1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Casio G'zone review

Discussion in 'Casio G'zOne Commando' started by danDroid, Apr 28, 2011.

1. danDroid

danDroid Administrator Staff Member

Android Central does a quick hands on review of the new Casio G'zone!

2. crabbybahstid

crabbybahstid New Member

Thanks for the link!
  3. XMasterMoronX

XMasterMoronX New Member

It is sad when a company that makes primarily watches can create an appealing smart phone. Seems much cooler than motoblur
  4. cloudstrife05

cloudstrife05 New Member

Dont know about sad, Casio is a good brand, and their previous G'Zone models have all been great phones.
    Telling you, this might be a sleeper. Dont know about the updates, might not get GB though. Its running at 800mhz and Froyo I think.
  5. emscapt47

emscapt47 New Member

Why not gb?

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums
  6. bsweetness

bsweetness Moderator

Probably the same reason why a lot of phones get released with a previous OS version - they started developing the phone before the latest OS release, and after getting the hardware, their overlays, and the OS to play nicely, they decided that they didn't want to start all over again and delay the phone. By the time the phone would come out, another OS version would be released or right around the corner. Get it out with an OS that is working for you and then see about updates later. Makes perfect sense to me.

Although I will admit that it's more understandable one, two, or three months after the release of a new version of the OS. Four months going on five months is starting to push it.

If this phone had global capabilities, it would be perfect for me. I do a lot of travelling, and I'm outdoors quite a bit. I would love to have something like this.
  7. tavenger5

tavenger5 New Member

Posted my review of the commando here today: Casio G'Zone Commando Review

I plan on doing some more testing, like giving it a dip in some water.
  8. illmatic636

illmatic636 New Member

As we are experiencing with the OG Droid, specs do not meet OS requirements.
    Not to say a Dev wont port it over. Just like we do with OG Droid. Just needs to be shaved down a bit.

But unlikely will see many OS updates.
  9. npro1464

npro1464 New Member

Does this phone have a locked bootloader?
  10. Xplorer4x4

Xplorer4x4 New Member

Thank you, some one who realizes this!

I played with the phone at VZW the other day. Not to big, not to small, does have an ice rugged feel to it. I ran a quadrant on it. Scored in the 8-900s I think. I bet if you OC it from 800MHz to 1-1.2Ghz and put it on a diet it would be a good performer. I just wonder how well it could tolerate an OC as it might not be able to tolerate the increase in heat.
  11. gioakjoe

gioakjoe New Member

First off If any one can over clock this please post how Iv tried setCPU and i cant get it to go more then 806mhz.

2nd Here is my 2 cents about the Casio Comando

Pros
    -Screen looks amazing
    -Thick gorilla glass helps protect screen
    -Rugged
    -Water Resistant
    -Fast

Cons
    -Thick screen makes you press harder to use touch
    -waterproof headphone jack makes some head phones not useable
    -Not 4g

The Casio Commando allows people who once couldn’t have smart phones get smart phones. This Android phone running 2.2 is fast and very rugged. The first thing I did when I got the phone was put this phone under water in my tub and took pictures made phone calls and texts as well as updated my facebook underwater. I will say do that at your own risk and I wouldn’t take your phone very deep but if you drop it in water it will live to tell the story.

After the water test I tested the speed using the 3g I got 1mbts up and 1mbts down witch was fairly good. It’s no 4g phone but if you are a rugged user 4g is probably not where you going to take this phone any ways. It has built in wifi and I connected to my router with ez. This phone is also a wireless hot spot for an extra monthly fee.

The screen is 800x480 and looks amazing it’s a little smaller then the droid x or the thunderbolt but its still pretty good size. One thing that I love about this phone is that it uses a thick gorilla glass witch helps reduces scratches as well as live up to drops and falls. The little bit thicker glass makes it a slightly less touchy then other phones but once you get use to having to press a little harder you get you to it pretty fast.

The day I got this phone I tried to run as many programs at a time to see how the 800mhz processor handheld. To my surprise switching between texting, sirusxm, slingbox, Pandora, browser, and making a few calls in between this phone never stop to think. It was running as fast as I could think. I ran Quadrant and got a score of 1050.

It has a 5mpx camera but camera people will tell you mega pixels don’t mean every thing. This camera is pretty decent. It’s not going to win any professional photos but it will take great photos and videos to post up on facebook or what have you.

One thing that I loved more then any other phone I have had is this thing kicks on speakers. When I watched my slingbox you could hear the sound loud and crisp, better then my laptop. Going to speaker phone was the same thing Casio did the speakers right when they made this phone and will work nice to put it on speaker phone out in the field when your hands are full.

At the end of the day this is a really good phone and allows people never before able to have smart phones get them with out worrying about weather conditions. It’s not the fastest phone or the best looking phone. But it’s defiantly the most rugged phone and so is my jeep and that’s why I Love it.
  12. illmatic636

illmatic636 New Member

Thanks for the review. You've shined a new light on a device I would not give a 2nd look to. Now, it's a little more appealing than before.
    Any clue if it will ever see Gingerbread on it?

Thanks again
  13. 05evors

05evors New Member

just left unrooted DX w /GB running launcherpro and beautifull widgets and switcherpro for powercontrol. Im running the same experience on my commando. CC is not a media powerhouse but with 'smart keyboard' app set up right(keyboard gripes gone), 'power amp' to run music w eq, and getting used to pressing hard on pad it is a fine jump.

I work outdoors now(ex vzw rep!) and love the sound and tough nature. I broke my DX screen from 14" drop to concrete - fail.

Quadrants 1100-1150. When I saw this at a company store deal was done. Wirefly'd mine FREE.

WISHLIST: amoled screen, voice text software(not a huge deal?)
  14. cbreze

cbreze New Member

A quick comment about the screen, I've had mine just over a week and have gotten used to certain screen quirks. No big deal at all. I have found that certain presses just take getting used to and after a week I'm already used to it. I really like the phone and am even getting used to swype on the kb. Curious if anybody has a better 3rd party kb they have D/L'd for their commando that they feel works even better.
  15. 05evors

05evors New Member

...my loaded up 16gb card from my Droid x works fine in the CC....thought this would be good info for any moto-droid jumpers

brand to brand no guarantees w memory formatting
  16. smokeater2104

smokeater2104 New Member

was wndering I have been taking scrrenshot with my commando. ive read that if ypu push the back button amd hold it then push the home key that it takes scree shots. that doesnt work does anyone have any suggestions. also what is agood root tool.
Search tags for this page
casio commado 4g review

casio commando review

casio droid
casio g'zone 4g 2013 review
casio g'zone 4g review
casio phones 4g
commando 4g review
droid commander phone reviews

droid commando review

gz1specs
head phone jack on my commando gz one don't work