Certified "Like-New" Replacment phone????

gardobus

Silver Member
Reaction score
tell me one manufacturer warranty that they give you a BRAND NEW product if yours had a defect....DONE!

......the majority of them........
My parents had a Vizio tv that took a crap after a few months of owning it. They sent a guy to repair it when it stopped showing a picture. Then it screwed up again so they sent a refurb.

The only companys that give you a free replacement are when the product is cheap enough that they can afford to do it. Droids are expensive, so are TVs.
Well to be honest it looks perfect. No scratches, screen is flawless. Only thing I do see is the keyboard seems VERY flat, my older droid the keys are somewhat plumped up, but on the replacment they are absolutely flat. I think it may be just due to the use its gotten surely they dont have a different keyboard.
Most people now believe that the keyboard comes flat when it is new and after use becomes more bubbly. So they probably put a brand new keyboard on that one before giving it to you, so the keys should be fartless. That or the PO didn't use the keyboard.

OP
K

kennykid

Reaction score

mikes

Reaction score
Ummm. BULL****? I had a NEW phone
BS is right. It was a new phone when it was on the shelf in the store, but as soon as it was activated and calls were placed, it became a used phone.

OP
K

kennykid

Reaction score
What am I really gonna do about it anyway. Nothing. Just cry and moan that they've got me by the balls and the only other option I have is to go get inferior service with AT&T and get a "super cool" iphone like all the other douches.

Beardface

Reaction score
I had a similar situation that actually directly led to me getting the Droid.

Used to have a LG Voyager that worked sufficiently for me for the better part of a year, but then the touch screen just went horribly awry and the display messed up, so I went and returned it. Got a replacement phone, and within minutes of using it, I noticed that the issues with the replacement were worse than the one that I turned in, so I returned that one. The replacement I got of that one was just as bad, so I returned it. When the replacement of that phone started acting up, I said screw it and went and got the Droid.

What I don't get is why would you send me a device you already know is defective when I return one that is defective itself?

tktouch12

Reaction score
i agree that we should get new phones. I know they look new, but I take pretty good care of my phone and i dont want other peoples' problems. Now, i do agree the replacement i got was in perfect condition, so i dont really care, but its kinda weird, and i would just feel better with a brand new phone. I'm not going to lose sleep over it though.

denlem

Reaction score
I think refurb phones should at least get a new outer shell. The guts can be repaired but the outside will always show signs of wear. The plastic case can't be that expensive to replace. Keep the customer happy and make them "look" like new.

mdj

Reaction score
Well

Here is what I personal think. If your phone is broke and you call them and they are willing to send you a almost new phone for free with free two day shipping on it and let you keep the battery and charges to your broken one to also use with the like new one they send. Why would u want to complain about it. At least you have a phone that works now and you didnt have to pay for it. That is just what I think.

lizards88

Reaction score
I hear people complain that why can't I get a new phone. I your computer breaks dell does not give you a new one. At least it does not cot anymore money and still comes with warranty

jimnutt

Reaction score
Usually the refurbs are better tested than brand new phones. They test refurbs individually, new forms are tested by batch. Of course, with something like a smart phone the testing procedures often don't pick up problems that can only be found with daily use. They basically apply "dumb phone" testing methods (check the signal, can it make and receive calls, etc.) but don't check much else. So it is possible to get a refurb with problems. If you do, complain and demand another. Usually, the replacement replacement will be ok, if not keep complaining and after the 4th replacement you'll usually get a brand new phone (not always).

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Considering the number of people on this board who say they're on their third, fourth, or fifth phone and are still having problems, it stands to reason that a huge proportion of returns result from user errors, corrupted software, etc, not hardware problems. With that in mind, VZW (and insurance carriers) would be crazy NOT to supply "refurbished" phones as replacements.

It would be possible, of course, to provide an insurance plan that guarantees a "brand new" replacement. I doubt, however, that many users would be willing to pay the premiums for the insurance.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
It would be possible, of course, to provide an insurance plan that guarantees a "brand new" replacement. I doubt, however, that many users would be willing to pay the premiums for the insurance.

I doubt many would as it seems a lot are too cheap to have standard Insurance in the first place.....

Mule65

Reaction score
Didn't you read the Return Policy?

"If you're having a problem with your wireless device, just contact Verizon Wireless toll?free at 1.866.406.5154 from a landline phone. We'll diagnose the issue with you right over the phone. If we cannot resolve the problem while you're on the line and the problem is caused by a manufacturing defect within the first year you own the wireless device, we'll send you a Certified Like?New Replacement (either a like unit or one of comparable quality) right to your door. Certified Like?New Replacements will carry the remaining warranty period from the original wireless device, or 90 days, whichever is greater."

MiXoLoGiSt

Reaction score
Considering the number of people on this board who say they're on their third, fourth, or fifth phone and are still having problems, it stands to reason that a huge proportion of returns result from user errors, corrupted software, etc, not hardware problems. With that in mind, VZW (and insurance carriers) would be crazy NOT to supply "refurbished" phones as replacements.

I would pay $20/month and a $100 deductible for insurance if it was a guaranteed brand new phone as a replacement.

ohioDroid

Reaction score
I have a refurb, my Droid had some weird screen issue and I think not detecting the screen caused weird boot issues as well. It happened 3 months into use, so they gave me a refurb.

There are only two differences I've noticed.

1. My first (new) Droid, when you closed the screen, it actually clicked into place. This refurb doesn't have that click, so the screen easily slides open. I prefer the click.
  2. My first Droid had a different keyboard. The buttons weren't flat. They actually were a bit rounded and felt easier to use. The new one had a flat keyboard, and checking later with friends, all of their Droids have the same keyboard I have. I haven't found anyone who had the keyboard I had before.
All that said, the refurb has lasted longer than the first one I had, and I've put it through it's paces more, overclocking, etc. I still have a bit of a negative feeling that it wasn't a brand new phone in my hands, but meh.