Celebrating 10 years of Android.

Discussion in 'Android News' started by pc747, Sep 28, 2018.

1. pc747

pc747 Administrator
    Staff Member Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +7,013
    You are correct. I knew I forgot something. But yeah that was revolutionary. Sadly that trend did not continue. I liked the idea of a phone that I could confidently rock "raw dog". And I was hoping the market would have continued that trend. Instead, we get phones that are 1000+, that are glass. And it cost more than half the amount to fix them.

• Like Like x 1
  2. pc747

pc747 Administrator

Ratings:
    +7,013
    [​IMG]

What were the terms and vernacular that threw off your fam & friends when you first started talking to them about android?

I remember trying to explain rooting and bricking of a phone to people. I loved the response I would get like, "so you bury your phone?"

3. pc747

pc747 Administrator

Ratings:
    +7,013
    2016: More companies threw their hats in the ring. And one big company continued to drift. Oh we also had a "situation" with a phones that changed things.

Let's get started:

I actually want to start with the Droid Force/Moto Z Force: Motorola wanted to change things up using Moto Mods. Basically it was taking Project Ara and making it work for a smartphone. The concept was actually a great idea, and I am sad that it has not caught on with more manufacturers. The ability to add more battery life, a better camera, game controller, screen projector, or a speaker by clipping it on the back. Personally, I think the reason this has not caught on is because manufacturers are not interested in making a phone that will truly go beyond 2 years. Outside of Apple and Google, majority of the manufacturers stop updating their phones 6 months after you purchase them. "Your phone feels laggy and slow, great, hopefully that send you back to us so we can sell you another phone that will be laggy and slow after 12-18 months".

LG G5: Speaking of project ara, one company did it the wrong way. And that would be LG. No one really cared for the LG G5 or their friends. This phone really set them back. Thankfully another company's whoas pushed the friends to the back burner. And for LG, it couldn;t have happened at a better time.

One Plus 5/5T: One Plus started an annoying trend that continues until today. They would release one phone. Then 6 months later another phone with slightly better specs, and addressed the complaints with the phones released in the Spring. This process hurt the value of their phones, and frustrates their loyal customer base.

Huawei Mate 9/ZTE Axon 7: Two phones that really made an impression on the community. Huawei and ZTE are mainly known for their budget phones. But this year they showed that they can make a good flagship phone as well.

HTC 10: While Huawei and ZTE were movie up the food chain, HTC was continuing to move down. This phone, however, received praises from several publications.

LG V20: Where LG choked with the G5, they made up for it with the V20. LG wanted to make a phone that could appeal to music lovers. Their HiFi Quad DAC provide one of the best (if not the best) sound quality you could find in a phone. Add in a removable battery, top of the line specs, and you have a phone that could compete with the big boys.

Google Pixel (XL): Down with the Nexus line and rise of the Pixels. Google was ready to make a smartphone that could compete with the top tiered flagships. And they were going to do it with the best camera on the market and Google's software. It did however lacked water resistance and had a huge chin. And this caught criticism because phones were shrinking the bezels and adding in water resistance as a standard feature (i.e Samsung and Apple).

Galaxy S7/S7 Edge/S7 Edge Plus: Samsung just continued their dominance of the market with their top of the line hardware. They had surpassed every other android manufacturer and Apple to become the top smartphones on the market. They were the reason people looked at the Google Pixel sideways. Samsung continued to improve their hardware by giving people more screen and options. Oh, and they brought back the SD Card slot, which was a crowd pleaser. Samsung was riding high, and they were looking to continue.

Note 7: Samsung wanted to align their note numbering system with the Galaxy s line, as the note was a year behind. So in 2016 they skipped a number and released the Note 7. Overall, the Note 7 was the best smartphone that year. Sporting one of the best cameras, great hardware, a larger battery, sd card, and best display. People truly loved this phone, so much that when it had to be recalled they did not want to give it up. I do not need to go back over the history of what happened with the Note 7. This forum had thread after thread talking about the issue. It was literally ran to the ground. This phone changed aviation. Now planes are equipped with gloves and a fire bag to contain a phone that happens to catch fire.

So what your favorite phone of 2016?

And if there are any phones I missed, please post them.

4. Sajo

Sajo Diamond Member

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +11,085
    Current Phone Model:
    Moto Z2 Force
    Moto Z/ Z Play and Z Force baby! And Moto Mods.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
  5. LoudRam

LoudRam Silver Member

Ratings:
    +308
    Current Phone Model:
    LG G7
    Twitter:
    @Loudram
    The Droid Moto Z is still one of my favorites phones. I miss it.

• Like Like x 1
  6. pc747

pc747 Administrator

Ratings:
    +7,013

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

7. pc747

pc747 Administrator

Ratings:
    +7,013
    2017:

2017 was an interesting year. At the beginning of the year we were excited about a new edition, only to have that fade thanks to a tweet. But we do owe something to that phone. So let's recap 2017.

Essential PH-1: Andy Rubin had returned with a phone that could challenge the industry. A phone that would be pretty much stock android. And would get updates near the time of Google phones. They also had an awesome looking design. The body was titanium and ceramic. And the display had a notch, done right, and a radical idea connecting peripherals with the magnetic pins on the back. But a tweet went out showing off that camera and that pretty much done them in. I would have really liked to see Essential take another crack at it. I want to see an Essential 2

Motorola Z2 Force: Continue the phone with the mods, Motorola release the Z2 Force. A phone that feels like a tank. Motorola also released a few more clip on mods for the phone.

LG G6: Rumors were surfacing that LG would be making the Pixel 2 XL. So eyes were on the LG G6 to see what the Pixel 2XL might look like. After falling on their faces with the G5, they needed a phone to redeem themselves. Packed with their own POLED panel, they brought the waterproofing this time.

HTC U11: We bash HTC because they haven't had a hit in years. But we have to give it to them for some of the ideas they brought to the table. One such idea is the squeeze function, which made its way to Pixel phones. HTC could not get much love for the U11. And they are still struggling to come up with a hit.

One Plus 5/5T: OP is really making a name for themselves. They are doing enough to stick around in the conversation for flagships. In fact, one could argue that they jumped past HTC. Just wait until Fall to purchase their phones if you want the best variant. Oh, can't forget to mention their fast charging, and the price.

Samsung Galaxy S8/S8+: No more edge, just a phone that is edge to edge. Samsung wanted so badly to get the Note 7 fiasco cleansed from their palate. Samsung continues to be one of the trend setters when it come to hardware. Just a beautiful phone overall. Cleaning up the bezels allowed them to put a 5.8 inch screen in a small phone, well small compared to the Note.

Note 8: After the Note 7 fiasco, there were rumors that Samsung may drop their Note line of phones. Well Samsung brought it back, with a little precaution. For one, they dropped the battery capacity. They also honored the agreement to hook up those who had the Note 7. And despite this phone being on the high side, people bought it. If ever there was a comeback story for a phone, it would have had to be for the Note 8. To go from recall to phone of the year for 2017 was big.

Pixel 2/2XL: Google's second Pixel XL was met with some controversy. The display on the 2XL had early complaints of ghosting, being grainy, looking washed out, and having a blue tint. Google ended up extending the warranty another year and trying to explain the blue tint. But if you can get past the display, the phone had the best camera of 2017. For once Google had the camera to beat. Words never said about a nexus phone. The Pixel 2 had a better display but the overall design had even more bezel (it seemed), compared to the Pixel.

Razer phone: The famous computer manufacturer was ready to shake things up in the smartphone arena. They had purchased Nextbit Robin and turned their phone into a beast of a phone for gamers. That 120 Hz display refresh rate was the talk for months. They did a lot right with the phone, but like the Essential Ph-1, they forgot to add a camera.

What phone did you end up choosing last year?

And what phone did I miss that deserved to be mentioned?

8. bruben7886

bruben7886 Diamond Member

Ratings:
    +1,416
    Chose my z2 force. Man! Love this thing! Awesome camera, looooong battery life, smooth, mods..... What's not to love?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 3
  9. pc747

pc747 Administrator

Ratings:
    +7,013
    Last day before the big day.

We know majority of the phones that had been released this year. And we still have phones left to be released. So far what are the phones that stuck out the most (either good or bad)?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

#45 pc747, Oct 8, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
  10. xeene

xeene Gold Member

Ratings:
    +1,156
    moto z play in 2016 was the best moto z phone. longest battery life out of any smartphone till this years moto e5 plus.
    moto z play could get 11 hours of screen on time, moto e5 plus gets 23 hours of screen on time on single charge.
    i still use moto z play till this day, but it's battery life isn't quite what it used to be.

• Like Like x 2
  11. zinethar

zinethar Senior Member

Ratings:
    +183
    Current Phone Model:
    Note 8
    That was an interesting but of time travel. My absolute favorite phone (before my current Note 8) was the Note 4. Fantastic phone (I still have it). I never used a case because I loved the feel of the phone. The iPhone lovers criticized its non-glass back but that was precisely why I loved it. It felt like leather and looked like leather but took flack because it didn't feel like an iPhone. I felt then as I do now - if I wanted an iPhone I would buy one. I don't.

• Like Like x 2
Search tags for this page
azs

best cameras

news