Changes Coming to Verizon's EDGE and MORE Everything Plans!

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel XL/Galaxy Note 8
Twitter
DroidNCState
verizon-wireless-techcrises.jpg

Changes Coming October 16 – 24 Payments, 75% Paid Off to “Edge Up,” $15 Line Discount

Verizon has a few changes to introduce to its Edge monthly device payment plan and a couple for its MORE Everything plans starting October16. Verizon is also adjusting its single line plans, moving them from their original $60 and $75 price points.

Here are the details.

Verizon EDGE changes:

• Number of payments moving from 20 months to 24 months
  • Customers must pay off 75% of their current phone to upgrade (was 60% previously)
  • Or customers can upgrade after 18 months, which ends up being 75% (was 12 months previously)
  • 500MB to 8GB plans now receive a $15 per line discount with Edge (was $10 previously)
  • 8GB and above plans still receive the $25 discount (no change)
A couple of items to think about with this change – 1) You now have to pay more off in order to upgrade, and; 2) Your monthly payment amounts will be reduced. If you liked upgrading more often, this isn’t great news. If you don’t upgrade often and want lower monthly payments, well, then this isn’t bad news.

MORE Everything changes:

• New plan – $20 500MB plan, with unlimited talk and text; $15/250MB overage; eligible for Edge discount
  • $60 1GB plan, with unlimited talk and text; $15/500MB overage; includes hotspot; $15 Edge discount
  • $75 2GB plan, with unlimited talk and text; $15/1GB overage; includes hotspot; $15 Edge discount

So what do you think about this?

Source: Droid Life

Last edited:

zinethar

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8 and Note 10
And this was supposed to make them more competitive? For me it is a screwing and one more reason to leave.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
It's no rumor. I am on with Verizon right now and they've confirmed it. It's HIGHLY suspicious that this would drop 2 weeks before the new Flagship Droid Turbo is announced. I am investigating if I were to Edge up tomorrow, maintaining the old plan, then return the phone within my 14 days and replace it with the Turbo, would I retain the old Edge payment plans or would I move to the new.

IMHO it's a strategic move to eliminate the Turbo from the less expensive Edge plan, being that you can Edge up sooner and with less of the total paid off. For me, I am at 12 months now, so I can Edge up this month.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Glad I just joined the edge ranks for the note 4,but I wouldn't mind them knocking $5 off each month.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

OP
Preach2k

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Twitter
DroidNCState
After talking to a friend of mine at Verizon it is confirmed. This will not affect those already on these plans until after you Edge up! Then it will go into affected when you try to Edge up next year.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Well, just got off the phone in a heated "discussion" about how this is highly suspicious of the timing, almost as though it was a strategic move to eliminate the Turbo (a high cost phone), from the Edge plan for upgrades in 12 months as it were. I am at the 12 month anniversary, and I did confirm that this new plan rolls out on the 16th, so anyone who Edges on the 16th or after will be at 24/70/18 as described above. This means that if you are like me (and a great percentage of the members who are the most outspoken here, aka the Moderators and the more active members), you will be upgrading with the new flagship phones as they're announced in this time of year, some already upgraded, but a good number waiting for the Turbo and Nexus 6 before making their final decision.

So I made it very clear that by doing this 2 weeks before the Turbo is being announced it will alienate some of their biggest advocates, both here on DF and also across the entire web on other forums and such. We are the ones who set the pace for the rest of the members who look to our expertise and experiences to decide which phones and plans are best. If we are once again having the carpet pulled out from under ourselves by Verizon, as was the case with the elimination of the Unlimited Data plan, and are once again being forced to buy the phones outright instead of being able to at least finance them over a reasonable timeframe, and are also now being forced to wait until 6 months past the next flagship phone announcements this time next year in order to upgrade, then we will be far less willing to speak highly of Verizon and this move - which may have been to save costs on the surface, will backfire in an exodus from Verizon by their most loyal client base.

I am expecting a call back from them after my complaint has been reviewed.

I was also told if I Edged up now, and then swapped the phone out before the 14 days, I would retain the old Edge plan at 20 months/12 months to next upgrade/60% of the total paid but I would also have a $35 restocking fee on the one I am "using" to hold my place in line.

Last edited:

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
Well since we were considering Verizon vs Tmobile I think this cements the incentive for me to choose Tmobile.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Please see my edits above.

OP
Preach2k

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Twitter
DroidNCState
Well since we were considering Verizon vs Tmobile I think this cements the incentive for me to choose Tmobile.

Tmobile is horrible here in North Carolina. Sprint is just as bad. Verizon has the best service here so I am stuck with them.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Tmobile is horrible here in North Carolina. Sprint is just as bad. Verizon has the best service here so I am stuck with them.
Vzw & at&t are the only options here & at&t sucks.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
After talking to a friend of mine at Verizon it is confirmed. This will not affect those already on these plans until after you Edge up! Then it will go into affected when you try to Edge up next year.

Not next year, starting this THURSDAY! Hence my big issue here...it's less than 2 weeks before the Turbo is set to be announced. Coincidence??? Conspiracy??? Highly suspicious at best and a clear faux pas by the marketing team if so, as they're looking at numbers as the motivation when then should be looking at client loyalty and testimonials as the motivation to keep this plan as it is, or at least to not reduce the upgrade period from 12 months to 18 months. I see myself as one of a lesser and lesser hold-outs for Verizon, and if you follow me at all, you know I am always talking about how much they are actually willing to do for a loyal customer if you hold their feet to the fire.

This is going to have a ripple effect if it goes through which could result in the cream of the crop, their most loyal and most outspoken of members to finally say enough is enough. I for one don't have $700 to drop on a new Turbo, however I can certainly see my way to a few bucks more per month to move from the MAXX to the Turbo, but not if it means I won't be able to Edge up this time next year to the newest and greatest as I am this year and have every year previously since the OGD.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
This is probably why they pulled back on that throttling thing a couple of weeks ago.

Could very well be. I also mentioned that there would be petitions to have them stop this change, so I am now suggesting we start one, and I for one am intent on being the first signature as I am announcing it here. Who wants to join with me on a petition to have them reconsider this move so close to the announcement of the Turbo???