Cell Coverage map not accurate

rollingrock

Reaction score
So my buddy has a ranch in a town called Zephyr Texas.

According to Verizon, it is covered in RED which means Digital Coverage.

However, my phone DOES NOT WORK in this area.

is there a trick to make it work or is the map total BS Marketing.

As it stands in reality, my phone stops working 45 min BEFORE I even get to the town where Verizon says they have 3G service.

What am I missing here? My buddy who has AT&T, his works just fine with no issues.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/CoverageLocatorController

Rant over but I do need some help.

RR

VideoGameMatt

Reaction score
They say at the bottom of the map in very fine print that coverage is not guaranteed in these areas. I must ask, when was the last time you updated your prl? It is possible that they just put up some new towers and they updated the map to it.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
A couple of things to try. When's the last time you updated your PRL? Do *228 and press option 2. That should be done every 30 to 60 days. No, contrary to popular belief does it make your reception better, it adds any new towers since the last time you updated and maybe there's a new tower since the last time.

If you really have no coverage, you can call *611 and ask for the CS rep to look at the map of towers in that area and they can pinpoint from your house to the nearest tower. If the land where you're at is flat, don't be surprised if the nearest tower is 5 or so miles away.

That's the only way you're going to find out. Asking others who have no idea where Zephyr, TX is won't do you any good.

OP
R

rollingrock

Reaction score
They say at the bottom of the map in very fine print that coverage is not guaranteed in these areas. I must ask, when was the last time you updated your prl? It is possible that they just put up some new towers and they updated the map to it.

I have a D2 that is less than 3 months old...what is a PRL and how do you update it?

I visit this Ranch 2 times pre month from DFW...on 20 West no problem at all...once I get 20 miles south off the highway, I pull over and make my last calls for the weekend, then I am naked the whole time and its extremely frustrating.

Thanks

VideoGameMatt

Reaction score

I have a D2 that is less than 3 months old...what is a PRL and how do you update it?

I visit this Ranch 2 times pre month from DFW...on 20 West no problem at all...once I get 20 miles south off the highway, I pull over and make my last calls for the weekend, then I am naked the whole time and its extremely frustrating.

Thanks

like vulcan said do *228 and then select option 2 and then it will take a few minutes to do the full update

OP
R

rollingrock

Reaction score

Thanks

like vulcan said do *228 and then select option 2 and then it will take a few minutes to do the full update

got that thanks guys, I thought link I posted would show Zephyr TX....if you put that in you will see clearly it shows coverage.

I just did the update, won't know until this weekend if it works....but unlike my blackberry I don't know how to switch the mode on the cellular to find roaming areas and make it work. The one thing I miss from my BB...

while I had no data coverage with my BB on Verizon i could use the phone.

dfuser312553

Silver Member
Reaction score
@OP Yeah the coverage map is worth about as much as a lifetime supply of dead kittens. My area is surrounded for hundreds of miles with coverage but in my neighborhood I drop 20x calls a week.

Like everyone's recommended update your PRL via *228. Especially when you go out of town.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Updating your PRL with *228 selection option 2 will only work when you're in native VZW coverage. If you're roaming on the extended network, it won't work.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
is there a trick to make it work or is the map total BS Marketing.
It's not BS so much as the coverage map can't take everything affecting coverage into consideration. As always: don't rely on coverage maps. Despite what the commercials imply, no carrier sends out people to test every single point in the country for coverage to create the coverage maps.

OP
R

rollingrock

Reaction score
I talked with Verizon they insist that the area has coverage and they logged a ticket for it...they are going have a field rep do a "can you hear me now" test at the exact location of the Ranch entrance.

And get this, they want me to call them when I get there on Friday night. Um....how do you want me to do that?

LOL