CarDock questions

Dissonance

Reaction score
If you aren't afraid of tearing into your dash, I'd recommend the T605. I have it installed in my VW GTI. By connecting to the correct phone terminals on the stereo the CD player will pause if a call comes in and all audio is routed through the stereo. If the stereo is off, phone calls still get routed through the speakers. It's one of the best items I've ever purchased for my car. I also use it to listen to Pandora all the time.

This is all you can see of the T605 in my car:
103_0917.JPG

Reaction score
I highly recommend the Motorola T505.

The only problem is that the audio quality using an FM Modulator is not nearly as good as a direct connect. Don't get me wrong, it's easy and cheap to setup, but I'm picky about the quality of the audio. Others may not be so much of a concern.

My next search will be for a "direct connect" car charger that will charge my phone in the Dock without having to use up one of the "cigarette lighter" ports. Will be a much cleaner looking setup, too.

OP
L

landon

Reaction score
If you want something just to hold your phone, then you are right, a piece of velcro or some other cheaper 3rd party holder would be your option.

When I said what I said I was under the basic understanding that all the dock did was hold the phone and que up a few programs. I dont think I will get one right away, but you guys have made some really good points for the accy. If I end up with $40 to burn I will likely get one :D For now, I've got some cleverly placed velcro, and have been enjoying the phone (just got it yesterday) on every ride :D

I highly recommend the Motorola T505. It does a great job as a Bluetooth speaker phone AND to stream Pandora (phone calls or whatever) via FM to my car stereo.

I'm kind of with WoJ on this one. I don't like the idea of going down to FM quality sound. Mp3s aren't super HQ, and Pandora's sound isn't quite CD quality either. The thought of reducing it further with signal is far less than ideal.

If you aren't afraid of tearing into your dash, I'd recommend the T605. I have it installed in my VW GTI. By connecting to the correct phone terminals on the stereo the CD player will pause if a call comes in and all audio is routed through the stereo.

Okay, so I found the t605 on the moto site. When you say "connecting to the correct phone terminals on the stereo", do you mean something other than the typical Mp3 player/Ipod 3.5mm connector?

Also, how does it get power?

My next search will be for a "direct connect" car charger that will charge my phone in the Dock without having to use up one of the "cigarette lighter" ports. Will be a much cleaner looking setup, too.

I guess I'm on the lookout for something that does more too. I'm still not sure if what I want is feasible though, lol. Hidden cables would mean something right now, so hard wiring would be a big benefit, but I think I need a proper stereo before it's really necessary to go any further than where I am......

futureroads

Reaction score
FM sound quality

The sound quality of the T505's FM transmitter to my Pioneer stereo is "good enough" for LOUD (Kicker amp and 8" sub) country music :)

futureroads

Reaction score
Car to car

.. and I can easily move my T505 and Droid car mount from my truck to my car.

Reaction score
I guess I'm on the lookout for something that does more too. I'm still not sure if what I want is feasible though, lol. Hidden cables would mean something right now, so hard wiring would be a big benefit, but I think I need a proper stereo before it's really necessary to go any further than where I am......

One thing you might look into would be either small black "zip ties" (so you can just tie them to the car mount post) or the Nylon Cable management "sleeves" (they are sort of like a shrink wrap without needing to heat: Example: Techflex Inc Techflex Nylon Multifilament Cable Sleeve Cable Ducting & Troughs at Markertek.com)

Just some 'cleaner' cable management thoughts... both options above are cheap yet effective and would look nice.

Reaction score
The sound quality of the T505's FM transmitter to my Pioneer stereo is "good enough" for LOUD (Kicker amp and 8" sub) country music :)

Understood... for you it's good enough. For me, I can hear the difference in quality, enough so that it annoys me.

It's kind of like the equivalent of watching a movie in 720p vs 1080p... enough difference that I can tell them apart.

Dissonance

Reaction score
If you aren't afraid of tearing into your dash, I'd recommend the T605. I have it installed in my VW GTI. By connecting to the correct phone terminals on the stereo the CD player will pause if a call comes in and all audio is routed through the stereo.

Okay, so I found the t605 on the moto site. When you say "connecting to the correct phone terminals on the stereo", do you mean something other than the typical Mp3 player/Ipod 3.5mm connector?

Also, how does it get power?

Your stereo has to support telephone equipment. If it does, there is a lead on the stereo that you connect to the T605 so the stereo knows when a call comes in and it can pause/mute/etc as needed. This is all behind the dash type stuff and should either be soldered or attached with the correct wiring harness. The T605 has 2 power lines, one is an always on power that you wire into the car's 12v system and the other is a sensor lead that you attach to something that is only on when the ignition is on. That let's the T605 know when to turn on and off, but not lose pairing info.

The system does not power the phone. Installation isn't for the faint of heart, but it isn't that bad as far as these things go. Worst case, you can take it to a stereo installer and they can do it for you.

Also, the T605 comes with a speaker in case you don't want to do all that wiring, but that completely takes away the elegance of this solution.

Last edited:

moonieboonie

Reaction score
Just an quick FYI...Verizon has an online bundle right now that is a pretty sweet deal. It includes the car dock, car charger, and three screen protectors for $50. Not sure if it's only available at the time you purchase your phone, but it's worth looking in to. The car charger alone is around $30 I think, and the screen protectors are $15...totally worth it. The car dock is pretty cool. I have the same issue with the music...no BT capabilities in my car, but I live in a rural area and just run a cable from the headset jack to the FM adapter I bought to play my iPod in the car. It's a bit cluttered, but it works for now. It's pretty fabulous...loving my Droid X so far.

daddyd302

Reaction score
If you aren't afraid of tearing into your dash, I'd recommend the T605. I have it installed in my VW GTI. By connecting to the correct phone terminals on the stereo the CD player will pause if a call comes in and all audio is routed through the stereo. If the stereo is off, phone calls still get routed through the speakers. It's one of the best items I've ever purchased for my car. I also use it to listen to Pandora all the time.

This is all you can see of the T605 in my car:
103_0917.JPG

+1, this is what I recommend as I hate those FM transmitter. Too much static where I live. You can find them as cheap as $50 online, but you'll most likely need a professional installer if you are not into installing electronics.

Be warn it will not work for all cars, but it'll work for most car with factory systems.

Dissonance

Reaction score
I just discovered today that the T605 would control starting/pausing and skipping songs on Pandora (it wouldn't on my Windows Phone (Omnia)). Woot!

Now I just need to disable the cardock software. Heading to search...

jswinberlin

Reaction score
Rocking it old school

Orlac,

Wow an old Walkman to cassette set up. Props for kicking it old school.