CarDock questions

landon

Reaction score
I am looking into getting an 'droid' device, and am very much liking the new Driod X. One of the selling points of the phone for me is to be able to listen to my media (that would be on the device) in my car.

When I saw this CarDock was available I immediately thought it would make this device perfect for me. After much time searching out the internet, I did not find a definitive answer. I went into the store and asked yesterday, but the answer I got can not possibly be right. I wanted clarification on a few other things, but decided I would save them for here...

So, my questions are:
1) Can I use this docking station to play my music (or say Pandora) through my car speakers?

2) Are there any features that need to be activated through VZW to use the GPS function?

For clarity sake, here (click me) is the unit I am referring to.

cromo8

Reaction score
no the acr dock doesnt play thru car speakers, look up the motorola t505 speaker bluetooth that transfers your music from ur phones to ur car speakers, works with most devices, i use my droid with it and works amazing no static ever, and battery life rocks because the phone is only using bluetooth not actually playing music, i tested it one weekend and lasted me all weekend just synced to tthe device

and no to use the gps nothing needs to be activated, same device i reccomended plays the navigation thru car speakers

OP
L

landon

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I don't know if I am going to be able to swallow another $70 though. I'm already at a dilemma of whether or not to get the jawbone....I want a BT that is A2DP compatible, but it's hard to justify when I already have four other units.

It's good to know it is available, but I'll be looking for a cheaper alternative for now.....

kpiskin

Reaction score
Unless you live in a more rural area, an FM transmitter back to the radio is never going to be pristine. And besides, your songs are now down-converted to FM, which is much lower quality than a CD, satellite or MP3.

If you have an aux port in your radio, that would probably be the best way to go. If your radio doesn't have that port you can buy a kit from places like Best Buy.

Also, you might want to wait for feedback on the cardock. My original droid would get hot in its cardock and then start to discharge even when plugged in and then die. It normally only happens when you're driving on hot days. However, the phone tends to get warm when running GPS, and coupling that with the Sun beating down on it is too much. Not sure if the DX suffers from this or not yet, but I don't feel like paying $30 to find out either.

Last edited:

chikibabe

Reaction score
all you need is a aux port in your car and plug it into your phone via your headset jack. and that will enable you to play music through your phone. Not too sure about navigation though.

FireDroid

Reaction score
What type of car do you have? If you have a vehilcle with a radio that has built in BT then you can stream your music from the droid over BT to the car. Also you can hear your GPS directions also.

The dock is just that. It will charge the droid if you have the car charger but it just holds the droid and puts it in navigate mode.

I have a F150 with Sync and it works great on all accounts, it even informs me when I get a text and does text to speech with my texts!!

Orlac

Reaction score
I don't have an Aux plug, but I had an old cassette-style aux connector from an old Walkman Cd Player...

It works great for music!

OP
L

landon

Reaction score
Unless you live in a more rural area, an FM transmitter back to the radio is never going to be pristine. And besides, your songs are now down-converted to FM, which is much lower quality than a CD, satellite or MP3.

I had XM radio and transmitted it through the FM tuner and it sounded pretty good to my ear.

If you have an aux port in your radio, that would probably be the best way to go. If your radio doesn't have that port you can buy a kit from places like Best Buy.

Ive got an aux button on the face of my OEM Ford stereo. Ill have to pull it out and see what the jack on the back looks like. I checked it out online last night, and it looks like I may need to buy an adapter to convert a CD changer plug to typical audio cable. The one I found at Crutchfield was ~$100.

Also, you might want to wait for feedback on the cardock. My original droid would get hot in its cardock and then start to discharge even when plugged in and then die. It normally only happens when you're driving on hot days. However, the phone tends to get warm when running GPS, and coupling that with the Sun beating down on it is too much. Not sure if the DX suffers from this or not yet, but I don't feel like paying $30 to find out either.

I'll definitly wait it out and find out about this issue. I live on South Carolina, and it was 85 when I woke up this morning (7am). It gets hot here.....

What type of car do you have? If you have a vehilcle with a radio that has built in BT then you can stream your music from the droid over BT to the car. Also you can hear your GPS directions also.

2004 F150.....but no BT capabilities.

The dock is just that. It will charge the droid if you have the car charger but it just holds the droid and puts it in navigate mode.

So you have to have the car charger for this thing to charge the phone? I thought that's what the main feature was. After they told me the music wouldn't be available without some other sort of modification/cable, I thought it would still be cool, since it's only $10 more than the charger. If I've got to buy the $30 charger, then I'm not interested in this at all.

I have a F150 with Sync and it works great on all accounts, it even informs me when I get a text and does text to speech with my texts!!

That's cool. I wish my truck was outfitted with the BT. It sounds like that would have been the simplest route to take....

I don't have an Aux plug, but I had an old cassette-style aux connector from an old Walkman Cd Player...

It works great for music!

Dude, that is pretty ingenious, and something I never thought about. It's cheap (if they are still available :D), simple, and is universal across future phones/mp3 players. I'm sure the sound quality isn't up to par with BT or actual audio cables (but probably better than going through FM), but it's definitely a strong option if I can find one of those adapters!

Thanks every one for your replies! All the help is very much appreciated!

techguru

Reaction score
Dude, that is pretty ingenious, and something I never thought about. It's cheap (if they are still available :D), simple, and is universal across future phones/mp3 players. I'm sure the sound quality isn't up to par with BT or actual audio cables (but probably better than going through FM), but it's definitely a strong option if I can find one of those adapters!

Thanks every one for your replies! All the help is very much appreciated!

I have seen them at Target as recently as two months ago. Pretty sure they are still available. If you can't find one, PM me. My head unit blew up, and I don't plan on getting a cassette player in the replacement, so I have a spare one.

You are right, the quality isn't fabulous, but it is more reliable than the FM transmitters at least in saturated markets (I live near DC, and it is virtually impossible to find an empty band to transmit on that stays empty for more than 30 miles).

Alan

OP
L

landon

Reaction score
Well, I checked out my stereo, and it looks like Ill need the ~$100 adapter to plug into the radio. It has no jacks on the back, except a harness style plug that connects the Ford CD changer.

The search for the cassette adapter was successful though! I just looked them up, and they have in stock at my local best buy for $25. I think Ill pick one up today :D

Thanks again!

rjmlakota

Reaction score
I have the the XM SkyDock (XM Satellite Radio - Everything worth listening to is now on XM) and I use this as my "car dock" for my DX. My DX fits perfectly into the holder with the Verizon clear hard case.

I also hooked up the aux jack and it plays beautifully! Also, when I am listening to music and navigating, it will change over to the directions voice then back to my music.

RJ

OP
L

landon

Reaction score
^ With that though, it looks like I would be back to running it through FM or buying an expensive adapter to plug it in. It wont do anything other than hold the phone for me, so I'm not sure that would be right direction.....

rjmlakota

Reaction score
^ With that though, it looks like I would be back to running it through FM or buying an expensive adapter to plug it in. It wont do anything other than hold the phone for me, so I'm not sure that would be right direction.....

Completely agree! I was just stating that I already had the XM SkyDock and it worked for my situation. I was going to purchase the CarDock when I got the DX. I'm glad I waited. dancedroid

Reaction score

Completely agree! I was just stating that I already had the XM SkyDock and it worked for my situation. I was going to purchase the CarDock when I got the DX. I'm glad I waited. dancedroid

My car has an AUX port which I used for my XM Pioneer Inno radio up until I got the DX... The car dock is by far worth the money IMHO. I suppose you could buy a different holder, but the Car Dock is nice because you don't have to plug in the Car charger every time you pop it in the dock. Also, it automatically starts the Car Dock app which is really the cat's PJ's.

Case in point, I was listening to MP3s (on my SD Card) and navigating somewhere. My sister called me, so I picked up the phone and it paused the music. I was able to hear my sister on my car speakers, and the microphones are strong enough that she can hear me clearly without the need for bluetooth or speakerphone activated. During the phone conversation, the GPS was still telling me what turns to take even though I was talking on the phone. After the call was over, my MP3 started playing again and I was able to see the GPS Nav map on my phone.

Now, if they could only develop the "Flip the Bird" app on the Android Market, I'd have a complete car tool! :)

techguru

Reaction score
"flip the bird" app. Check out billboard bot. I have it preset with "thank you", "hang up and drive", please don't tailgate", "get off my ass", and "please help or call 911" messages. All easily seen from the car behind me when the X is in the car dock.

alan