Challenger: 25 years ago today

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I mean time fly's it's so true. But can it actually be 25 years since this happened? I was at work at Hughes Aircraft in El Segundo California. A woman was running around saying "The Shuttle exploded. Everyone's dead."

We weren't allowed to have radio or tv's since we were a government defense corporation but our two biggest geeks had for some reason been able to obtain hand held ham radios and were filling us in.

Certainly one of those places in time where you remember exactly where you were and what was happening around you. Where were you? Were you even born yet?

bswett

Reaction score
I was born, I believe I was in 3-4 grade then. At R.J. O'Brien elementary school in E Hartford CT. Remember all too well. We were watching launch on TV at the time. Teacher hurried up and turned the TV off right after it happened. I know us kids were shocked but I think teacher was in worse shape than us children.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

OP
hookbill

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I was born, I believe I was in 3-4 grade then. At R.J. O'Brien elementary school in E Hartford CT. Remember all too well. We were watching launch on TV at the time. Teacher hurried up and turned the TV off right after it happened. I know us kids were shocked but I think teacher was in worse shape than us children.

Wow, that is interesting. I'm sure the teacher was shocked, I wonder if she should have shut the tv off though? Oh well, I suppose he/she thought they were doing the right thing at the time.

bswett

Reaction score
Gotta remember, was early 80's. Sensiblities were different then. A bunch of 7-8 yr Olds and a teacher that didn't know what parents wanted their children to know about death. Its not like today where you see death everywhere, on TV, just about any urban streetcorner. Drugs weren't prevalent in elementary schools and the like...

WERA689

Administrator
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
One+ One, Nexus 5
One of the other fora I frequent had many reports of teachers shutting off the TV's in the classrooms.

I was at one of the stores in the chain I worked for. Thankfully, we sold TV's, so I was able to watch it all. I was always very into the space program, and my dad had helped design the XRV Lifting Body--which was the basis of the Shuttle design. Most of my childhood friend's fathers worked at Goddard Space Flight Center in Maryland. I felt very personally connected to NASA and the space program, so I was just devastated when this happened.

Another friend lived in Cocoa Beach, and still has a couple of shards of the Challenger that washed up on the beach.

A very tragic day, indeed. :( RIP Challenger crew.

mountaineerndixie

Reaction score
Unreal that it was that long ago. I was in high school when it happened. Watched it on TV...sad sad day.

Skull One

Reaction score
I was in my last week of Basic Training at Lackland AFB. My wife was 4 hours away buying my wedding ring.

Lackland was put on lock down and all training was put on hold for the day. That was the first day, while severing my country, that a fellow Airman was killed. At dinner that night no one said a word. At the end of dinner, one of the TIs stood up and raised his glass. Roughly 200 young men without delay followed suite. We took our last drink and marched out of the dinning hall. The only sound was the heels of our boots in perfect unison. And we made damn sure it was loud enough that even God himself could not ignore it.

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
i was 3 years old.. i dont know where i was.

dropd1us

Reaction score
I was 9, seems like it wasn't that long ago.wow time flies, that day in school is one of the few I do still remember.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

forstir9

Reaction score
This event had the same effect on me along with 9/11, the Reagan shooting, Oklahoma city bombing, New Orleans... I know where I was and what I was doing with each one of these events.

25 years ago I was in 8th grade and the teacher kept it on throughout the whole period we were in there. The next class had the TV off but we kept talking about it.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums App

jleeusa

Reaction score
I was in sixth grade and remember the first couple of minutes like it was yesterday. The teacher next door came over and told our teacher. Both men openly cried, which showed us kids the real impact. Teachers around the country were so impacted because one of their own was on for the first time. Shocking.

Nods_Dad

Reaction score
I was in the Air Force at the time...we were deployed to track the launch...when we received the stand down order nobody moved for a while...normally it would have been hustle and tear down and head home....not this time

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

OP
hookbill

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Gotta remember, was early 80's. Sensiblities were different then. A bunch of 7-8 yr Olds and a teacher that didn't know what parents wanted their children to know about death. Its not like today where you see death everywhere, on TV, just about any urban streetcorner. Drugs weren't prevalent in elementary schools and the like...

You know in the 1960's there was this war in Vietnam going on, and I remember distinctly seeing it in my living room as a child/adolescent.

I wasn't saying the teacher did the wrong thing, just I found it interesting. But death on television has been around a long time now.