Change The Backlight Duration Of Your Samsung Device's Capacitive Buttons

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

The Galaxy S6 and Note 5 have some crazy bright capacitive button back light's. This is great when you are outside on a sunny day, but can be rather annoying if you are laying in bed. You can easily reduce your screen's brightness, but there isn't a way to dim the capacitive buttons, however there is a way to change the duration or turn the backlight off all together.

To the backlight grab the Button Light Settings for root users app from the link below. There are options for the stock 1.5 second duration, an option to turn the lights off, an option to keep the backlights on as long as your screen is on, or an option to set your own duration.

via XDA

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
So did Samsung remove this from the Settings? I have control over mine in the Note Edge under Settings, Display and Wallpaper, Touch Key Light Duration:

Screenshot_2015-09-28-08-58-24.png

Reactions: cr6

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I wondered the same as I've always had this feature stock on all of my Galaxy S devices.
(I always keep mine turned off)

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I used the nonroot app since I got my Note 5. I prefer the buttons off. I got used to on screen buttons and having the light up somehow bugged me. Glad its possible with no root.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
So they removed the option?

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I think I'll turn mine off too. I tried it once & it was weird, but the muscle memory should get me over that.

I haven't had mine on since the S3 and Note 2. I had the white versions of those phones and the lit up keys had light bleed that surrounded them. It bugged me so I turned them off. I haven't had a white phone since, but the habit has stuck with me through the years.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
It's a little weird now to not see them, but I'm catching up on everything during my lunch break & in & out of apps. Haven't missed the back button yet. It'll take some getting used to, but I'm gonna stick with it this time. Haha

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Yeah. That's strange. I forget what the default was. Was it 6 seconds? Because I'm pretty sure I purposely changed mine to 1.5, but maybe that was where I went after having shut them off for a while.

My next phone will have the onscreen buttons, so I'm not worried about this either way. The Note 4's aren't super bright to me, even in the dark, but I kinda like having them off now. If nothing else, maybe I'll get a few more seconds of battery life not having to power those lights. Haha!