droidprincess

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Iphone 7 Plus
Twitter
droidprincesstx
Fully restored 51 F-1 I came across today. Gorgeous! Wish I had the $25k they're asking!!

c92ed3207f46f09c95b4dca26b9d919e.jpg
5911db3e8d8adde2715e12687e5a5255.jpg
eefffafe9794736c133bc1a1ef0bf6dc.jpg
My youngest son: "THAT'S AWESOME!!!!" :D:D

OP
UrbanBounca

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I currently have a Honda Civic, but I've always wanted a Ford Escape. Yes, a Ford Escape, don't laugh. That said, does anyone have one? Would you buy another? What should I look for as far as premature wear? I want the four cylinder, 4WD, model, and I found one with 62K miles for about $8000.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Which model year? The 2008- 12 boxy types are nice. My ex had one and it didn't have any issues. There were a couple people who I know had them. Normal wear and tear is what I'd look for. Tires, brakes, suspension. The 4 banger in them gets good mpg too. Around 24 average.

OP
UrbanBounca

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Okay, I gave up on the Escape because I couldn't find any within a particular price range and mileage, that I would be willing to travel for. That said, I ended up trading my Civic in on a 2011 Subaru Impreza. The AWD is nice, and the pickup is fantastic compared to my Civic. I recently go thrashed on a car forum because I didn't get the timing belt changed by Subaru, and instead using an independent mechanic. The work was done, and it was done for $450, compared to the nearly $1000 that Subaru wanted.

Next, it's getting its first oil change. I typically use Merchant's Tire $19.99 oil change special, and they use Valvoline. What does everyone suggest? I have a feeling that to make a profit, they are throwing on extremely cheap, aftermarket oil filters. I've purchased a bulk order of the Subaru OEM oil filters, but does anyone have a problem with Valvoline? Can we assume it's still a good oil?

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Valvoline is great oil low ash content..and it still has a very little bit of zinc in it..important if you're running a flat tappet cam..you're not..so..if you were I'd suggest adding more zinc..though..

As far as filters ..the one thing I'm picky about is I like to try to find an oil filter with a check ball...it keeps the oil from draining down so you have less dry fire at initial start up..2000 and up iron block LS engines have cold start up noise and even some oil consumption issues..that's why it was relevant to me..

But as far as emprezas...I believe just keeping an oil change and filter every 3-5k depending on your thoughts/oil/driving habits..you should be in good shape..

As far as the timing belt..as long as the mechanic was competent..what difference does it make?? You got it done...make sure he has a warranty..that's with any wrencher.

I don't recall..but I don't think your engine is a contact engine..like these newer Ford tritons ..if one of the belts goes..you get a collision between the pistons and valves..and the timing assemblies are cheaply made..I've seen a ton of excursions go at 75k..but that could be the way the idiots down here drive..you have to gun up to 80, slam on the brakes to avoid this idiot on the phone...floor it again so you don't get ran over..I'm sure you know big city driving..

thunderbolt_nick

Thunderbolt Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.nickburress.com
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Twitter
@nickburress2k2
Valvoline is great oil low ash content..and it still has a very little bit of zinc in it..important if you're running a flat tappet cam..you're not..so..if you were I'd suggest adding more zinc..though..

As far as filters ..the one thing I'm picky about is I like to try to find an oil filter with a check ball...it keeps the oil from draining down so you have less dry fire at initial start up..2000 and up iron block LS engines have cold start up noise and even some oil consumption issues..that's why it was relevant to me..

But as far as emprezas...I believe just keeping an oil change and filter every 3-5k depending on your thoughts/oil/driving habits..you should be in good shape..

As far as the timing belt..as long as the mechanic was competent..what difference does it make?? You got it done...make sure he has a warranty..that's with any wrencher.

I don't recall..but I don't think your engine is a contact engine..like these newer Ford tritons ..if one of the belts goes..you get a collision between the pistons and valves..and the timing assemblies are cheaply made..I've seen a ton of excursions go at 75k..but that could be the way the idiots down here drive..you have to gun up to 80, slam on the brakes to avoid this idiot on the phone...floor it again so you don't get ran over..I'm sure you know big city driving..
0i. I can only imagine. City driving has been killing me lately. I went on a little joyride tonight in the GTI. Found some nice back roads and even a few hidden gems. Also got to test out sport mode

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
@94lt1 the 3v triton mortors were a huge Ford mistake. Spark plugs popping out were another issue.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Yeah I remember the plug issue too..glad I wasn't turning wrenches on fords regularly .

Cobra_Gt

Reaction score
The first Gen II Lightnings had 4 thread plug heads, known issue for sending plugs out of the head, they went to 8 thread heads for the later Gen II's.......glad mine is an 2004 with no plug issues. It was very evident when the boost is turned up, which most do.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Wow..some peoples kids...but daddy..I want the newer Ferrari!! Now son..you can make due with this 100k$ car for a year or 2....

I'd like to have a problem like that..

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
$193k car torched. The kid has 30mil? Make payments kid. We all have to