Change spacing between icons and widgets?

ST1NG3R

Reaction score
Is there any way to do this or an app that would allow the settings to be changed? I'm in love with this phone but I can't stand how a huge gap is created when you put certain apps and icons next to each other due to there only being 4 rows. It kills the look and annoys me that I have enough space for an entire 5th row, but the phone won't allow me to place anything in it.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
they're preset spaces. Each app/widget take up a certain amount of space on the home screen.

Looking clean and organized to me :dunno:

skourg3

Reaction score
This annoyed me at first too, but I got used to it pretty quickly. I think part of the reasoning for it is that when you switch to landscape it can keep the same height/width. Open your keyboard so the screen rotates and watch the vertical gap disappear while a horizontal gap opens between icons/widgets, while they stay the same size.

coolkidd

Reaction score
Well, these spaces are presets because of the orientation of the Droid when holding vertical and horizontal. It is not like an iPhone that your apps are stuck in vertical mode (even if you put it on horizontal).

Droid adjust its icons when in vertical or horizontal mode so it has to have the right spaces or else your icons will get cropped or will shrink (now you do not want that, right?)

OP
S

ST1NG3R

Reaction score
This gap in the middle of my screen is driving my crazy, going to have to make a background with something right in the middle since that's where the focus point is...

JessiesGirl

Reaction score
This gap in the middle of my screen is driving my crazy, going to have to make a background with something right in the middle since that's where the focus point is...

Have you tried moving the icons and widgets around? Tap and hold. The widget will get a little yellow box around it and the phone will vibrate. Then you can drag the icon/widget/shortcut wherever you want it to be (even to a different homescreen)

aosman

Reaction score

Same here! :mad: I don't like the big gap! what a wast of space.. .I don't really care about the horizontal (landscape) arrangement of the icons especially since it only works when the keyboard is open and I rarely open the keyboard anyway. We could have an extra row if that gap was smaller. Anyone knows if there is an app or a tweak that can be done to the phone to control this space between the rows?

other than that, I love my Droid :heart:

ViciousCircle

Android Addict
Premium Member
Reaction score
If you don't mind a different home app, and also care to do some customization, you can make the spacing and icon size anything you want with SweeterHome2...

aosman

Reaction score
If you don't mind a different home app, and also care to do some customization, you can make the spacing and icon size anything you want with SweeterHome2...

I am already using Home++ and very happy with it. I never heard of SweeterHome2 but I will look into it tonight.

I wonder if there is a property or a system setting that can easily be changed on a rooted Droid?

backlash

Reaction score
If the icons bug you, you can try out "more icons" there is a paid version and a free one. I thought about purchasing it.

OP
S

ST1NG3R

Reaction score
I might have to give that app a try, but I designed my own custom background that fills the awkward gap in-between the icons and the clock with an image, so it looks pretty good now.

Jill2813

Reaction score
If the icons bug you, you can try out "more icons" there is a paid version and a free one. I thought about purchasing it.

Thanks trying more icons and so far I :heart: it:greendroid:

Rento

Reaction score
Anyone ever make a hack/app for this? the Extra Icons app isn't that great. Close, but not what I need.