Case and car mount for Incredible 2?

MisterBill

Reaction score
I just ordered a couple of Incredible 2's for my daughter and myself. Can someone suggest a good source for reasonably priced cases and car window mounts? I looked on Amazon, they have the Otterbox, which is rather pricey for me (around $30), and a bunch of cases from China, which seem to get mixed reviews. I did not see any mounts. I assume I can find a bunch of I look on ebay.

anguish

Reaction score
I've got the mount from Verizon. Can't use a case with it (maybe a thin rubber case or something), and fuh-ged-aboutit if you're using an extended battery, but it works quite well. I've kept my stock battery/cover for when I do use it as navigation.

Not saying it's cheap, but it does work.

As far as cases, I don't use them, so I can't be much help there.

dr_cheah

Reaction score
I got the OtterBox Commuter, which I am so far pleased with. I don't mind paying a bit more for a case that will protect the phone. As for a car mount kit, I got this kit from Amazon and I am quite pleased with it. I need to attach the included disc to the top of my dash so I can stick the suction cup piece into the perfect spot, but I used the air vent mount over the weekend and it worked quite well.

anguish

Reaction score
I may have to look into that Akron mount. I've heard good things about their products, and if I don't have to swap out batteries every time I want to use it, that's well worth it.

How stable overall was the air vent mount?

dr_cheah

Reaction score
It took some playing around, but once I got the air vent properly situated, it was rock solid. Your results may vary with your specific car, but I have a 2008 Sentra.

OP
M

MisterBill

Reaction score
Thanks.. I will order one of the mounts to try out. I was trying to order from a 3rd party to avoid the sales tax but it seems like Amazon wants to charge it if it ships the item ("Fulfilled by Amazon"). That's disappointing! Also, it does not appear that you can rotate it to display it horizontally in the normal GPS format. Are there any that do that?

While I was on Amazon, I found this car charger
Amazon.com: Motorola Vehicle Power Adapter micro-USB Rapid Rate Charger: Cell Phones & Accessories
and ordered 2 of them. I've never had luck with the 3rd party car chargers so $3.05 for a Motorola branded unit that has great reviews is too good to pass up.

dr_cheah

Reaction score
Did you order those chargers from Amazon direct or from a 3rd party seller? There were some reviews stating that 3rd parties were selling knock off versions that were not as good. I got one of the official ones from Amazon and it works quite well. It ships in OEM packaging but it has full instructions and warranty info.

OP
M

MisterBill

Reaction score
I ordered the chargers from Amazon directly. I agree, the 3rd party sellers may substitute a generic item. I have Prime, so shipping was free.

Of course, if the seller ship you something other than the OEM product, you can file an A-to-Z claim against them, but it's not worth the hassle since you can get it so cheaply from Amazon.

anguish

Reaction score
Also, it does not appear that you can rotate it to display it horizontally in the normal GPS format. Are there any that do that?
I know the one from Verizon can do that. I actually find though that I like my navigation vertical though for some reason. Started using it like that with my D2G, never really found the need to switch back.

dr_cheah

Reaction score
Thanks.. I will order one of the mounts to try out. I was trying to order from a 3rd party to avoid the sales tax but it seems like Amazon wants to charge it if it ships the item ("Fulfilled by Amazon"). That's disappointing! Also, it does not appear that you can rotate it to display it horizontally in the normal GPS format. Are there any that do that?

The Arkon that I linked to can rotate from portrait to landscape with no problem.

anguish

Reaction score
Got the Arkon yesterday, and have played around with it a bit now. Definitely a keeper. I don't much care for the release mechanism and the way it operates, but it definitely is a solid platform for holding my phone, even with the extended battery.

That said, I haven't played with the vent mount yet. I'm hoping to do that today...perhaps when I should be working but don't feel like it (which is most of the time). I've tried mounting things on the vent in the past in my current vehicle (2004 Ford Escape) and have run into issues, but we'll see.

OP
M

MisterBill

Reaction score
Can someone please confirm that cases advertised for the Incredible S will also fit the DI2? I am under the impression that they are the same phone. Obviously the base Incredible model is not the same format. Thanks.

meltdown

Reaction score
All I can say is don't get the OEM Verizon Car Mount. You can't use the volume buttons, its difficult to get your phone in and out of, and if you have to take a call, it stops charging (unless you want to hold the actual mount to your head) which isn't very good for batteries. I really should have tried to get my money back.

If anyone wants it, I'll part with it for a low price. Comes with original packing. Just PM me.

Sent from my ADR6350 using DroidForums App

OP
M

MisterBill

Reaction score
So, I ordered the following tonight. I ordered the screen protectors for the S, I am almos 100% positive that they fit (amusingly, one seller on ebay had listings for both, the DI2 was 50c higher than the DIS). I got 3 for $1.28 with free shipping from a US seller.

3X LCD Screen Film Protector For HTC Incredible S S710E | eBay

Then I ordered a set of 5 TPU cases for $11.95 because my daughter wanted to be able to switch off. They had a set of 2 cases with LCD protectors for less, but then I would have had to order myself a case, so this worked out better.

5X TPU Skin Case Covers for HTC Droid Incredible 2 6350 | eBay

OP
M

MisterBill

Reaction score
So, I emailed the ebay seller who had screen protectors listed for both the Incredible S and 2, with the listing for the DI2 being 50c higher than the DIS! He told me

"Hi, listings are made looking at competitors pricing. We do not decide
pricing based on model. Title dictates the pricing on EBAY. However they
are same :)"

So if you want to find bargains on accessories, look for stuff for the DIS as well as the DI2.