previous owner of this number. i've told them they have the wrong number several times but they keep calling back. do you think verizon would change my number for free if i stopped in? i read somewhere there was a 15 dollar fee for changing numbers but it isn't my fault they gave me a number with such baggage attached to it. what do you think?

JCo352

Reaction score
Whats the number? It might be my old number...lol j/k. I would call Verizon, I'm sure they would work something out with you and waive the fee, if you told them the situation.

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Whats the number? It might be my old number...lol j/k. I would call Verizon, I'm sure they would work something out with you and waive the fee, if you told them the situation.

+1, There's humanity out there even though it sometimes doesnt feel like it. See what VZW says.

This could be a prime candidate for whatever Verizon calls their Executive or top tier Customer Service, but if it's really a big deal, what's $15?

Let us know what goes down.

tehpriest

Reaction score
Different country same problem. T-Mobile gave me a used number and I started getting spam call straight away. Gave them a call and they suggested joining the caller preference scheme (UK only) which stops these calls (well some of them) I declined and asked for a new unused number. They gave me one immediately with no charge. Good luck with VZW.

gcon61

Reaction score
Number change is free online, $15 at store or by phone

You can change your wireless number online by signing in to "My Verizon" using your Account Owner user ID and password and doing the following:

1. Select the "My Services" tab.
2. Click on the "My Phone" tab on the left side of the page.
3. Click on "Change Phone Number" link located in the "My Phone Actions" section on the left side of the page and follow the steps provided.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
You really should have no problem changing your number if you explain the situation to VZW. When numbers are recycled there is supposed to be an extended waiting period to avoid wrong number situations such as those you describe. On the other hand, it may be that the deadbeat who had the number before you has continued to report his/her old number to creditors in order to avoid the calls you're getting.

If you can't change the number online without a charge, just get in touch with VZW. They'll change the number free of charge, I'm sure.

OP
J

jerry g

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
droid turbo
thank you for the replies. yep, i was able to get a number change and they waived the fee. no more getting woken up real early in the morning by those people. :icon_ lala: they seemed really persistent. they were like, "a lot of people say we have the wrong number." i wasn't too pleased but now i am, as long as it doesn't again.:icon_wink:

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
thank you for the replies. yep, i was able to get a number change and they waived the fee. no more getting woken up real early in the morning by those people. :icon_ lala: they seemed really persistent. they were like, "a lot of people say we have the wrong number." i wasn't too pleased but now i am, as long as it doesn't again.:icon_wink:
Sorry I didn't get to read your post earlier. A mobile telephone number change (MTN) is a $15 charge if it is just to change the number. However, in your case, getting harassing phone calls, they will absolutely change the number for you and waive the $15 MTN change. Another reason they will waive the fee is if you moved to a new location and needed a local area code. I just went through that with 3 numbers on my account. Also watch your bill next month, you should see a $15 credit at the top of your bill because you will see the $15 charge on your MTN change. Just a heads up, but it is a wash.

OP
J

jerry g

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
droid turbo
so i called my old number to see what message if any the collection agencies would get when they called back and got the previous owner's voice mail. i didn't expect that :laugh:

zakany

Reaction score
My wife had that same problem. Kept telling the callers that they had the wrong number. Took about a year of those damn calls to get them to stop.

Worse, though, is that I have a rare name. There are no more than ten people in the world with my first and last name. Of course, some person with my name had to live within twenty miles of me - not even a relation and about forty years older. He must have been a player in the day because I used to get calls from horny octogenarians who wanted to hook up with their old love.