Carrier Solution to Rooting

BodyBagz

Reaction score
Apologies in advance...I do get long winded when I get to thinking on something for a bit...:)

IMO, the real "root" of the problem, is the ease in which it is to root these phones, as well as the ease of being able to carry the phones back to the minimum wage workers at Verizon and get a new device. Now, this is no bash against Verizons retail workers...the simple fact is, its not applicable to have these people try and decipher what ailments are legitimate or whether it was user misuse.

Those reasons alone are why it wouldnt bother me in the least for the carriers to "sniff out" the phones on their networks that are rooted...and then blacklist those devices from warranty and replacement services due to the rooting and modification of the device. Now, to deny service altogether is ridiculous and would not be tolerated in other business models.

Take for instance Auto companies...you buy a car new off the lot it has a Factory Warranty and you have the option of buying an Extended Warranty as well. Now, if there is a manufacturing defect, the Auto company will issue out a recall and fix the issue...kinda the same as pushing an OTA update or hotfix right? Now, if you have a legitimate issue that is not a manufacturing defect, your Factory/Extended Warranty will cover this. But, lets say the issue you are having is the Check Engine Light is staying on and diagnostics has determined it is a Catalytic Sensor fault...which was caused by you replacing the stock exhaust system with a Borla Performance System...that is not a Warranty issue any longer because you modified the system...that means you pay for any and all repairs out of pocket...as it should be! This is the model the phone companies and device makers need to install...it works fairly well.

The tethering is a whole `nother kettle of fish...but it too is fixable...in just a few simple steps..

1) Do not include any built-in tethering abilities without having a software "key" in place that will not unlock until Tethering Service is Activated on the account in question. I am sure this can be pushed OTA..someone correct me if I am thinking not only outside the box, but also outside the damn box making factory...:icon_eek:

2) Institute more levels of tethering packages with price points that are realistic: a) Business/Personal = 5-10gb for $15 additional, b) Gamer = 10-25gb for $30 c) Residential = 25-50gb for $40 additional and d) Unlimited = $50...all prices are in addition to the data package on the device.

3) Track the actual use of the users. If they are on a Business/Personal account and they exceed the 10gb limit 2 months in a row, automatically adjust them to the either the next tier of tethering package or the level their excess usage puts them at. I am quite sure that if you received an automatic bill adjustment from $15 a month to $50 a month, you will be more apt to pay attention to your data usage...

These are just my opinions, and like anyone elses, they dont mean a real hill o beans as far as what the actual companies in question can, should or will do...take it for what it is...just an opinion...:)

dfuser312553

Silver Member
Reaction score
Completely against this entire premise.

I'm rooted and modded out as much as possible. I knew nothing about it when I started but learned quite a bit about it over time. Never came close to truly bricking. Never came close to "frying" my phone. In all honesty the OP and the guys who agree with him sound like the noobs.

If rooting goes away it'll be because there will be a concentrated effort by the companies.

We're on an open platform. It's the best aspect of Android. How can you speak out against people who DO root/mod their phones? I think something is wrong with YOU, not the "idiots" who root.

I'm not speaking out against people who root the phone. I'm speaking out against the people who abuse this privilege. Bricking the phone and then tricking carrier into a warranty replacement and/or tethering gobs of data because you are "unlimited" is the kind of stuff we need to have a crackdown on. If we are going to have a responsible forum we need to crack down on people who get on here and post garbage that is clearly in the crosshairs of the carriers/manufacturers.

Privilege? I didn't get a phone for making honor role; I bought it.
Who bricks phone's? The user who put unofficial software on it or a manufacturer who built it to brick.

Canadroid

Reaction score
If rooting goes away it'll be because there will be a concentrated effort by the companies.

We're on an open platform. It's the best aspect of Android. How can you speak out against people who DO root/mod their phones?

Agreed.

I'm not worrying about the carriers until they start insinuating that rooters and "tether-thieves" are one and the same, or punishing us collectively. Let them build their ""Evil Rooters database".... And really... ARE some of these users truly 'thieves'?

I put much of the blame the carriers for leaving the pantry doors open this long without addressing it; some people are simply going to eat a free lunch if it's there, or if they perceive it t/b free. No one should be raging about it and blaming little guys for the current situation, or suggesting DF enter this fray by passing judgment on some fool that asked some questions you didn't like with his Intro thread.

This is a site for shared learning and collaboration, not a color of law court, no? :pint:

IceAngel8381

Reaction score
It's because of threads like this that make people, like myself, concerned about asking about rooting their phone. While I do agree to a certain extent with the OP, not all of us are ignorant or are going to exceed a certain GB amount each month, we just just want to know how to unleash the power of the android. Some just need taught how to do that, that's all. :)

Canadroid

Reaction score
It's because of threads like this that make people, like myself, concerned about asking about rooting their phone. While I do agree to a certain extent with the OP, not all of us are ignorant or are going to exceed a certain GB amount each month, we just just want to know how to unleash the power of the android. Some just need taught how to do that, that's all. :)

I hear ya about that concern.

I think it will be shameful if the day comes where we have to "hush-hush" discuss rooting a Droid simply because carriers made an about-face and started persecuting folks or painting it as something Very Bad.

I say this mostly due to all the chicanery I've personally seen or heard about where official reps are telling you how to root, what root-access apps to get, or even doing some of the work for you, right in the store! This sort of activity seemed to be endemic last year amongst a few big names...

So again, the carriers have a real hand in creating the situation; massive ignorance amongst your employees or massive lack of communicating or enforcing any consistent policies on the subject to the bottom of the pyramid--how could we have ended up anywhere else by now?

I think there is a lot of potential for bad press and hurt bottom lines if they start getting militant about rooters in general...but still these are corporations....so we shall all just have to wait and see what they decide to do, eh?

wil318466

Reaction score
What happens happens. If Verizon does do anything against people who root, I'll go to Sprint, or whoever.

I downright despise Verizon at this point.

iNfAMOUS702

Reaction score
What happens happens. If Verizon does do anything against people who root, I'll go to Sprint, or whoever.

I downright despise Verizon at this point.

This is widespread...NOT just verizon...look at at&t for example..they dont even allow 3rd party apps...not even legitimate apps like amazon appstore..i highly doubt any carrier will ever embrace the hackers...this forum is full of og droid...dx..dinc..d2/d2g..fascinate users...all verizon phones so we tend to talk about big red alot more than the other carriers..but rest assured that verizon is not the only.carrier "plotting" or whatever

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
The Supreme Court ruled in favor of being able to root our devices. VZW, and every other carrier isn't going to be able to punish for root... other than removing your warranty, which, IMO, is something you should accept if it comes to it. It's a risk we take.

... however tethering is another issue, as it's taking a paid service and accessing it for free. Yes data is data, and I think it's nonsense that VZW charges a separate fee for tethering... but it is what it is, it's spelled out in the contract... so we won't win that battle.

hemorrdroid

Reaction score
I use the tethering primarily for business. And if it were not available for free, no I would not pay for it at all.

I saw some idiot in another part of this forum whining about not being able to tether so he can play world of warcraft.

This is exactly the type of irresponsibility and stupidity that I'm talking about.

Don't be a hypocrite, really, you can justify you breaking the TOS because you think your needs are of a better cause? Plain and simple, you both did the same thing, just in a different way.

I'm not saying it is right how they charge a seperate fee for tethering. It is a double charge, we have to pay twice to use the data THAT way.

FYI warcraft uses VERY little bandwidth, i use to play. I measured it one day, played for about an hour, and used ~25mb. That is nothing compared to what we could be doing on our phones.

OP
A

aggiechase37

Reaction score
Apologies in advance...I do get long winded when I get to thinking on something for a bit...:)

IMO, the real "root" of the problem, is the ease in which it is to root these phones, as well as the ease of being able to carry the phones back to the minimum wage workers at Verizon and get a new device. Now, this is no bash against Verizons retail workers...the simple fact is, its not applicable to have these people try and decipher what ailments are legitimate or whether it was user misuse.

Those reasons alone are why it wouldnt bother me in the least for the carriers to "sniff out" the phones on their networks that are rooted...and then blacklist those devices from warranty and replacement services due to the rooting and modification of the device. Now, to deny service altogether is ridiculous and would not be tolerated in other business models.

Take for instance Auto companies...you buy a car new off the lot it has a Factory Warranty and you have the option of buying an Extended Warranty as well. Now, if there is a manufacturing defect, the Auto company will issue out a recall and fix the issue...kinda the same as pushing an OTA update or hotfix right? Now, if you have a legitimate issue that is not a manufacturing defect, your Factory/Extended Warranty will cover this. But, lets say the issue you are having is the Check Engine Light is staying on and diagnostics has determined it is a Catalytic Sensor fault...which was caused by you replacing the stock exhaust system with a Borla Performance System...that is not a Warranty issue any longer because you modified the system...that means you pay for any and all repairs out of pocket...as it should be! This is the model the phone companies and device makers need to install...it works fairly well.

The tethering is a whole `nother kettle of fish...but it too is fixable...in just a few simple steps..

1) Do not include any built-in tethering abilities without having a software "key" in place that will not unlock until Tethering Service is Activated on the account in question. I am sure this can be pushed OTA..someone correct me if I am thinking not only outside the box, but also outside the damn box making factory...:icon_eek:

2) Institute more levels of tethering packages with price points that are realistic: a) Business/Personal = 5-10gb for $15 additional, b) Gamer = 10-25gb for $30 c) Residential = 25-50gb for $40 additional and d) Unlimited = $50...all prices are in addition to the data package on the device.

3) Track the actual use of the users. If they are on a Business/Personal account and they exceed the 10gb limit 2 months in a row, automatically adjust them to the either the next tier of tethering package or the level their excess usage puts them at. I am quite sure that if you received an automatic bill adjustment from $15 a month to $50 a month, you will be more apt to pay attention to your data usage...

These are just my opinions, and like anyone elses, they dont mean a real hill o beans as far as what the actual companies in question can, should or will do...take it for what it is...just an opinion...:)

It's cool, believe me, I'm amped up myself at the prospect of losing the ability to root the phone. The purpose of this thread is to propose some possible solutions so we can avoid losing this precious privilege. My hope is that some good ideas come out of this thread, and someone who is in charge of SOMETHING will take notice and implement the policy. The other reason is because I don't want to lose the ability to responsibly root my phone just because there are irresponsible people out there taking advantage of the system.