Caution: Warning - Free Games with In-Game Buying

Discussion in 'Android Games' started by Shadez, Oct 11, 2011.

1. Shadez

Shadez Super Mod/News Team Staff Member Premium Member

A trend is starting, or has started, where games are being offered free, with the ability to 'buy' additional items while in game. Now for instance, and this is partially my fault, my nephew who is 6 downloaded a free game yesterday, and the next thing I knew I'm seeing all these "Thank You for your order" emails charged to my account. It's a very deceiving practice for people who let their kids play with their older phones or new phone. As some games, you can earn point to BUY upgrades, the ones I am referring to have a similar BUY option to upgrade but charges you. Now I know the difference, but when I child is playing a free game and they see BUY, they don't know they are being charged real money for the purchase.

Just a heads up.. now I'm out $6 for some Bunny shooting game, with no refunds available..
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2011
  2. thaDroidz

thaDroidz New Member

I would definitely log out of the google account on that phone, if need be make a new account but dont ever attach a credit card to it...
    Remove the Verizon market thingy altogether as it will charge the phone....

posted tomorrow using the space time continuum app on my D1...
  3. PetRiLJoe

PetRiLJoe New Member

What exactly does Verizon potentially charge you for? Just wondering of you are referring to things that might get charged directly to your account and not am attached credit card, such as Verizon's navigation alternative. I'd like to know if I should look out for other things.

On a quick side note-funny sig you have!

SwiftKeyed ' from my Moto A855 using Tapatalk. ;].
    — • — • — • — • — • — • — • —
    Yeah I said SwiftKey... temporarily bored of Swype.
  4. Shadez

Good advice, I had initially put the google acct back on the phone just to get the games I had already purchased on it ..
  5. Shadez

I am not sure, this was the android app market. I don't have the verizon app store, but if they have similar 'free' games, that allow you to upgrade weapons, etc using real money, I would look at how the upgrade is applied, are you using points you earned in the game or are they charging you a fee to upgrade said items.
  6. thaDroidz

thaDroidz New Member

My son had need for speed charged to our phone bill, it was preinstalled on the dinc2 and he bought full versions or it was bought via the Verizon apps, the dinc is rooted now so i was able to remove the Verizon bloat..

In the OP's case the phone is probably wifi only and not linked to a Verizon account...

posted tomorrow using the space time continuum app on my D1...