changing gmail accounts

graygrannyonate

Reaction score
How do I go about changing the default gmail account? When I first got my droid I had it set to my default gmail account. Because the contacts, etc., are all cluttered with phone contacts, its hard to pick out my email contacts. I have set up a second gmail account and would like to make that my back-up account.

I can't find directions anywhere. Would someone please direct me?

Thanks!
Deb

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Are you simply wanting to add another gmail account, or are you trying to get rid of the current gmail account and make the second account your new gmail account?

OP
G

graygrannyonate

Reaction score
Can I do both?? I would like to keep the original account on the phone, but not use it as my sync account. Of course I can always check that through the gmail app. The second account, the new account, is the one I want to use for sync.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Can I do both?? I would like to keep the original account on the phone, but not use it as my sync account. Of course I can always check that through the gmail app. The second account, the new account, is the one I want to use for sync.

I'm not sure how this is going to work out for you but to add another gmail account use the gmail app on your phone/menu button/accounts/add account.

That should add both accounts, but you can't not have them both synced. How else is it going to check the mail?

What you might want to do is remove the contacts from your old gmail account if you just want to use the new ones.

OP
G

graygrannyonate

Reaction score
What your are saying then, is if I have both accounts in the standard email app that the phone will be backed up to both accounts. That clarifies my question.

Then, is there a way that I can log into Google, on my computer, to see what is backed up (apps, etc). My phone was caught in a boot loop about a week after I bought it. After resetting the phone, and logging back into google, my apps and information were all there. So, again, clarifying, I could basically log into either google account and all of my information would be there??

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
What your are saying then, is if I have both accounts in the standard email app that the phone will be backed up to both accounts. That clarifies my question.

Then, is there a way that I can log into Google, on my computer, to see what is backed up (apps, etc). My phone was caught in a boot loop about a week after I bought it. After resetting the phone, and logging back into google, my apps and information were all there. So, again, clarifying, I could basically log into either google account and all of my information would be there??

Google backs up your apps. Unless you do a hard factory data reset those apps stay in your downloads in the Google Market. Gmail backs up your contacts.

Now it may be that you will have to sync the other gmail account as well, I'm not sure. This would be so the contacts would show up. Try just adding the account first and see what happens. If the contacts show up from the second account you will be fine.

Bxrider117

Reaction score
A couple of weeks ago, I had to create a new gmail account because my main one was disabled. I lost my paid apps but I was able to set up two new gmail accounts and sync them to my phone. I did have to clear the data and cache to log in with a new gmail account. As far as my contacts I exported them to my SD card. before wiping my phone

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
A couple of weeks ago, I had to create a new gmail account because my main one was disabled. I lost my paid apps but I was able to set up two new gmail accounts and sync them to my phone. I did have to clear the data and cache to log in with a new gmail account. As far as my contacts I exported them to my SD card. before wiping my phone

Yeah, but they are not looking to dump the first email account. Simply put the OP wants to add a second gmail account, and make sure the contacts carry over to the Droid.

Vikam

Reaction score

Yeah, but they are not looking to dump the first email account. Simply put the OP wants to add a second gmail account, and make sure the contacts carry over to the Droid.

No but it seems like the question is if it is possible to merge the accounts so that apps associated with the original account can be transfered to the second account being created?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

No but it seems like the question is if it is possible to merge the accounts so that apps associated with the original account can be transfered to the second account being created?

If I'm understanding what she is saying is she wants to set up a second gmail account that has email addresses without phone numbers, but wants those to sync to her phone as well. I'm not sure that making a second account is the right way to do this. We know you can have Droid filter out contacts that have phone numbers but she appears to want both hence the second account.

Vikam

Reaction score

See above question, too me it seems like the question is about possibility to transfer app info as well as contacts and etc.

OP
G

graygrannyonate

Reaction score
Just me, I have to post the wrong question in order to get to the correct one.

While I am technologically sound, the droid is so new to me.

How do you filter?

Any one suggest a good manual or site? I tried to search the forums before I began asking dumb questions. Couldn't find the right search terms.

Thanks!

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
In gmail on line in the settings there is a filter that can be set up there. You will see create new filter when you click on the tab.

I've never used it so you'll have to investigate that yourself.

OP
G

graygrannyonate

Reaction score
Sorry, I didn't see that my original post went through. This one is a bit different . . .and will be my final post. Much thanks for the help.

My apologies. Sometimes I just have to ask the wrong question to get to the right one.

While I am technologically sound, the droid is new. I'd love suggestions for extra reading so that I know what I can do.

So, the real question must be, how do I filter?

And the 2nd question is, I've set up the 2nd gmail account. I do have a calendar and have made entries in the calendar. The sync screen doesn't list the calendar for the 2nd account. How do I get the droid to see the calendar in the newest account so that it can also be synced?

its.mike

Reaction score
Make sure the calendar sync is disabled for the first account before adding the second account.