1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

CarDock questions

Discussion in 'Droid X Accessories' started by landon, Jul 20, 2010.

1. landon

landon New Member

I am looking into getting an 'droid' device, and am very much liking the new Driod X. One of the selling points of the phone for me is to be able to listen to my media (that would be on the device) in my car.

When I saw this CarDock was available I immediately thought it would make this device perfect for me. After much time searching out the internet, I did not find a definitive answer. I went into the store and asked yesterday, but the answer I got can not possibly be right. I wanted clarification on a few other things, but decided I would save them for here...

So, my questions are:
    1) Can I use this docking station to play my music (or say Pandora) through my car speakers?

2) Are there any features that need to be activated through VZW to use the GPS function?

For clarity sake, here (click me) is the unit I am referring to.

2. cromo8

cromo8 New Member

no the acr dock doesnt play thru car speakers, look up the motorola t505 speaker bluetooth that transfers your music from ur phones to ur car speakers, works with most devices, i use my droid with it and works amazing no static ever, and battery life rocks because the phone is only using bluetooth not actually playing music, i tested it one weekend and lasted me all weekend just synced to tthe device

and no to use the gps nothing needs to be activated, same device i reccomended plays the navigation thru car speakers
  3. landon

landon New Member

Thanks for the info. I don't know if I am going to be able to swallow another $70 though. I'm already at a dilemma of whether or not to get the jawbone....I want a BT that is A2DP compatible, but it's hard to justify when I already have four other units.

It's good to know it is available, but I'll be looking for a cheaper alternative for now.....
  4. kpiskin

kpiskin New Member

Unless you live in a more rural area, an FM transmitter back to the radio is never going to be pristine. And besides, your songs are now down-converted to FM, which is much lower quality than a CD, satellite or MP3.

If you have an aux port in your radio, that would probably be the best way to go. If your radio doesn't have that port you can buy a kit from places like Best Buy.

Also, you might want to wait for feedback on the cardock. My original droid would get hot in its cardock and then start to discharge even when plugged in and then die. It normally only happens when you're driving on hot days. However, the phone tends to get warm when running GPS, and coupling that with the Sun beating down on it is too much. Not sure if the DX suffers from this or not yet, but I don't feel like paying $30 to find out either.
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2010
  5. chikibabe

chikibabe New Member

all you need is a aux port in your car and plug it into your phone via your headset jack. and that will enable you to play music through your phone. Not too sure about navigation though.
  6. FireDroid

FireDroid New Member

What type of car do you have? If you have a vehilcle with a radio that has built in BT then you can stream your music from the droid over BT to the car. Also you can hear your GPS directions also.

The dock is just that. It will charge the droid if you have the car charger but it just holds the droid and puts it in navigate mode.

I have a F150 with Sync and it works great on all accounts, it even informs me when I get a text and does text to speech with my texts!!
  7. Orlac

Orlac New Member

I don't have an Aux plug, but I had an old cassette-style aux connector from an old Walkman Cd Player...

It works great for music!
  8. landon

landon New Member

I had XM radio and transmitted it through the FM tuner and it sounded pretty good to my ear.

Ive got an aux button on the face of my OEM Ford stereo. Ill have to pull it out and see what the jack on the back looks like. I checked it out online last night, and it looks like I may need to buy an adapter to convert a CD changer plug to typical audio cable. The one I found at Crutchfield was ~$100.

I'll definitly wait it out and find out about this issue. I live on South Carolina, and it was 85 when I woke up this morning (7am). It gets hot here.....

2004 F150.....but no BT capabilities.

So you have to have the car charger for this thing to charge the phone? I thought that's what the main feature was. After they told me the music wouldn't be available without some other sort of modification/cable, I thought it would still be cool, since it's only $10 more than the charger. If I've got to buy the $30 charger, then I'm not interested in this at all.

That's cool. I wish my truck was outfitted with the BT. It sounds like that would have been the simplest route to take....

Dude, that is pretty ingenious, and something I never thought about. It's cheap (if they are still available :D), simple, and is universal across future phones/mp3 players. I'm sure the sound quality isn't up to par with BT or actual audio cables (but probably better than going through FM), but it's definitely a strong option if I can find one of those adapters!

Thanks every one for your replies! All the help is very much appreciated!
  9. techguru

techguru Member

10. landon

landon New Member

Well, I checked out my stereo, and it looks like Ill need the ~$100 adapter to plug into the radio. It has no jacks on the back, except a harness style plug that connects the Ford CD changer.

The search for the cassette adapter was successful though! I just looked them up, and they have in stock at my local best buy for $25. I think Ill pick one up today :D

Thanks again!
  11. rjmlakota

rjmlakota New Member

I have the the XM SkyDock (XM Satellite Radio - Everything worth listening to is now on XM) and I use this as my "car dock" for my DX. My DX fits perfectly into the holder with the Verizon clear hard case.

I also hooked up the aux jack and it plays beautifully! Also, when I am listening to music and navigating, it will change over to the directions voice then back to my music.

RJ
  12. landon

landon New Member

^ With that though, it looks like I would be back to running it through FM or buying an expensive adapter to plug it in. It wont do anything other than hold the phone for me, so I'm not sure that would be right direction.....
  13. rjmlakota

rjmlakota New Member

Completely agree! I was just stating that I already had the XM SkyDock and it worked for my situation. I was going to purchase the CarDock when I got the DX. I'm glad I waited. dancedroid
  14. WorldOfJohnboy

WorldOfJohnboy New Member

My car has an AUX port which I used for my XM Pioneer Inno radio up until I got the DX... The car dock is by far worth the money IMHO. I suppose you could buy a different holder, but the Car Dock is nice because you don't have to plug in the Car charger every time you pop it in the dock. Also, it automatically starts the Car Dock app which is really the cat's PJ's.

Case in point, I was listening to MP3s (on my SD Card) and navigating somewhere. My sister called me, so I picked up the phone and it paused the music. I was able to hear my sister on my car speakers, and the microphones are strong enough that she can hear me clearly without the need for bluetooth or speakerphone activated. During the phone conversation, the GPS was still telling me what turns to take even though I was talking on the phone. After the call was over, my MP3 started playing again and I was able to see the GPS Nav map on my phone.

Now, if they could only develop the "Flip the Bird" app on the Android Market, I'd have a complete car tool! :)
  15. techguru

techguru Member

"flip the bird" app. Check out billboard bot. I have it preset with "thank you", "hang up and drive", please don't tailgate", "get off my ass", and "please help or call 911" messages. All easily seen from the car behind me when the X is in the car dock.

alan
  16. WorldOfJohnboy

WorldOfJohnboy New Member

Most of the people that I would use this on are in their 80's and can't read a regular sized billboard, let alone a 4.3" screen from 20 feet away moving at 30 MPH... just sayin'
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2010
  17. stargazin

stargazin New Member

I have the car dock and bought it as a bundle pack with the phone, it came with the anti glare screen protectors, car charger and dock. I had a Blackberry visor mount BT speakerphone, that has the FM transmitter built in to listen to over the radio. Motorola has one as well for 50.00, you might be able to find cheaper. The back of the dock has a 3.5mm jack for plugging in the supplied W/cardock cable into a stereo with a 3.5 AUX in jack. I can easily switch between calls, mp3, Dogcatcher Podcast app, GPS/Nav app with no trouble.

Personally I think the cardock is one of the best Accessories I could have bought for this Awesome New Phone. The huge screen makes button pushes easy, and Reading the screen even easier. IF I could only figure out how to make the Maping/Nav fonts larger I would be completely happy with the whole setup.

Jeff
  18. rydizzle

rydizzle New Member

For the car dock, is there an aux port on the dock itself, or do you have to use the headphone jack? i ask cause the desk dock has a spot for the mini-HDMI as well, so didnt know if the car dock did too.
  19. landon

landon New Member

How are you getting the music from phone to car (ie. separate cords, BT etc..)? What player app are you using?

Sounds ideal, if it doesn't take too much to get to this stage.

I guess this is what I'm looking for (highlighted portion), but I'm a tad confused. Does the dock come with a cable?

If I can just plug the phone in, and it will start charging and allow me to play music without any additional attachments than I will be happy. If I were to have to plug the audio plug in every time, it wouldn't be any different than plugging in the charger, and I would just skip the dock.

A question though, the audio jack on the phone will not plug into the dock correct? I guess the sound just comes trough the USB port into the dock, then out of the audio port into the car stereo....I'll be by the local store to check on this further today.....

The quote I sited above yours says there is an aux jack on the dock, so in the very least, you wont have to plug it in separately each time, just leave it plugged into the dock. It's a little confusing though, as you can see I asked some follow up questions :D

I looked the display car mount over pretty good at the store. I missed the aux jack on the back of it, but it most definitely only has the USB connection in the dock. I think only the home unit has the HDMI cable.
  20. rydizzle

rydizzle New Member

Yeah, my post was a little confusing. I figured HDMI wouldnt be on the car dock. What I meant to say was that since HDMI was included on the home dock, maybe AUX was included on the car dock. I hope it is, I don't particularly want to have to plug it in the headphone jack and have the cord wrapped everywhere.
Search tags for this page
dogcatcher a2dp support
droid skydock
skydock bluetooth audio

skydock for android