Case that protects the screen, but doesn't make the phone bulky

Oozybrute

Reaction score
I'm looking for a case with about the same thickness as the incipio feather case (I'm okay with something a little thicker), that protects the screen of the phone.
I'm completely okay with scratches of the metal part of my phone, I don't care. I simply want a case that that doesn't weigh two tons (think Otterbox), but still keeps any damage from the screen in the case of a face down drop. Anyone have any suggestions?

These are my ideas so far, but none of them have what I'm looking for. I want a case that barely adds anything to the phone, yet still keeps the phone's screen from cracking.

Cruzerlite Androidified A2 TPU Case for Motorola RAZR MAXX HD - Android Skin Cases - Android Community Store - Probably the best so far, does anyone know if it would survive a face down drop?

Amazon.com: TRIDENT AG-MOT-RAZRMXHD-BK Motorola Aegis Case for Droid Razr Maxx HD - 1 Pack - Retail Packaging - Black: Cell Phones & Accessories - Bulky, but not huge like the otterbox

Motorola Droid RAZR MAXX HD DualPro Hard Shell Case with Silicone Core - Similar to the Trident, but makes the phone round, not something I'm going for - I might as well buy a Samsung. *Yuck*

Motorola Droid RAZR MAXX HD feather Ultra Thin Snap-On Case - Another reasonable option, but it doesn't protect from top or bottom drops of the phone, so it's actually a little bit worse than the cruzerlite in my opinion.

Anyone have any experience with cases that fit these specifications? (Or have one of the above mentioned ones and willing to vouch for it?

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score

turbodave

Reaction score
All I can add is, I've learned my lesson about cases that cover the keys thinking that might protect them. With the keys covered it's just that much harder to manipulate them, and in some cases near impossible. I only saw a couple (cruzerliet, and feather) choices on your list that left the keys exposed. Stick with one that leaves the keys exposed, and easy to use.

OP
O

Oozybrute

Reaction score
I've always been a fan of the Diztronic Black "Matte" cases: Amazon.com: Diztronic Matte Back Black Flexible TPU Case for Motorola Droid Razr Maxx HD (Verizon - ONLY FOR MAXX HD MODEL) - Retail Packaging: Cell Phones & Accessories

Adds little in size, buttons work good, has a nice feel, and as long as it's falling on a completely flat surface, the screen shouldn't be touched as the edge around the screen is raised a bit with some added grip.

That was the exact case I was looking for. Thank you very much.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Good luck with it! That's one of the cases that cover the keys that I didn't like at all.

Maybe I just got lucky, but I found the keys just as easy, if not easier to push with that case. I know the manufacturing processes aren't exactly top notch on those cheaper cases, so I'd be willing to bet there is some variance with those types of issues... in other words, maybe I was lucky! :)

CaptainSS

Gold Member
Reaction score
Must admit, been looking and looking - FORGET about finding anything in stores.

For some reason this thread finally pushed me to order an Incipio DualPro for my Razr MaxxHD.

I have owned ALL of the cases mentioned and really like the Incipio on my GS3.
So, why not get what was liked on a prior phone.
Ordered it along with a Zagg and 2 day delivery from the Big "A".

Thank you for finally pushing the resolution before the inevitable "Drop".

CaptainSS

Gold Member
Reaction score
Update: Ended up ordering BOTH the Incipio cases (Dual Pro and Feather )

Impressions:
Both are very well made, all slots/holes line up perfectly.
Both have a very nice tactile feel, not shiney slippery at all.
The Dual Pro is the two piece and covers more but does add some size and weight. Makes the phone look generic (if Black)
No telling what phone is inside. The Dual Pro attracts a maddening amount of dust/lint and finger oils.
The phone simply looks like it is owned by a homeless person all the time. Tough to clean too.
Proection aspects would be quite good IMO compared to say an OtterBox Commuter (I had on my last Maxx) I had over-heating problems with that phone whether the cover caused it I do not know. The OBC added considerable size and even more noticeable - weight. Did not attract as much lint as the Incipio (rubber liner).

The Incipio Feather as mentioned fits perfectly and adds almost nothing in size or weight. The screen is elevated if face down.

Nice tactile feel, case covers the back/left and right edges and the corners. I got the gray (different than black was welcome) compliments the gray aluminum border of the MaxxHD.

No lint, No dust, minimal if any fingerprint reveal.

Which one? That is up to personal choice. There are similarities between the two but more differences.
If someone wants a little protection - I think the Feather will provide it.

I like the DualPro better than the OtterBox EXCEPT for the lint grab - Maddening. Why have a nice phone that you want protected only to completely obscure its identity and then heap crap on it 24/7 ?

For now, the Feather is on mine but I will probably keep the DualPro just in case (no pun) they are uber easy to take off and put on so, IF I see the need for more protection over aesthetics - I'll simply swap them.

Hope it helps.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
+1 on the Dual Pro - absolutely love them, but certain models attract dust like crazy, while others don't - almost like the material is slightly different or has some dust repellent coating.

CaptainSS

Gold Member
Reaction score
+1 on the Dual Pro - absolutely love them, but certain models attract dust like crazy, while others don't - almost like the material is slightly different or has some dust repellent coating.

Had a DualPro on my GS3 which is why I went ahead and ordered another one. Zero iissue on the GS3 - No lint/dust/fingerprints at all.
Had an OtterBox on my last Maxx and as I mentioned added size /WEIGHT and was slippery hard plastic.

I like this Feather but am not sure on a scale of 1-10 where I would put the protection ... my guess is:

OB Defender : 9-10
OB Commuter: 7-8
DualPro: 6-7
Feather: 2-3

Again, just a guess based on having used all Four(4)

P7M8

Reaction score
I just shattered the screen on my Razr Maxx HD. I was using the VZW textured case with the built in stand. I really liked that case since it added minimal bulk and had a holster. I used the Seidio Active with my previous Razr Maxx. I would have gotten it for the HD if the stand supported the phone with the charging port up.

Any guidance to a minimal case with holster but with better screen protection would be appreciated. A holster made for the case is a must. Having searched it looks like I may have no choice but to add bulk. Leaning to the Kraken AMS. Any other suggestions? The Defender would be nice but not having a holster nixes that option. Also, I'm not really a fan of the "integrated" plastic screen cover but may not have a choice.

micahjbrooks1991

Reaction score
The best case I've come across was basically a cross between a bulky otterbox and something that just snaps on. It's called a shocksuit from body glove mobile and its preety sleek but still protects very well. And i used a code on their site and got free shipping and 20% off with JP20. Not sure it's exactly waht you're looking for but it's been great for me!

drybgerg

Reaction score
The best case I've come across was basically a cross between a bulky otterbox and something that just snaps on. It's called a shocksuit from body glove mobile and its preety sleek but still protects very well. And i used a code on their site and got free shipping and 20% off with JP20. Not sure it's exactly waht you're looking for but it's been great for me!

Are you using this case on a Motorola Razr Maxx HD? Can't seem to locate one??