1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Change Batter Color/Icon?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by pyro6128, Feb 6, 2010.

1. pyro6128

pyro6128 New Member

Change Battery Color/Icon?

Is there a way to change the color of the battery, or the battery icon itself?
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2010
  2. natediddy1120

natediddy1120 New Member

No not without being rooted and getting into the framework.res file in your /system folder and changing all kinds of crap around......but there are some ROMs that do this already, I know the Smoked Glass ROM from AdamZ has a blue battery icon instead of green....but I think that's it actually....
  3. pyro6128

pyro6128 New Member

yea i'm rooted running bb 7.4, i guess it was smoked glass that I saw that had the blue one. I also saw someone with a different icon altogether. I was hoping it wouldn't be too much of a process but it seems like it might be, and I wouldn't want to mess anything up
  4. kevdog

kevdog New Member

Its easy to do -- you need to modify your framework-res.apk file. Ive done it a bunch of times -- yes the first time seems very complex but after that the actual process of pushing things to the phone takes like 2 min. It just depends
  5. pyro6128

pyro6128 New Member

how would I go about doing that?
  6. 52brandon

52brandon New Member

if you go into your framework-res.zip file, go into /res/drawable-hdpi and change all the files that start with stat_sys_battery. It's definitely easier to use his metamorph glass theme and call it a day though, but those are the fiiles that make up the battery in your status bar...
  7. pyro6128

pyro6128 New Member

eh, I wouldnt really know what I was doing. I don't know where those files are or how I would even go about changing them. I just thought it would be cool to have a blue, red, or even yellow battery with my current setup
  8. 52brandon

52brandon New Member

i wouldnt change them, but if you have a set up you like and just want to switch the battery, you could copy those files out of the framework they come with and paste them in yours and re-push your framework to your phone. It's easier than it sounds...
  9. pyro6128

pyro6128 New Member

is there some where i could go that would have steps on what to do, or something to that effect
  10. Mars

Mars New Member

bro ur gonna get everyone to tell u its soooo easy yet they WILL NOT provide the steps for you.. I also would like to know how to do this. For us noobs we need a rooting for dummies type instructions. All these jargons being thrown left and right does not help neither....therefore a lot of us just end up giving up.
  11. kevdog

kevdog New Member

The easiest way to do this is through metamorph. Yes you need root but it sounds like you are already rooted.

Install metamorph through the market.

I would then go for a starter and download xeoduses metamorph theme AS A STARTER!!!

Its located here:
    AllDroid - View topic - xHero-Theme (v1.6) **UPDATED 01/12/10**

Pull the framework.apk from your phone, rename the extension to .zip. Extract the file to a directory on your computer. Go to the drawable-hdpi folder and your icons will be there. Id do the same with xeoduses metamorph theme as well. What I would do is to compare the drawable-hdpi files, and any original icons you want to keep, I would drag and drop them to the metamorph folder. Change or insert any icons you want to change -- but for starters don't edit or leave out any .9.png files (these can be edited however its a little bit trickier). Once you get all your changes within the metamorph framework theme (Remember your changes in the metamorph theme are in the framework-res/res/drawable-hdpi folder), push the theme to your /sdcard/nandroid-themes. Open metamorph on your phone, choose the xeodus theme, and then choose only to apply the framework-res modifications. That should be about it.
  12. Mars

Mars New Member

thanks KevDog
  13. pyro6128

pyro6128 New Member

Is there a way without metamorph? I'm running Bugless Beast
  14. kevdog

kevdog New Member

Yes you can do it without metamorph but metamorph is the easiest

What you want to do without metamorph is pull the framework-res.apk file to your computer and open the file with winrar and navigate to the drawable-hdpi folder.

Couple of things you want to know
    framework-res.apk is signed -- so that means you can't expect to open it, extract all the files, add/extract what your want, zip it back up, and then push it back to the phone and expect it to work. It will not since you have broken the signature. Now its possible to use eclipse to generate another signature, however here is a different quicker way:

Once framework-res.apk is on your computer, make a copy of the file -- say framework-res.zip. (This means you have framework-res.apk and framework-res.zip). You can work and extract the zip file to see all the images.

Once you figure out what you want to change add -- say stat_sys_battery.png (although I know there is a lot of these types of files), simply navigate to the drawable-hdpi folder in winrar of the original framework-res.apk file. You can then drag and drop your new images into this folder (Please note that you are dragging from windows explorer to the open folder inside winrar). Drag and drop all the files you want to replace (please note that the files you are replacing must be called the exact names of the original files -- you can not make up new names). The amazing part about doing it in this method, is that this does not break the signature of the framework-res.apk file. Once you are done, push the framework-res.apk file back to /system/framework and reboot. Your changes should be available on boot.

A couple of things -- after changing framework -- you need to log back into your gmail account (or set up your account again). This is everytime you change the framework-res.apk file (yes its kind of annoying -- hence why I recommend metamorph). Also the first time you boot with the new modified framework-res.apk file, the boot time will be a lot longer, but subsequent boots will be normal.

Hopefully this was clear -- it might not be.

Another thing -- keep an unmodified copy of framework-res.apk somewhere in case something breaks or do a nandroid backup before starting (this backs up framework-res.apk as well). If anything breaks or doesn't work -- boot into recovery, and then you can push the original framework-res.apk file back to the phone and everything will be normal.
  15. Drukan

Drukan New Member

I have done this over and over changing all kinds of color schemes. Personally i would STRONGLY suggest just installing metamorph! Once you have it installed and working... changing ANYTHING is as easy as 3-4 clicks (on the phone), The challenging part is HOW u edit them. I personally use GIMP, its a simple program, and makes recoloring easy. Once you edit the files, Metamorph makes it a breeze to make the changes, without all the adb command line crap. Its GUI, click n go!

I keep a "working folder" with the base(stock) framework.res, and i edit the files, save as new, throw em on the sdcard, and install them with metamorph, about 3-4 times a week. ( i get bored with my colors chemes or icons easily)
    If you would like a copy of my current setup to try out.... hit me up!
  16. AdamZ

AdamZ Premium Member Premium Member

Blue Battery Icons...

Here are the Blue Battery Icons from my Smoked Glass ROM/Theme...

Download: BlueBatteryIcons.zip

This ZIP file is a Metamorph Theme... use Metamorph (download from Market) to install this theme...

This will modify ONLY the battery icons to blue... nothing else...

Also... if you want to go back to the Stock Battery Icons... here ya go...

Download: StockBatteryIcons.zip

Screenshot...

[​IMG]
  17. pyro6128

pyro6128 New Member

Oh, see I thought that metamorph was a theme (because of a thread title I remembered seeing a bunch of times). After seeing it in the market it looks like its just a tool. So do I just need to download metamorph then? It says I need busybox as well. Are there directions or instructions anywhere? I'm super paranoid about messing things up. Everything has gone so smoothly already, but I'm starting to get more and more addicted to customizing the phone and making it mine even further
  18. Drukan

Drukan New Member

I believe theres an APP that installs busy box for you, but it didnt work for me... might for you... Otherwise, there is a step-by-step tutorial on installing MetaMorph and Busy box in the forum...
    http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-hacks/11394-metamorph.html
  19. kevdog

kevdog New Member

Installing busybox is easy -- but you mean you are not running a custom ROM that already has it installed?? Interesting!! :)
  20. pyro6128

pyro6128 New Member

It doesnt say anything in there about installing busybox. And do I also need andexplorer if I already have astro? At first I was just going to give up, but now that I know metamorph is just an app and isnt going to interfere with bugless, I wanna see if i can change it
Search tags for this page
android battery color change
android change battery color
battery color change phone hacked
battery color changer for android
change android battery color

change battery color android

change battery icon color android

change color of battery icon android

how to change android battery color

how to change battery color on android

how to change battery color to white android