Change Market App Icons!!!

Discussion in 'Android Themes' started by destinydmm, Mar 23, 2010.

1. destinydmm

destinydmm Member

Ratings:
    +0
    So I was searching around online on how to change the Market app icons. Most ppl know that to do so you have to re-sign the app. Well I stumbled upon a gold mine!
    mixpix405 over @ XDA found a way to change the icons and re-sign the apk. I attached the re-signing folder. All credit goes to him and all those that he mentioned as well. I didn't see this here on Droid Forums and wanted to share the wealth!!! :icon_ banana::motdroidvert::icon_ banana:

Check out his instructions below:

mixpix405[/B wrote:
    "I've never started a thread here, as I rarely have a unique idea - but this time I've decided to bite the bullet and share my experience.

It has been discussed on these forums about editing the APKs for non-stock apps in order to make the icon match the theme throughout the OS (as opposed to using Bettercut or similar to just change the homescreen icon). It has also been discussed elsewhere, but I can't find the link.

My problem was very similar, yet different, so I figured I'd play around and see what I could come up with.

I use the unbelievably sexy GlossSuite theme by Moonsspoon which uses this cool little icon in the notification bar to alert you to having a new SMS (and maybe MMS, not sure...).

I also use the app from the market called SMS Popup. If you dont know what it is, check it out - very handy. One of my favorite features of the app is that you can use it for your SMS notifications, and it allows you to set a custom vibe pattern and it will flash the LED the color of your choice - both very helpful to let you know that it's an SMS you're getting instead of a call or whatever...

You need to turn off the native SMS app's notifications when you use this feature of SMS Popup so that you dont get 2 alerts every time you get a message. The drawback to this, while using a theme like GlossSuite, is that the notification icon for messages that SMS Popup uses is the stock icon:

This is only a problem if you're OCD like myself.

I had already gotten the png icon extracted from the GlossSuite theme in hopes that I could just swap it out with the icon inside the SMS Popup apk (if I could find it, that is).

So I decided to crack open the APK for SMS Popup and see if I could find the icon used and what I could do to make it use the icon from the GlossSuite theme.

Inside the APK in the /res/drawable folder there are 2 images: The app's icon, and the icon used in the notification bar. And to make it even easier, the file name was exactly the same as the file used by the GlossSuite theme! Easy enough!

I used 7zip (WinRAR should work just fine too) to:
    1. Open the APK
    2. Navigate to the /res/drawable folder
    3. Delete the stat_notify_sms.png
    4. Drag and drop the png I extracted from the theme into it's spot
    5. Delete the META-INF folder inside the SMS Popup APK
    -- I got this info from the previously mentioned thread about swapping non-stock icons. It is so that when you resign the APK in the next step, the keys don't conflict with what the APK dev has used (or something like that - I admittedly don't know anything about keys and signing and all that jazz)
    6. Close your archiving application.

I then used this auto-signing tool posted by "Dave Da illest 1" to resign the APK using the testkeys. It had to be edited slightly to sign APKs instead of ZIP files. If you want to download my edited version of the auto-signing tool, click here.

Uninstalled the previous version of the app, copied the APK over to my SDcard and then used AppManager to install the APK, and now:

(yes, I know there are typos...)

It works!

I'm sure most of your brainiacs here at XDA have figured this out on your own, but I couldnt find any solid information on it so I figured I'd share what little knowledge I had on the subject.

If you want to try this for yourself and want the icon from the GlossSuite theme, it is here.

And if you just happen to have GlossSuite installed and are using SMS Popup and would like my already edited version of the APK, click here.
    [DISCLAIMER: If my sharing of this APK goes against any rules of the forum, please excuse my ignorance. If I find out this is the case, and a mod hasn't beat me to the punch, I'll gladly remove this link!]

So - with all that being said, I should clarify that I haven't done any theme creation (although I have edited a few pngs here and there, but nothing major), so obviously this bit of information is probably well below most of you... But if it can help anyone, then yay for my first real contribution to this community.
    "

2. Bear in NM

Bear in NM Active Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Destiny,

Thanks for this link/info. Finding anything on XDA is a real chore. This looks like it might be easier than copying market apps to system to morph any changes.

Question though. Do you know whether this resigning will break the Market Updates?

Thanks,

Craig

3. destinydmm

destinydmm Member

Ratings:
    +0
    honestly I have no idea. I guess if one has an older copy of an app, that has definitely been updated. They could do this and see if the market will notice that it needs to be updated.

4. budmonster

budmonster Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I changed the stock browser icon to the HTC Desire browser icon successfully using this method. Will this cause any problems? I want to change the rest of my icons.

5. destinydmm

destinydmm Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Stock apps don't need this done b/c they are in the /system/app directory & you theme them with metamorph. Stanrc made a good & simple theme/theme base for all the stock apps & the notification bar(framework). But market/3rd party apps have to be re-signed. Which may keep them from synchronizing w/ the market for updates.

6. budmonster

budmonster Guest

Ratings:
    +0

can you point me to the Stanrc post your talking about please? thank you.

7. destinydmm

destinydmm Member

Ratings:
    +0
  8. budmonster

budmonster Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    im trying to theme some of my non-stock apps. i just tried to theme the tweetcaster app and widget, but im having trouble. I dont know if its a signing problem or what? I pulled the apk from from /data/app/ and used 7zip to edit it, all i did was replace some images with mine, didnt touch any 9.png images at all. i then placed the apk in the auto-sign folder, it then generated a new .apk thats suppose to work now. i placed the new apk on my sdcard. using root explorer, i tried to install but go an error. i attached a picture of the error message. maybe someone can help me out.

#8 budmonster, May 3, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2010
  9. Wayoff

Wayoff New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    5. Delete the META-INF folder inside the SMS Popup APK

Thank you so much for posting this! I have been racking my brain trying to figure out why I couldn't get my apk to install.. This did the trick :)

Search tags for this page
application that you can change the theme of apps

how to change market app icons

how to change the icon of an app on a droid
how to edit android market app icon
how to edit change icons market apk