Chainfire Posts Warning About Modiffying System In Android 6.0

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

One of the main reasons we root is to have full access to the /system partition of our phone. This gives us full control over customizing our devices. Chainfire the man responsible for the root method in Android 6.0 Marshmallow posted a warning today regarding changing anything in the system partition.

He states that in 6.0 there isn't very much extra room at all in the system which makes doing simple things like editing a build.prop very dangerous. With this small amount of space touching the system at all could put your device in a bootloop or cause file corruption. This can be pretty confusing though since root apps like Titanium Backup actually show free space that isn't actually there. Head to the source link for more detailed information on this. Be careful modifying the system until a work around is released.

via XDA

kixfan

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 20u AT&T
Twitter
kixfan
Now that's an interesting method of preventing root. Limit the size of the boot partition to prevent edits. Very clever.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Now that's an interesting method of preventing root. Limit the size of the boot partition to prevent edits. Very clever.
It doesn't prevent root necessarily though.

supermandroid

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto X 2nd Gen
The line between Android and iOS is becoming increasingly blurry. I really don't like how such a tinker-friendly operating system is becoming so locked down.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
The line between Android and iOS is becoming increasingly blurry. I really don't like how such a tinker-friendly operating system is becoming so locked down.

I felt the same for awhile but I realize it is necessary. With more and more people buying android and using it for business Google is trying to protect their product. For those of us wanting to be able to modify anything will have to look toward ROMs built from source or build our own.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I felt the same for awhile but I realize it is necessary. With more and more people buying android and using it for business Google is trying to protect their product. For those of us wanting to be able to modify anything will have to look toward ROMs built from source or build our own.
Nailed it. Google is trying to do what BlackBerry was back in the late 90s. Secure devices for corporate and personal.

Narsil

Silver Member
Reaction score
Whatever happened to the corporate slogan of "Don't be evil."

1413467269378739627_zpszror2hs0.jpg

kixfan

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Twitter
kixfan
Nailed it. Google is trying to do what BlackBerry was back in the late 90s. Secure devices for corporate and personal.
I think that's why Samsung chose to lock down their devices with Knox. They want those corporate dollars.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Say what you want to say about Apple (not being open), year after year they sell phones. People buy what works. The people that care about being open are a minority. The people that care about being able to use their phone for business are a majority.

I love to root but the phone I use for business and wallet/pay I prefer to be encrypted.

Last edited:
Reactions: cr6

kixfan

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Twitter
kixfan
Say what you want to say about Apple (not being open), year after year they sale phones. People buy what works. The people that care about being open are a minority. The people that care about being able to use their phone for business are a majority.

I love to root but the phone I use for business and wallet/pay I prefer to be encrypted.

Same thing with Samsung. Very few stopped buying their devices just because of Knox. I think they lost more from the whole SD/battery removal thing. Rooting is sadly a dying out thing unless you are a dev. The average user just doesn't seem to care anymore. I like to try out different roms but it's not so important that I won't buy a phone that can't be rooted. I do miss having Titanium backup though.

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
Same here... The reality is that 4 years ago, you needed root and ROMs just to get most phones to run properly...

Today, not so much. I have a Nexus 6 and it isn't even unlocked or rooted... What's the point? it does everything you want out of the box, I can disable bloat in the app manager...

I no longer care about having a very specific shade of purple for my battery icon... I found that a lot of the tweaks and mods, just made the phone more cluttered and complicated. There is something to be said for just turning it on and it does the few things you need it to...

Now that Apple is offering large screens, and seeing that Google is locking stuff down anyway, and half the new phones don't have SD slots or removable batteries... what's the difference?

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Same here... The reality is that 4 years ago, you needed root and ROMs just to get most phones to run properly...

Today, not so much. I have a Nexus 6 and it isn't even unlocked or rooted... What's the point? it does everything you want out of the box, I can disable bloat in the app manager...

I no longer care about having a very specific shade of purple for my battery icon... I found that a lot of the tweaks and mods, just made the phone more cluttered and complicated. There is something to be said for just turning it on and it does the few things you need it to...

Now that Apple is offering large screens, and seeing that Google is locking stuff down anyway, and half the new phones don't have SD slots or removable batteries... what's the difference?

+1

I could argue that there are a few nice roms out there, ie Nexus Rom, but is it like back in the day where it was a must have, nope. In fact I am just find rocking stock over the roms. Out of all of my root apps the only one I miss is Tibu and even that is getting to a point where it may be phased out in a few years.

There will always be a small section that tinker and root and I will keep my nexus 5 as the phone to play with those tweaks. But at the end of the day I am cool with my Note 5 or stock Nexus 6 as a DD. I lean toward the Note 5 because of the size. Plus if you add Google Now Launcher, Messenger app, and use the Samsung theme engine and choose the material theme, it feels a lot like my nexus 6. But unlike my nexus 6 I get a few apps and tweaks that is great for the business side of my life.

popcenator

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
The only reason I root anymore is for gravity box to switch the navbar buttons around, and viper4android for audio. Other than that I'm very happy with what Google provides now.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

kixfan

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Twitter
kixfan
The only reason I root anymore is for gravity box to switch the navbar buttons around, and viper4android for audio. Other than that I'm very happy with what Google provides now.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Well it would be nice to eliminate some of the AT&T bloat but I can live with it if I have to.

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk