Car mount that does not block the Camera?

JakeM

Reaction score
Is there a Mount for the original Moto Droid that does not block the Camera? I am interested in a mount I can use while Autocrossing/RoadCourse/ and Drag racing? Anyone aware of a mount that can meet this requirement?

Thanks,

Jake

kastein

Reaction score
Not sure if they make one....but I saw a post a while back where someone cut a whole out for the camera

turdbogls

Reaction score
Not sure if they make one....but I saw a post a while back where someone cut a whole out for the camera

same here...seems pretty easy, and wont hurt the "sturdieness" of the mount.

cool idea tho...what are you driving?

techguru

Reaction score
I am one of the ones who modified the mount. Just drilled a hole about the right size, and cleaned the edges with my dremel. However, the universal mounts by Bracketron would also work. The back only comes up the phone about 3/4 so it doesn't cover the lens (that is what I am using with my Incredible now).

Alan

OP
J

JakeM

Reaction score
I currently have a 2006 Mustang GT, but I am trading up to a 2011 Mustang GT so I can have the sweet new 5.0 powertrain. The potential of the new motor is amazing compared to my 4.6 liter 3 valve.

Give me a second and I will post pic's of the current ride.

Sent from my droid using DroidForums App

OP
J

JakeM

Reaction score
BallPark1080ChoppedNomorePost.jpg

Jim 777

Silver Member
Reaction score
Kinda pisses me off but a friend of mine who I talked in to getting a droid AFTER I had mine, bought a car mount from Verizon, the box is the same as mine, but the part that holds the phone does NOT block the camera. I don't know, just lucky on his part I guess. He makes videos from his street motorcycle with it.

I'll mod mine when and if I need to.

_Killer_

Reaction score
I'm not 100% on how this works since i've never tried it.. BUT when i switched from the D1 to D2 i got a new car dock.. the D2 car dock does NOT block the camera... and it does come with a setup for the D1..... BUT i didn't try the d1 setup for the d2 dock so i don't know if it blocks it that way or not..

I was planning on drilling mine at one point too for the d1.. i would think that would be easiest..

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Is there a Mount for the original Moto Droid that does not block the Camera? I am interested in a mount I can use while Autocrossing/RoadCourse/ and Drag racing?
You can always drill. Can you use a windshield mount? SCCA around here won't allow such mounts.

OP
J

JakeM

Reaction score
IIRC, you can have a mount but it has to be secure. No suction cups or anything. Looks like I may just have to do some research and may have to make my own. If all else fails I will just man up and buy a GoPro HD.

Thanks for the help guys.

_Killer_

Reaction score
IIRC, you can have a mount but it has to be secure. No suction cups or anything. Looks like I may just have to do some research and may have to make my own. If all else fails I will just man up and buy a GoPro HD.

i see you say no suction cups.. but does that just mean on the windshield?? reason i ask is, the D2 mount came with a flat plastic disk that sticks to your dash.. THEN you suction cup your mount to that disk.. so it's not on the windshield at all..

techguru

Reaction score

I have a GoProHD and I have to admit it is freaking awesome...

It's battery will also last longer while recording video than a droid.

Alan
Sent from my Droid Incredible using DroidForums App