Change the GPS navigation voice

Wade71

Reaction score
Has anyone heard of a way to change the GPS navigation voice? I have been looking around for updates, widgets, or programing changes to do this but have not found anything.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

viperboy

Reaction score
Has anyone heard of a way to change the GPS navigation voice? I have been looking around for updates, widgets, or programing changes to do this but have not found anything.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

As of right now, it is just the one default voice. No way to change it at the moment.

gdoane

Reaction score
The voice navi is nice, but seriously...

headroom.gif

I feel like I'm listening to Max Headroom's sister.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
It's the same "woman" who announces who is calling me on my land line at home. And while it's flattering to know that she finds me so fascinating that she's following me around to help me navigate, I wonder (a) how she can announce phone numbers at home when we're out and (b) what my wife thinks about this.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score

More Stephen Hawking's sister IMO. Max Headroom spoke in sampled sound bites (that stuttered and repeated). Google Nav clearly uses text-to-speech synthesis.

gdoane

Reaction score

More Stephen Hawking's sister IMO. Max Headroom spoke in sampled sound bites (that stuttered and repeated). Google Nav clearly uses text-to-speech synthesis.

The synthesis is obvious here in Phoenix where there are a lot of hispanic names.

For example, the voice navi told me to turn left on Estrella Parkway. That's pronounced ES-TRAY-YAH. Not ES-TRELL-UH. Estrella is the spanish word for "star". The phone should know that, it supports Spanish as one of the six languages it does.

My Spanish teacher would have me in detention for fifty years for pronouncing like the Droid navi chick.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel

The synthesis is obvious here in Phoenix where there are a lot of hispanic names.

For example, the voice navi told me to turn left on Estrella Parkway. That's pronounced ES-TRAY-YAH. Not ES-TRELL-UH. Estrella is the spanish word for "star". The phone should know that, it supports Spanish as one of the six languages it does.

My Spanish teacher would have me in detention for fifty years for pronouncing like the Droid navi chick.

it pronounces it the way it's spelled pretty much.

if you didn't know spanish i'm sure you'd pronounce it the same. over I went over to Pleasanton it's pronounced PLEH-SEN-TON but the Droid pronounced it PLEE-EH-SEN-TON. Threw me off and almost missed my exit, but i can see why it does that

Mr. Premium

Reaction score
I changed the accent to english instead of american and I like it better. I think it's easier to understand.

gazzafizza

Reaction score
I changed the accent to english instead of american and I like it better. I think it's easier to understand.

I switched too, but she has some problems with abbreviations. She calls "Dr" (drive) "doctor" and "CT" (connecticut) "court".
She's STILL better than Microsoft Samantha.