Carriers have to let you text 911 by the end of the year

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
IMG_0461.jpg

You've had the option of texting 911 in a handful of US cities for a couple of months, thanks in part to voluntary efforts from bigger cellphone carriers. However, the FCC doesn't want you to be left out solely because you're on a smaller network. The agency has just adopted rules requiring that all American wireless providers have the capability for text-to-911 by the end of the year. You won't necessarily get emergency messaging by that point, but carriers will have six months to implement it in a given region if a local call center makes a request.

Right now, the new regulation won't make a big difference. Only Maine and Vermont are fully prepared to handle SMS in a crisis, and you'll only find some form of coverage in 16 states. However, the FCC's move means that adoption could grow very quickly -- now that carriers can't say no, 911 facilities are more likely to push for the technology. Don't be surprised if you can soon send a text-based cry for help at any moment when a voice call would be difficult or dangerous.

FCC

grenefroggie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 5
Makes sense. Most of today youth wouldn't't know how to dial a phone. But they know how to win texting competitions.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
That's great but texting doesn't give a user location. What happens when someone uses google voice instead? I can see this going horribly wrong.

OP
Jeffrey

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
That's great but texting doesn't give a user location. What happens when someone uses google voice instead? I can see this going horribly wrong.
I'm sure they have the ability to triangulate your position.

grenefroggie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 5
If you can text 911, then you should be able to answer a callback.

The main issue I seen with this is the person texting is doing so to maintain silence. In that event a callback could go wrong. Most instances will likely allow the person requesting 911 services to answer the call.

OP
Jeffrey

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
UPDATE: As of now, carriers can not triangulate an SMS.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm sure they have the ability to triangulate your position.
Verizon Messages app now has a feature that allows send your location attached to texts.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

drunkclever

Reaction score
If you have location turned on I believe your good, also just to note, Maine and Vermont seem to be hazardous states to be in by yourself. Just saying.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
If you have location turned on I believe your good, also just to note, Maine and Vermont seem to be hazardous states to be in by yourself. Just saying.
If you call yes GPS works. SMS has no way of coordinates or triangulation at this moment.

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Corey
Guess if they can't find your location from a text, just be sure to include your address in the text

Tapped from a Moto X