Changing apks in the zip file during ROM install

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by aggiechase37, May 1, 2011.

1. aggiechase37

aggiechase37 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Got a question. Don't know if this is possible, but I thought I would ask anyway and see what you guys think. I'm wondering if I can (on a PC) open up the zip file of a dl'ed ROM and change individual apks and then install that on my phone.

For instance. If I have a downloaded GPA14 and a downloaded CM 7.0.2 sitting on my PC, and open them both up and say, trade the stock mms.apk on GPA 14 for CM's customized mms.apk, would that work without having to do anything more special than just copy and pasting? I think it would be cool to trade out apks from other ROMS on the ROM you like best, but I don't know if this is possible, and wanted to get some feedback before trying something stupid and bricking my phone.

Thanks in advance!

2. aggiechase37

aggiechase37 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, here's what I've done so far:

On a PC, I unzipped the GPA14Deodexed zip folder. I then removed unwanted apks, and cut and pasted the new apks that I extracted from the CM zip using 7zip. Then I went back and re-zipped GPA14. So in theory, I now have a zippped GPA14 with the apks I want ready to install? Am I asking for trouble? Or will this work?

3. OSX2000

OSX2000 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    It should work. I've applied entire themes to ROMs this way with complete success.

4. aggiechase37

aggiechase37 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Well that didn't do anything. I unzipped both zip files. Replaced the apk, then rezipped the one I was going to flash. In recovery, I hit install and it goes starts and stops almost immediately. Tried to rename it update.zip and do the apply thing, but that didn't work either.

I think I remember something about these zips having to be signed or something, but I don't know how to do that. Does anyone know a process for this that would actually work?

5. jengas kahn

jengas kahn Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Don't unzip them. open up the rom with winrar, then drag your mms.apk into the system/app directory, a little prompt will come up, just hit ok. Should be good to go.

Oh yeah, you should make sure that the mms app will actually work on gpa.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

#5 jengas kahn, May 1, 2011
    Last edited: May 1, 2011
  6. aggiechase37

aggiechase37 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm trying to port the one from CM7.0.2. Not having the black background and different notification lights is slowly killing me inside.

Search tags for this page

android rom zip modify

edit rom zips

how to change roms .zip

how to change roms from zip to jga?

how to edit android zip rom

how to edit androud rom zip

how to edit rom zip file

how to edit zip files in android

rom edit zip for android

stock mms.apk of cm 7.0