CDMA Milestone A854

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by hatlessman, Sep 19, 2010.

1. hatlessman

hatlessman New Member

Hello! My brother just got this phone from a local carrier (Alaska). I have a suspicion that its just a Droid, but with a different name so as not to step on Verizon's toes.

Also, Universal AndRoot identified it as a Droid, and it worked fine. Should I use Droid roms? I did a nandroid backup just in case, but I thought I'd ask before I tried anything.
  2. mwhartman

mwhartman Super Moderator/RS Premium Member

Interesting situation. What does the phone model say. Tap, menu, tap settings, tap about phone, Look at Model Number.
  3. hatlessman

hatlessman New Member

The model # is A854.
  4. mwhartman

mwhartman Super Moderator/RS Premium Member

Mine says "Droid" I'm not sure how to respond regarding the installation of a Rom.
  5. hatlessman

hatlessman New Member

Yeah, I think I'm just gonna give a rom a try. Here goes!
  6. Online1

Online1 New Member

If you try a ROM post a update here. I have one of these also. But have not loaded a custom ROM yet. The most I have done is Root and overclock.
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2010
  7. Online1

Online1 New Member

8. hatlessman

hatlessman New Member

Yep! I flashed Froyo Bugless Beast 0.5 just fine! Looks like its a rebranded Droid! YAY!
  9. theredchord

theredchord New Member

hey hatlessman so does everything work mms, data, ext... im thinking about going to acs but only if i can get the a854 overclocked and running 2.2 custom roms.. any info would be great thanks
  10. Online1

Online1 New Member

I am running 2.2 with no problems. Everything works fine. OC to 1000mHz. Rom I use is in my sig. Then you just run one if the custom Kernels like Chevy's or something for more speed.
  11. awmartin

awmartin New Member

I have the A854 on Nex-Tech Wireless (local to my area) and the only thing that I have found not to work without a little adjusting is the MMS on most custom ROMs that I have loaded. I found a solution to that though and depending on your carrier, you have to add in an apns-conf_xx.xml file to the /system/etc folder, not hard to do though. You can find this apns-conf files in your stock rom under the /system/etc folder and if you have trouble finding them, let me know and I can post the one for your carrier.
  12. theredchord

theredchord New Member

Thanks for the reply... I'm still a little nervous about acs mainly because there lack of good phones. I'm on att now with a nexus but there coverage just sucks. Thanks again for the piece of mind about the a854.
  13. Online1

Online1 New Member

True on phones. But the coverage has been great. They also have the Desire if you like the NX1 look.
  14. theredchord

theredchord New Member

ok so how do i extract the .xml file from my backup.. flashed f.r.y works great except sms mms ... can i do it on the phone? help would be great. thanks
  15. awmartin

awmartin New Member

The only backup that I have been successful in access the system files on was a Nandroid backup created by SPRecovery so if you don't have a Nandroid Backup using SPRecovery then I am not sure how you can extract them. The SPRecovery Nandroid backups are located on the SD Card under nandroid and you will need to access these files using Windows Explorer or some other means of exploring them from your Desktop. If you don't have this backup, let me know and I can share out that ACS or whatever carrier you have xml file for you to download.

Once you have access to the nandroid backup folder find the backup that you did before you flashed any custom roms and find the system.tar file and open it using WinRAR (what I used). Once the tar opens in WinRAR double click on the .\etc folder and then in there you will see a large list of apns-conf_xx.xml files. You can extract each file and find the APNs file you need for your carrier. I believe the one for ACS is apns-conf_30.xml. Extract that file and put it in the root of your sdcard.

Now the tricky part, which I am still testing with someone else is below.

Once that is saved to your phones SD card make sure you turn off file sharing and then using either Terminal or ADB Shell (Same thing) enter these commands below:

su <-----(this should give you a # instead of a $, if not, make sure you have given terminal/adb superuser permission)
    sysrw <-----(if this command does not work use: mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system )
    cd etc
    mv apns-conf.xml apns-conf.bak
    cp ../../sdcard/apns-conf_30.xml apns-conf.xml
    sysro <-----(if this command does not work use: mount -o remount,ro -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system )
    sync
    reboot

After Reboot, use Voice Dialer and say "Open APNs", Click Open APNs and voila, ACS should be listed above Verizon. Click on the green button by ACS and then hit the Home button back out. If it don't work the first time, you might try to reboot your phone just to see if that fixes it since it isn't checked by default.

Try that and let me know if it works for you and if you find a step that I missed, please let me know.

.: EDIT :.
    Just in case you don't want to mess around with extracting the xml file, I have posted it below, and you have to right click and save as otherwise it just tries to read it in the browser.
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10350495/apns-conf_30.xml

That is the one for ACS (Alaska Communications System).
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2010
  16. theredchord

theredchord New Member

so at the risk of sounding stupid ... teres no changes i can use a system file browser and just replace the old .xml with the new. or am i combining the two .xml files?
  17. awmartin

awmartin New Member

I am not sure if you can use a system browser to replace the old xml file as I have not tried it that way before. It is a system file and is probably in read only so you will need to make sure your system is in read write mode or have root explorer or something similar.

The way I have explained above is using either Terminal Emulator or ADB which is used in DOS. ADB is easier since you actually use Windows/DOS to do all the commands.

If you are not familiar with ADB here is a nice writeup on it.
    http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-hacks/6865-how-use-adb-all-commands-options.html
  18. theredchord

theredchord New Member

i'm going to give it a try on root explorer ... because im not to hot with command. so before i do i'm just replacing the con_30.xml with the one you gave me? again thanks for your help
  19. awmartin

awmartin New Member

If you have a apns-conf_30.xml file already in your system/etc folder, then you probably don't have a custom ROM installed. Most Custom ROMS only have the apns-conf.xml file in the system/etc folder. So what you want to do is make a backup of apns-conf.xml using root explorer, then copy apns-conf_30.xml to system/etc and rename it to apns-conf.xml. You may want to rename it to apns-conf.xml before coping the file. Once you have done that, then follow the rest of my instructions for doing the Open APNs dialer command and that from the above post.

Let me know if it works or doesn't and I will sure do what I can to help.
  20. theredchord

theredchord New Member

Ok so I made a back up. Renamed the file you gave me and placed it in system/ect then backed out and did the voice dailer think ... but only verizon was listed. Do I need to reboot?
Search tags for this page
android acs alaska apns-conf xml
cdma motorola a854
cdma-carriers-conf.xml
cellcom mms apns-conf.xml
gci cdma android
gci tether xml
milestone a854
motorola a854 backup
motorola a854 cdma
motorola a854 milestone
motorola a854 review
motorola a854 specs

motorola milestone a854 review

motorola milestone a854 specs
motorola milestone work with cdma coverage?