Change system text

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by czerdrill, Mar 28, 2010.

1. czerdrill

czerdrill Silver Member

Ratings:
    +12
    Probably an easy question but where can I change the system text, like menu texts, warning texts etc. Maybe in an xml file somewhere?

Example would be where it tells you to plug in the phone if it's around 15% charge. Anyway to change that text?

2. Corinacakes

Corinacakes DF Super Moderator Theme Developer

Ratings:
    +3
  3. skourg3

skourg3 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Are you looking to change what the text says, or just the font? If you want to change what the text says, I'm not really sure.

If you're just looking to change the font, then you have a couple of options (if you're rooted; not sure about unrooted). MetaMorph works, but you can also just download a .ttf font you like, rename it DroidSans.ttf, and push it into /system/fonts. This can be done with adb push, root explorer, etc. Or you can throw it on the SD Card then copy it w/root explorer or a terminal emulator. Anyway, it is really just a matter of overwriting the old .ttf.

PS: After overwriting the font, your phone will probably instantly reboot (unless you're using MetaMorph). This is normal.

PPS: I've heard of people screwing stuff up and getting stuck in endless boot loops while changing fonts. This can be fixed if you are comfortable with ADB and such, and I haven't had it happen myself, but it's something to note.

PPPS: I recommend backing up the old .ttf just in case you run into something you don't like on the new one. Some fonts have random unnecessary characters replacing some symbols that become annoying while web browsing and such.

4. czerdrill

czerdrill Silver Member

Ratings:
    +12
    yeah i want to change the actual text, not the font. it's gotta be stored somewhere, just don't know where or if it's even changeable without messing something else up...whenever i try to open any of the xml files i get a "not well formed" error, so not sure what i'm doing wrong there, but i'm sure the verbiage is in one of them

5. cupfulloflol

cupfulloflol Senior Member

Ratings:
    +23
    Open the .xml files in a hex editor. I would assume it would be somewhere in the framework, but I am not sure really. I haven't stuck my nose in many xml files.

6. virtualhuman

virtualhuman Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Are there any FAQs/guides/resources on Metamorph? A list of ROMs it definitely works with, at least? I've searched, but haven't been able to find any.

I'm on Simply Stunning 2.2 and would like to try MM but would also like to know I'm not playing with fire.

7. czerdrill

czerdrill Silver Member

Ratings:
    +12
    ok took a look in the framework's xml files with a hex editor and couldnt find anything that i wanted in there. so i'm assuming its stored elsewhere, not sure where they hah

Search tags for this page

change font unrooted android

droid razr unrooted font change
font changer app for unrooted android device
font changer for unrooted android
font changer unrooted for android
fonts for android unrooted
fonts for unrooted android
how to change font of unrooted phones

how to change font on unrooted android

unrooted android phones font and viewer