Cell Standby

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid Bionic' started by SSHGuru, Oct 19, 2011.

1. SSHGuru

SSHGuru New Member

Has anyone else noticed that if you're on wifi sometimes you see white lines on the 3g/4g area (which means to me they are not active) and sometimes you see blue (meaning it's sucking battery even with wifi)?

I find that when I'm on wifi which is 90% of the time I get way more battery when they are white.

How can I get them white? I have not found a way. Seems random.
  2. scdown

scdown New Member

I sometimes see this when I am on Wifi but have a low signal, and when it happens, either network is practically unusable. When it happens, I can sometimes fix with the airplane mode toggle.
  3. SSHGuru

SSHGuru New Member

I don't want both wifi and 4g on. I would prefer 4g be whited out - that saves cell standby battery which is the biggest drain they have.
  4. jhom

jhom Member

I posted on this issue a week or so ago. No one seem to have an answer. So, I called Verizon and spoke with tech support. The tech was using a Bionic as his phone. The answer I got from him was that when wifi is on, 4g is off no matter what color the indicator shows. As to whether there is more battery use when it is white or blue, he did not know. But, he reiterated that 4g is off when wifi is on. I told him that having the 4g indicator on while wifi is on, regardless of the color, is somewhat misleading. His answer was that the indicator is to show that there is 4g available.
  5. scdown

scdown New Member

I hear that - it just seems that sometimes when the Wifi signal goes low, I have both connections - I agree that it shouldn't have 4G on when Wifi is active.

Now, on the other hand (i have five fingers), I always thought that if the 4G logo was visible, the radio was on, even if it was using the Wifi connection. I read somewhere that the blue coloring on the signal strength indicated that this was the connection on which a connection to Google servers had been made?
  6. SSHGuru

SSHGuru New Member

It makes no sense that it would be blue. When it's white then I could say yeah it's saying available but it's off.
  7. jhom

jhom Member

I agree. It would make more sense to be white when wifi is on. From my experience, 90% or more of the time it is white. However, on occasions I see it blue. At this point, I stopped worrying about the color just as long as either one is working correctly. Like you I am 90%+ on wifi and my battery use is phenomenal (I'm a light - moderate user). I usually have it on battery for over 15 - 18 hours of daily use before docking it for its nightly charge. More often than not, I have 50% + charge left. :)
Search tags for this page

how to stop cell standby