Celebrating 10 years of Android.

Discussion in 'Android News' started by pc747, Sep 28, 2018.

1. LoudRam

LoudRam Silver Member

Ratings:
    +308
    Current Phone Model:
    LG G7
    Twitter:
    @Loudram
    The DNA was my wife's first Android. Her friends talked her into getting a Blackberry then they both switched, one to an iPhone the other to the Rezound. My wife saw all the fun I was having with my Droids and she got a little jealous so I got her the DNA. She doesn't know squat about phone's so I pick them out for her. It was a good phone but I still liked my Rezound better.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Sajo

Sajo Diamond Member

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +11,085
    Current Phone Model:
    Moto Z2 Force
    There were a lot of great phones in that 2012 list. The Note 2 was definitely solid, I had one as a company provided work phone for years and it ran good (all except the Bluetooth issues that plagued Samsung phones of that era). For me, the Droid Razr M stands out the most. That little guy was awesome. I liked it so much we ended up with all four of us owning one at the same time, in different colors. It had a great form factor, nice small size, yet long lasting battery. The contoured Kevlar backing was pretty cool also. And Moto was still making nice accessories back then; the car dock and bedside dock / flip stand for the 2012 Droid phones were awesome & very practical.

• Like Like x 3
  3. lloydstrans

lloydstrans Diamond Member

Ratings:
    +4,840
    I had to have the Razor Maxx to replace the Razor. Then upgraded to the Razor Maxx HD, pure sexiness. Surprised Apple didn't sue Moto for copying the iPhone. Same aluminum case and very similar buttons.

• Like Like x 4
  4. tedZilla99

tedZilla99 Member

Ratings:
    +20
    I started with the OG Droid, and after I had the Bionic, X, and Razr. I think the Razr was my favorite at the time, hard to recall! I found the Bionic the other day, still boots up with that awesome startup screen.

• Like Like x 2
  5. lloydstrans

lloydstrans Diamond Member

Ratings:
    +4,840
    You do realize I'm going to have to boot up my old Droid when I get to work. DROID.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Wadman

Wadman Senior Member

Ratings:
    +119
    Started with the OG droid
    Then the droid x
    og galaxy nexus (verizon)
    galaxy note 2 and 3
    droid turbo 2
    currently using a moto z2 play
    Really looking hard at galaxy note 9 but its really hard to give up the moto mods

• Like Like x 3
  7. pc747

pc747 Administrator
    Staff Member Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +7,013

We had some interesting phones in 2013. Let's start with one of the all time favored nexus phones, the nexus 5. I remember when it first came out, there were compliant about the speaker motor and other QA issues. But after awhile those issues phased out as we got to the latter batches. The phone came in black, white, and red-orange. I still have my nexus 5. That truly was an awesome phone. LG made this phone for Google. They were chosen after the job they did with the nexus 4. Unlike the nexus 4, this phone had LTE (but no CDMA radios).

Then we have to talk about the moto X. Motorola had been bought by Google and they were looking to cut all the excess flagship phone releases. And one of the phones to do that was the Moto X. Now the moto x was unique in that it tried to offer a way to truly customize the phone. Phones that were made in America, caught flack for being dual core in a quad core generation. It wasn't until the price dropped for the moto x (on black friday) that the phone had a surge in purchases. The style of the moto X became so popular that it would influence the style of future android phones (including the Nexus 6). This phone also introduced to the world breathing notifications, and "Hello Moto", which would give birth to Google Now.

Samsung Galaxy Note 3: By this time everyone knew what the note was. It was a very popular device and more manufacturers, including Apple, wanted to create their own large phone. The Note 3 tried to step it up as far as being (somewhat) premium. The metal band and leather back (feel). This phone caught flack for its cheap feeling back.

Galaxy S 4: Samsung started increasing the size of their Galaxy S phone display. And we saw that with the S4. Coming off of the popularity of the S3, the S4 had a lot of momentum. And we started to see the divide form to where it was beginning to be Galaxy and Apple, then everyone else.

HTC One: Those of us who like our Pixel phones because of the front facing speakers should be thanking this phone. Dual front facing speakers, metal build, and with beats audio, this was a solid phone put out by HTC. This was the phone that caused people to look at Samsung funny, especially after putting out the Note 3. Samsung ended up having to change their design language to feel more premium.

Sony Xperia Z Ultra: Remember when people felt Sony could be the next big thing in phones? This was due to what Sony did with this phone. People liked the design and feel of the device. It had a solid display, was dust and waterproof (IP58), and was powered by Sony's Bravia.

Android Silver: Google released the Google Play edition S4 and HTC One. At this time there were talks about Google dropping the nexus line and starting an Android Silver program. This program would enlist manufacturers to make their popular phone a Google Play Edition device. Allowing customers to buy a clean version of the hardware with up to date software from Google. Basically GPE devices would get updated right around the time nexus phones would get updated. Unfortunately this didn't pan out. Like the Nexus One, this idea was just done too soon. As people hadn't warmed up to the idea of paying full price for a phone. We were still hooked to buying a phone on contract at a subsidized price. GPE phones would not be continued.

Samsung Mega: If the Note phones were not big enough you could get a Samsung mega. A phone that was just too big but scaled back slightly on the specs, compared to the Note 3. This was the phone for grandma.

LG G2: LG was gearing up to take on Samsung and Apple. And they believed they could do so with their own flagship line, the G series phones. This phone was unique in that the buttons were on the back (vs the sides).

Droid Ultra & Droid Maxx: Just because Motorola wanted to do one flagship, didn't mean they were off the hook for Verizon's droid phones. So they put out the Droid Ultra and Droid Maxx. Take your Moto X, add with it the same software features (touchless controls, active notifications, and quick camera actions (gestures), make it a Droid phone, and add a kevlar back. The Droid Maxx had almost twice the battery capacity as the ultra. There were some complaints about all the bloat and the display quality (from some).

What was your favorite 2013 phone?

• Like Like x 2
  8. Sajo

Sajo Diamond Member

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +11,085
    Current Phone Model:
    Moto Z2 Force
    To me there is no more revolutionary phone than the Moto X (and associated Droid Ultra / Droid Maxx). A phone made in the USA, with all those Moto Maker options, pretty much stock Android, with the Moto App and all those cool Moto features that have become part of stock Android since 2013. Every new Moto App feature of the Moto X (and Droid Ultra / Maxx) have become part of stock Android, except Driving Mode. This is the phone that brought us Google Now, hands free from the lock screen, Do Not Disturb, Trusted Devices & other Trusted unlock options, Active Display, and several others. The Moto X and all the new functionality it introduced was just plain awesome.

As far as the Droid line goes the Droid Maxx from that year was my favorite Droid branded phone so far. That thing was a sweet beast, with all the same cool features as the Moto X.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 3
  9. LoudRam

LoudRam Silver Member

Ratings:
    +308
    Current Phone Model:
    LG G7
    Twitter:
    @Loudram
    I went back and forth trying to decide between the Moto X and the HTC One. I looked at all the reviews and visited the VZW store a few times. At that point I had only owned HTC's. I got the Moto X but it was a tough decision however I never regretted it. That was an awesome phone for all the reasons Sajo pointed out. I became a Motorola fan at that point and I still am.

• Like Like x 2
  10. pc747

pc747 Administrator

Ratings:
    +7,013
    Additions to 2013: I forgot about the LG Flex. I somehow thought it was a 2014 phone, but it was actually 2013. This phone had enough of a fan base to warrant a flex 2.

2014:

By 2014 smartphones were finally getting LTE phones down. We started seeing more phones with larger displays, better cameras, and better batteries. And we also learned about never settling.

The Moto X got another run at it. Despite the lack of quad core, the phone was a fan favorite. And it made us look at more than just specs on paper. The Moto X 2 stepped it up a little with wood and leather back designs, camera ring, and fast charging.

Speaking of fast charging, we have a Verizon fan favorite here with the Droid Turbo. A phone by Motorola with a QHD Display, 3GBs of Ram, 20 MP camera, and a 3900 mAh battery. Finally a Droid that could truly compete with the other phones on the market, something that hasn't happened (arguably) since the Droid X.

Samsung Galaxy Note 4: Samsung was now 4 years into the Note line, and was continuing to build up the Note army.

Samsung Galaxy S 5: Samsung wanted to roll out all the stops for this phone as well as try and be more geared toward health software. The phone was IP67 water and dust resistant, had a heart rate monitor, home button finger printer sensor, and the "band-aid" back. This phone was famous for Samsung not wanting to honor warranties for phones that were actually damaged by water.

Moto G: Motorola took a different approach with phones. They realize the fight for the high end market was over saturated and business wise didn't really benefit them as much. So they starting shifting focus to the mid and low end market. The Moto G was their mid end phone that had a flagship field. Having purchased several (later editions) for family members, I highly recommend this phone. Especially for people on a budget, people who can care less about the phone "food chain", or for a relative who are not as tech savvy but want a smart phone.

HTC One M(8): HTC went another year just copying and pasting last year's design. Yes, if it is not broke don't fix. But people want to see these phones continue to evolve. HTC even used this exact phone and loaded it up with windows software to sell it as a Windows Phone. It returned with dual front facing speakers, and it came with the Ultra pixel camera. Note: When I google this I am seeing reviews of the GPE HTC One M8, but I thought it was the original HTC One that was GPE. Someone can correct me.

Sony Xperia Z3 and Z3 compact: With phones chasing the note line, trying to be larger, some were missing the days of the compact phones. Sony tried to fill that with the Z3 compact. What people liked about the Z3 compact was that it was smaller without a compromise in specs. At the time, and arguably still the case now, smaller phones had a drop somewhere in the spec department. Both the Z3 and Z3 compact was favored for the design, and received high marks from publications.

Nexus 6: Shamu. I remember asking Google for a phone like the Note back when I had the Nexus 5. Leading up to this phone was the maker of the OG Droid and Google getting together to make a Nexus. People could not wait. And when we finally got it, there were complaint about the size, the cost (which I disagreed with the complaint), and the process to get the phone. Google struggled to handle the orders for those not wanting to but the phone through carriers, as this was the first Nexus sold in carrier stores for ATT, Verizon, Sprint, and T-Mobile. This meant people could buy a phone on a plan. But people feared that carriers would interfere with OTAs. Google addressed those concerns by dropping the updates online. And I can not forget the carrier logos branded on the back of the phones, that did not go over well with Nexus fans.

One Plus: A new manufacturer entered the ring with a phone that wanted to challenge the other manufacturers. One Plus One would bring a flagship phone without the flagship prices, while promising not to skimp on specs. This phone would appeal to rom fans early as it was loaded with CyanogenMod and was a phone that was designed to be rooted an modded. And the back was that sandstone black. One of the criticism with One Plus early on was the invite system. In order to be able to purchase the phone you had to receive an invite.

LG G3: 3rd generation of the LG flagship. Lg wanted to deal with criticism of LG G2 by making the G3 look more premium.

• Like Like x 1
  11. pc747

pc747 Administrator

Ratings:
    +7,013
    2014 honorable mention: Note Edge would change Samsung phones forever.

2015: Bring your cameras and your fast charger. Fast charging was becoming a standard feature in flagship phones.

Android was so hot that Blackberry decided to switch. The Blackberry Priv would bring the physical keyboard back to android. Problem was we were just too far away from using physical keyboards, that people didn't need them anymore. What hurt Blackberry was the price.

Moto X Style/ pure edition: In a world of phones with a fingerprint scanner, Motorola decided not to put one in the pure edition. Other than that the phone, software wise, was pretty much a nexus.

Nexus 6P: Huawei needed more exposure for the American customers. Up until then they were mainly known for being the phone for non contract carriers like Cricket. A partnership with Google could help with that. So we got the Nexus 6P. This would be one of the last Nexus phones ever made by Google. The 6P brought the premium metal design, distinct camera hump design), a better camera (compared to nexus phones in the past), and a fast fingerprint sensor (one of the best). Despite it failing a few bend tests, the phone was a nice design overall. It was a large phone, but was thinner (than the Nexus 6). Google would show that they were heading on the right path toward becoming a flagship competitor. This is the first Nexus that I did not root/unlock the bootloader. Google was finally getting their software to a point where I did not feel the need to want to modify it.

Nexus 5X: LG continues to be the go to for Google. Wanting to bring back the fan favorite, Nexus 5, they sought LG to make an updated Nexus 5, the 5X. This would be a smaller nexus with less premium material. Unfortunately this phone would suffer from reboot issues late in its life. Google/LG were subjected to a class action lawsuit because of it.

LG G4: Buttons still on the back, now a signature of the phone, LG wanted to appeal to the customers. With basically every phone going to non removable batteries, LG decided to make their batteries removable. This also allowed them to offer an option to purchase a leather back panel to add a more premium look and feel.

Galaxy S6/S6 edge: Samsung experimented with the Note edge the year before. This year we would see it manifested in a Galaxy S with the Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge. The S6 edge was the more expensive version of the S6, but with less bezels on the side. Samsung stepped up their design for both the S6 and S6 edge by going with the premium glass backs. The phone was beautifully designed, bringing back the fingerprint sensor in the home button, heart rate monitor, and the option for those wanting a larger phone without the S Pen (ie S6 Edge +). Samsung would remove water resistance and expandable storage. Moves that Samsung would backtrack on in future phones.

Samsung Galaxy Note 5: Design wise, this was one of the best looking note phones up to that point. The premium glass back from the S6 made its way to the Note. This phone had one of the best cameras in a smartphone and ended up being my choice phone for 2015 ( I would later give it to my brother a few months later and picked up a Nexus 6P after Samsung and AT&T's lack of updates.

HTC M9: sigh.... Another copy and paste job by HTC. By this point people were tired of HTC. They had begun their fall and it was starting to show in their phones. The camera took a hit from the year before. And Samsung was beginning to lap them.

One Plus 2: Never settle was settling on no NFC, removable battery, SD Card slot, or wireless charging (to be fair, flagships this year had all abandoned removable batteries and expandable storage). The 2nd phone for the One Plus 2 was met with some criticism but they still maintained a fan base.

LG V10: 5.7 inch quad HD, secondary display, removable 3000 mAh battery, this was an awesome looking phone overall. It kept the buttons on the back but added a fingerprint scanner. This phone would start LG's live of premium designed V phones.

Samsung Galaxy A5 (released Dec of 2015): Only reason I am bringing this phone up is because it was basically the same phone used to make the Pixel phones the next year.

12. Sajo

Sajo Diamond Member

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +11,085
    Current Phone Model:
    Moto Z2 Force
    There were some great phones in 2014. I had the Turbo while the other 3 family members all had the Moto X 2014 aka Moto X 2. Both were stellar devices.

I think you forgot one important phone in 2015....the Droid Turbo 2. The first shatter proof screen ever put in a phone. It may have had a few hiccups early on, but I personally think Shattershield was revolutionary.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

#36 Sajo, Oct 5, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
Search tags for this page
azs

best cameras

news