Case and car dock

NewArtDroid

Reaction score
I recently got a Bionic after retiring my original Droid. I had a Seido case and Seido car dock. For Bionic what is the recommendation for case and car dock? What are thought on the Motorola Vehicle Navigation dock sold on Amazon for $50?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

AndyMcDroid

Reaction score
Some (many?) say that the Verizon case with the kickstand fits into the car dock (with the insert removed), but mine never seemed to fit properly. With other cases you would have to hear from someone with the specific case you're looking at.

After getting an Otterbox Defender, which obviously won't fit in the car dock, I found that a modified Garmin mount works well with the Defender. See here if you're considering the Defender.

r314bd

Reaction score
I too had an OG Droid and Seidio car dock and recently upgraded to a D4 with the Motorola D4 Car Dock. The new Motorola mounts are really well designed and I think you'll be happy with the official Motorola mount for the Bionic (currently $48 on Amazon.) It is compatible with most cases too (except bulkier ones like the Otterbox) and is very sturdy.

Make sure you don't get the dock from a VZW store because that one doesn't come with a car charging cable.

BroidDrionic

Reaction score
I've got mine naked (plus a skinit) and in the motorola car dock. It's perfect, but make sure you buy it from motorola and not from verizon because the verizon one doesn't come with the very important car charging/audio cable.

sst45jeff

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
I came from the original droid 1 to the bionic also & I have been using the brodit pro clip system with the droid 1.
I love there stuff but it is a bit spend y if you are not going to keep your phone for awhile.

When I updated to the bionic I was looking for the same quality & simplicity of what I had for the D1.
I got the Costco package that came with the Motorola car dock (only one to my knowledge that i have heard puts the phone into car mode)
The build quality is comparable & the Garmin GPS mount from Pro clip fits the Motorola car dock.
With the car specific mount from Pro clip you are ready to go with any phone you may upgrade to by changing just the car dock for the specific phone.

As far as cases go I tried the hard shell case from Verizon & it does not fit in the car dock properly as suggested by others. It will fit but not properly.
The only case I have found that fits properly in the car dock is the TPU cases or the after market TPU cases.

If you like a holster the TPU case fits int the holster of the hard case from Verizon nicely, so you get the best of both. A holster & case that fits the car dock.

OP
N

NewArtDroid

Reaction score
I realize I never did come back here and thank everyone for those tips. I bought that Motorola car dock and I REALLY like it for my car. I already have a GROM, and so it goes into my stereo system nicely, something my old Droid didn't do as well with. I do notice that music and GPS go through the car speaker, but phone calls come straight to the phone. I guess that makes sense. I did not buy a case and not sure I need one.