Cellphone unlocking still illegal in the U.S.

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
unlocked-phone.jpg
At the very beginning of this year, cellphone unlocking essentially became illegal in the United States. Since then, we’ve seen petitions, a formal White House response and tons of chatter about how the situation will be changed. Unfortunately, all current plans have so far been all talk and no action.

Yesterday Acting FCC Chairwoman Mignon Clyburn said that despite the topic somewhat going cold, the FCC is still working hard to find a way to make it possible for consumers to unlock their phones. “I‘ve directed the FCC staff to redouble our efforts with partners across the administration and industry to explore all of our available options for a quick resolution,” said Clyburn.

continue reading here: Phone unlocking still illegal in the US, FCC still working on solution

KaChow

Reaction score
I hope they legalize it, again. Peace of mind is a wonderful "thing." :biggrin:

droideddie13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 6
I read its only legal to unlock your phone if its out of contract. But its illegal if your phone still has a two year contract. If I am wrong correct me.

KaChow

Reaction score
I read its only legal to unlock your phone if its out of contract. But its illegal if your phone still has a two year contract. If I am wrong correct me.

Do you have a reference to the source of this info?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

droideddie13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 6

KaChow

Reaction score

Well I couldn't find the original source I read because I forgot the link. But I found this: What you need to know about cell phone unlocking | Android Central Apparently its only legal to unlock your phone with permission from the carrier your phone is locked to.

It seems like there is some confusion here with your question. According to the article that you presented it would be fair to state that it would be legal to unlock your phone granted that you meet the requirements that the carrier sets. The part about the two year contract is confusing, let's call it what it is and say that your phone is subsidized, that is you paid a discounted amount for the phone agreeing to some contracted term agreement with carrier either based on minutes/data/usage of course $$$ in which you did not purchase the phone out right. Which then under a subsidized contracted agreement it would be illegal to unlock the device.

If you take your MotoX (for example) that works on AT&T that is subsidized that is you paid $99 for the device that retails for $349, and a 1 year contract that you satisfied and have decided to move your service to T-Mobile. T-Mobile will Unlock your device as soon you pay off the $250 subsidized price remaining on the AT&T phone which AT&T will Unlock it and you can switch your phone over. This is the clean way of getting this done. :biggrin: