Change font in MIUI

Mryank9

Reaction score
First off, want to say that this ROM is awesome. But I hate the default Arial font. Is there a way to change it? Are they any fonts released for MIUI yet? Not 100% on how that all works. Any help appreciated

iamasongnow

Reaction score
need
-root explorer
-whatever font you want. the regular version and a bold one.

in root explorer press the mount button at the top right so that it says mount r/w instead of r/o. navigate to whatever font you want (it would help if they were in the same folder). rename the regular version "Arial.ttf" and name the bold version "Arial-Bold.ttf" both without quotes, of course. then hit the menu soft-key, choose multi select, and then tap both of those files to choose them. then hit copy and navigate to /system/font folder (make sure it is mounted r/w). now you will hit paste. once you've done that you'll see the two arial fonts will have different permissions than the rest of the .ttf files in the folder. long press each one (one at a time) and change permissions to user: read, write; group: read; others: read. it will end up looking like this rw-r--r--

and there you go, you've successful changed your system font. reboot the phone and you're done.

OP
M

Mryank9

Reaction score
Is there a way I can just copy a font zip to my sd card and flash it using clockwork? Or will that not work with MIUI?

LilBit

Reaction score
need
-root explorer
-whatever font you want. the regular version and a bold one.

in root explorer press the mount button at the top right so that it says mount r/w instead of r/o. navigate to whatever font you want (it would help if they were in the same folder). rename the regular version "Arial.ttf" and name the bold version "Arial-Bold.ttf" both without quotes, of course. then hit the menu soft-key, choose multi select, and then tap both of those files to choose them. then hit copy and navigate to /system/font folder (make sure it is mounted r/w). now you will hit paste. once you've done that you'll see the two arial fonts will have different permissions than the rest of the .ttf files in the folder. long press each one (one at a time) and change permissions to user: read, write; group: read; others: read. it will end up looking like this rw-r--r--

and there you go, you've successful changed your system font. reboot the phone and you're done.

I just tried this and I got stuck at the M logo :(

iamasongnow

Reaction score
hmm..... sorry dude. i'm not sure why that would happen. i've done it a bunch of times without fail.

hope you had a nandroid! if not, then turn the phone off, boot into recovery, data/cache wipe and install any rom you have on your sd card. that'll at least get your phone working.

trial and error, my friend. trial and error...

welterbf123

Reaction score
hmm..... sorry dude. i'm not sure why that would happen. i've done it a bunch of times without fail.

hope you had a nandroid! if not, then turn the phone off, boot into recovery, data/cache wipe and install any rom you have on your sd card. that'll at least get your phone working.

trial and error, my friend. trial and error...
Try 'Font Installer' in the market.

LilBit

Reaction score
I searched and I found a post about this issue, and the poster had the same problem I did; it only worked for them when replacing Arial.ttf or clocktopia.ttf ONLY for some reason. I tried that and it worked, but whenever I changed both Arial.ttf and Arial-Bold.ttf, I got a boot loop again lol.....very weird!

martino2k6

Reaction score
I searched and I found a post about this issue, and the poster had the same problem I did; it only worked for them when replacing Arial.ttf or clocktopia.ttf ONLY for some reason. I tried that and it worked, but whenever I changed both Arial.ttf and Arial-Bold.ttf, I got a boot loop again lol.....very weird!
The bold file needs to be replaced with a genuine bold font. If you replace it with a regular font you will get boot loops.

frostthejack

Reaction score
um there is actually a much easier way now with the latest release in theme manager it allows you to change fonts

onsht1kll

Reaction score
um there is actually a much easier way now with the latest release in theme manager it allows you to change fonts

But u can only change the font to a font that u have inside a theme .. the font changer didn't work for me though .. picked a font that had the regular and bold file and it still bootlooped for me .. weird ..

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App