Car Mount Question

Discussion in 'Android Accessories' started by hacku, Jan 12, 2010.

1. hacku

hacku New Member

I just purchased the Car Mount and the Multimedia Dock for my Droid, but I can't figure out a way to prevent the screen from timing out when I'm either in Navigation or Map mode.

Another thing I noticed is that if I get a call or initiate a call from my phone while it's on the mount, the screen just goes black as if there's something in front of it also preventing me from putting the call on speaker or end the call. (possible proximity sensor bug?)

So far those are the only two bugs I've noticed, but again I've just had the mount for a few hours.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
  2. jasonb

jasonb New Member

Search the market for "toggle screen timeout". Its an app that let's you toggle between the setting you made in the settings or no screen timeout. I have this app on one of my homescreens and it works perfectly.
  3. trickhog

trickhog New Member

I have the phone plugged into a charger when it's in my car, and I have it set to never go to sleep when plugged into a power source.

To do that, go to "settings" -- "applications" --- "development" --- and check "stay awake".
  4. hacku

hacku New Member

Hmmm... you think that they'd be smart enough to do something to keep it from timing out while in the car mount. I mean, even on my Blackberry if you had Google Maps running it wouldn't time out.
  5. 640k

640k Active Member

you don't need to do this. stay awake is the worse thing you could do, imo. you're asking for your phone to stay awake while it's in your pocket.

you need a proper power source for your phone to stay awake. a car charger should be at least 850mAh and your desktop cradle should be plugged into the wall, not your PC (which is only 500mAh).

i use two docks and the car dock and I'm able to keep my phone awake without having to change those settings or download apps.
  6. RW-1

RW-1 New Member

+1 : Right on target, was your Droid plugged in whilest in the car dock?
  7. hacku

hacku New Member

No, The phone wasn't charging while in the dock. I have the car mount on my windshield on the top left corner next to the A-pillar. I plan on running a charging cord up the A-pillar so it will be hidden so I can be charging the phone while I have it in the mount which should keep it from timing out since I have it set to not time out while charging.
  8. 640k

640k Active Member

as long as it's plugged in and at the right power level, your phone will stay lit. FWIW, i'm like 99% sure that if you're using NAV, the phone stays lit anyway.
  9. aacanela73

aacanela73 New Member

I am your other one percent if you use the nav it doesn't go out.
  10. hacku

hacku New Member

It stays on for maybe 5 mins which is longer than the timeout I have it set at (2 mins), but then after about 5 mins it goes to sleep.
  11. jasonb

jasonb New Member

Download the toggle screen timeout app I mentioned and your problems will be solved. Put the icon on one of your homescreens and whenever you want the screen to stay on just give it a tap and it sets it to not timeout. A second press puts it back at your default setting. This is the best solution I have found.
  12. brochaos

brochaos New Member

huh? i have the stay awake option checked, and the screen most definitely turns off while it's unplugged and in my pocket. why is that the worst thing i could do?
  13. trickhog

trickhog New Member

Should've been more specific -- that setting only keeps the phone awake when it is plugged into a charger. When it is not on a charger, it goes to sleep like normal.
  14. gardobus

gardobus New Member

How about the app Screen On? It lets you pick certain apps that will keep the screen on. You can set it so that when Car Home is open, the screen stays on. The only downside to this is that if you leave it in Music or Maps then it won't. You could always set Screen On to keep those apps from sleeping also but then if you put it in your pocket with Music on then the screen will stay on. (Unless of course you hit the lock button before putting it in your pocket like I always do).
  15. kness7

kness7 New Member

buy DockAwake from the market (only $0.99) it lets you customize setting such as screen timeout and bluetooth while the phone is docked. Works great and you dont have to remember to activate it all the time.
  16. hacku

hacku New Member

Just purchased this and will be trying it out today. Looks like this is going to come in very useful. I like how it has the option to switch calls to speakerphone automatically too since the phone is docked at a perfect place where I can leave it in the dock when making or receiving calls.
  17. gardobus

gardobus New Member

I use the aux-in in my truck so the speakerphone setting won't be needed but that app definitely looks to be worth the .99 (assuming it works well!). Let us know how it works out for you hacku.
  18. hacku

hacku New Member

Tested the app out and it works just as intended. I especially like that you can switch your phone calls to default to speakerphone automatically. Well worth the 99 cents.

The only thing I messed up in is when you first put it in the dock it asks you which application you want to launch. Either the Car Home or DockRunner. Well, I put the check mar on the box that says something like "use this as default" but hit Car Home instead of DockRunner. Does anyone know how to reset the default app so I can choose Dock Runner?
  19. hacku

hacku New Member

Nevermind, I figured out how to clear the "default" setting:

Settings> Applications> Manage Applications
    Menu> Filter> All
    Car Home> Clear Defaults
  20. gardobus

gardobus New Member

Try going into Settings > Applications > Manage Applications > Car Home > Clear Defaults (i think thats what its called)

Edit: hey I was late but at least I was right lol!
Search tags for this page

do i need a specific car mount dock to initiate my droid ult