Cell phones with the highest radiation levels

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
I thought everyone here should have this info available to them. CNN has been reporting on cellphone radiation again. So I started to do some research. Please see the link of the cell phones with the highest radiation levels. Note that Motorola phones emit some of the highest radiation, and Samsung emit some of the lowest.
20 highest-radiation cell phones (United States) - CNET Reviews

Here is a CNN article
Cell phones and cancer: Should you be worried? – The Chart - CNN.com Blogs

Tips to minimize radiation
http://thechart.blogs.cnn.com/2011/05/31/6-tips-for-minimizing-cell-phone-radiation/

Natey2

Reaction score
I thought everyone here should have this info available to them. CNN has been reporting on cellphone radiation again. So I started to do some research. Please see the link of the cell phones with the highest radiation levels. Note that Motorola phones emit some of the highest radiation.

Here is a CNN article

http://thechart.blogs.cnn.com/2011/05/31/6-tips-for-minimizing-cell-phone-radiation/

What about phones with 3G Hotspot turned on? More radiation there? Less radiation while Airline mode on?

Sent from my unrooted DroidX using DroidForums app

OP
Stelv

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
I thought everyone here should have this info available to them. CNN has been reporting on cellphone radiation again. So I started to do some research. Please see the link of the cell phones with the highest radiation levels. Note that Motorola phones emit some of the highest radiation.

Here is a CNN article

6 tips for minimizing cell phone radiation – The Chart - CNN.com Blogs

What about phones with 3G Hotspot turned on? More radiation there? Less radiation while Airline mode on?

I am not sure how that works actually. I wonder if it is just voice data that emits radiation or if 3g and 4g data do too?

c_m_chance

Reaction score
I'm finding these numbers EXTREMELY hard to believe. Looking at the Droid X, they claim 1.43 W/kg. That's equivalent to 143 rem/second.

I'm a senior nuclear engineering major and the national limit is 5 rem per YEAR! At an exposure of 100-200 rem, you will definitely experience some radiation sickness and possibly permanent disability. At a 1000 rem exposure we're talking pretty much 100% fatal.

Now I don't know about y'all, but I have never heard of anyone dying due to radiation exposure on their cell phone. And, if this was the radiation exposure due to cell phones, they would be monitored by the NRC and we would more than likely not be allowed to own them.

With that said, I think they aren't using the best choice of words for this data. Instead of "Radiation" as they title that column, they should clarify that it's "electromagnetic radiation."

Just saying! lol

OP
Stelv

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well over time the radiation adds up right? One may eventual reach a thresh hold where cell mutation may occur. BTW Moto has some of the highest radiating phones.

*removed link. Threads were merged.

jev

Reaction score
Don't you know that EVERYTHING gives you cancer now. Wait a year until the next study comes out saying the exact opposite. I, for one, am not worried about it.

yahwarrior

Reaction score
Turn on your gps and make a phone call at the same time. Make sure the receiver is to your head.

OP
Stelv

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well I am going to take caution. I know the radiation levels are low, but one can never be too cautious. Many things in society today do emit radiation, and we are exposed to them everyday. Why not cut that exposure down and use speaker phone or a bluetooth. I am sorry if people thought this was bogus... I was just trying to make people aware. Anyways the info is their if one choses to use it.

c_m_chance

Reaction score
No. It's not that these levels are low, these levels are extremely high if they are really trying to portray that its cell mutating radiation (particle radiation). At 1.43 W/kg (equivalent to 143 rem/second), that's saying that within 10 seconds of being on the cell phone you will have received over 1000 rem (143 rem/sec x 10 seconds = 1430 rem). I spend a few hours on my phone a day and am still living strong.

Here's the misconception:

The radiation they are talking about isn't "cell mutating" radiation or anything. That requires particle radiation. Nuclear decay, if you will. What they are talking about with these numbers is wave radiation, not particle. The difference is that wave radiation isn't as dangerous. And some would even argue that it isn't dangerous at all.

Theres no need to worry about the wave radiation given off by cell phones. It doesn't add up over time like particle radiation does. It would take an immense amount all at once to do biological damage.

OP
Stelv

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info man. That makes sense. I am still going to take caution just incase. But I feel better about the whole situation now.

Sent from my fascinate

Natey2

Reaction score
What they are talking about with these numbers is wave radiation, not particle. The difference is that wave radiation isn't as dangerous. And some would even argue that it isn't dangerous at all.

The nose cone of fighter aircraft have radars that can seriously harm ground crew if switched on while the plane is on the ground.
Wave radiation?

michelcornor

Reaction score
Cell phones emit radio frequency energy, a form of non-ionizing electromagnetic radiation, which can be absorbed by tissues closest to where the phone is held. To eradicate these radiation problems, Few companies introduced many chip, While using these chips, We have a chance to reduce the problem and protect our family from cell phone radiation.