CarDock questions

Discussion in 'Droid X Accessories' started by landon, Jul 20, 2010.

1. rjmlakota

rjmlakota New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Completely agree! I was just stating that I already had the XM SkyDock and it worked for my situation. I was going to purchase the CarDock when I got the DX. I'm glad I waited. dancedroid

2. WorldOfJohnboy

Ratings:
    +0
    My car has an AUX port which I used for my XM Pioneer Inno radio up until I got the DX... The car dock is by far worth the money IMHO. I suppose you could buy a different holder, but the Car Dock is nice because you don't have to plug in the Car charger every time you pop it in the dock. Also, it automatically starts the Car Dock app which is really the cat's PJ's.

Case in point, I was listening to MP3s (on my SD Card) and navigating somewhere. My sister called me, so I picked up the phone and it paused the music. I was able to hear my sister on my car speakers, and the microphones are strong enough that she can hear me clearly without the need for bluetooth or speakerphone activated. During the phone conversation, the GPS was still telling me what turns to take even though I was talking on the phone. After the call was over, my MP3 started playing again and I was able to see the GPS Nav map on my phone.

Now, if they could only develop the "Flip the Bird" app on the Android Market, I'd have a complete car tool! :)

3. techguru

techguru Member

Ratings:
    +1
    "flip the bird" app. Check out billboard bot. I have it preset with "thank you", "hang up and drive", please don't tailgate", "get off my ass", and "please help or call 911" messages. All easily seen from the car behind me when the X is in the car dock.

alan

4. WorldOfJohnboy

Ratings:
    +0

Most of the people that I would use this on are in their 80's and can't read a regular sized billboard, let alone a 4.3" screen from 20 feet away moving at 30 MPH... just sayin'

#16 WorldOfJohnboy, Jul 21, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2010
  5. stargazin

stargazin New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have the car dock and bought it as a bundle pack with the phone, it came with the anti glare screen protectors, car charger and dock. I had a Blackberry visor mount BT speakerphone, that has the FM transmitter built in to listen to over the radio. Motorola has one as well for 50.00, you might be able to find cheaper. The back of the dock has a 3.5mm jack for plugging in the supplied W/cardock cable into a stereo with a 3.5 AUX in jack. I can easily switch between calls, mp3, Dogcatcher Podcast app, GPS/Nav app with no trouble.

Personally I think the cardock is one of the best Accessories I could have bought for this Awesome New Phone. The huge screen makes button pushes easy, and Reading the screen even easier. IF I could only figure out how to make the Maping/Nav fonts larger I would be completely happy with the whole setup.

Jeff

6. rydizzle

rydizzle Member

Ratings:
    +0
    For the car dock, is there an aux port on the dock itself, or do you have to use the headphone jack? i ask cause the desk dock has a spot for the mini-HDMI as well, so didnt know if the car dock did too.

7. landon

landon New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    How are you getting the music from phone to car (ie. separate cords, BT etc..)? What player app are you using?

Sounds ideal, if it doesn't take too much to get to this stage.

I guess this is what I'm looking for (highlighted portion), but I'm a tad confused. Does the dock come with a cable?

If I can just plug the phone in, and it will start charging and allow me to play music without any additional attachments than I will be happy. If I were to have to plug the audio plug in every time, it wouldn't be any different than plugging in the charger, and I would just skip the dock.

A question though, the audio jack on the phone will not plug into the dock correct? I guess the sound just comes trough the USB port into the dock, then out of the audio port into the car stereo....I'll be by the local store to check on this further today.....

The quote I sited above yours says there is an aux jack on the dock, so in the very least, you wont have to plug it in separately each time, just leave it plugged into the dock. It's a little confusing though, as you can see I asked some follow up questions :D

I looked the display car mount over pretty good at the store. I missed the aux jack on the back of it, but it most definitely only has the USB connection in the dock. I think only the home unit has the HDMI cable.

8. rydizzle

rydizzle Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, my post was a little confusing. I figured HDMI wouldnt be on the car dock. What I meant to say was that since HDMI was included on the home dock, maybe AUX was included on the car dock. I hope it is, I don't particularly want to have to plug it in the headphone jack and have the cord wrapped everywhere.

9. stargazin

stargazin New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    There is no audio jack on the back of the car dock sadly. But I use the bluetooth fm speakerphone. This really did need the audio jack though it would have made the dock much more efficient.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

10. rydizzle

rydizzle Member

Ratings:
    +0
    that sucks, but at least answers my question. hopefully some company will make a dock that includes it.

11. landon

landon New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not going to drop the cash on the BT FM device right now. I went by the store and confirmed what you've said though....there is no jack :(

My sentiments exactly :(

On a positive note though, I did go ahead and order the droid X dancedroid Hopefully around 8/3 Ill have a little more to contribute back to this forum :D

#23 landon, Jul 26, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2010
  12. Eolly

Eolly Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have a pioneer deh 7100bt h/u in my dakota. I figured out lastnight that I can plug the phone into the usb inputs of my h/u and it will recognize my sd card in the phone. So I grabbed the spare usb cable I had from my blackberry and plugged it into my car dock. So I can either bluetooth the music or can play it directly off the sd card.

Landon I have a truck and I initially was going to wait for a third party car dock. But the fact that the first day I had the phone it jumped out of the cup holder and ran across my floorboard changed my mind. I would consider saving and buying it shorty after you get the phone.

Search tags for this page
dogcatcher a2dp support
droid skydock
skydock bluetooth audio

skydock for android