Car Mount Question

hacku

Reaction score
I just purchased the Car Mount and the Multimedia Dock for my Droid, but I can't figure out a way to prevent the screen from timing out when I'm either in Navigation or Map mode.

Another thing I noticed is that if I get a call or initiate a call from my phone while it's on the mount, the screen just goes black as if there's something in front of it also preventing me from putting the call on speaker or end the call. (possible proximity sensor bug?)

So far those are the only two bugs I've noticed, but again I've just had the mount for a few hours.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

jasonb

Reaction score
Search the market for "toggle screen timeout". Its an app that let's you toggle between the setting you made in the settings or no screen timeout. I have this app on one of my homescreens and it works perfectly.

trickhog

Reaction score
I just purchased the Car Mount and the Multimedia Dock for my Droid, but I can't figure out a way to prevent the screen from timing out when I'm either in Navigation or Map mode.

Another thing I noticed is that if I get a call or initiate a call from my phone while it's on the mount, the screen just goes black as if there's something in front of it also preventing me from putting the call on speaker or end the call. (possible proximity sensor bug?)

So far those are the only two bugs I've noticed, but again I've just had the mount for a few hours.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

I have the phone plugged into a charger when it's in my car, and I have it set to never go to sleep when plugged into a power source.

To do that, go to "settings" -- "applications" --- "development" --- and check "stay awake".

OP
hacku

hacku

Reaction score
Hmmm... you think that they'd be smart enough to do something to keep it from timing out while in the car mount. I mean, even on my Blackberry if you had Google Maps running it wouldn't time out.

Silver Member
Reaction score

Any suggestions?

Thanks

I have the phone plugged into a charger when it's in my car, and I have it set to never go to sleep when plugged into a power source.

To do that, go to "settings" -- "applications" --- "development" --- and check "stay awake".
you don't need to do this. stay awake is the worse thing you could do, imo. you're asking for your phone to stay awake while it's in your pocket.

you need a proper power source for your phone to stay awake. a car charger should be at least 850mAh and your desktop cradle should be plugged into the wall, not your PC (which is only 500mAh).

i use two docks and the car dock and I'm able to keep my phone awake without having to change those settings or download apps.

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
+1 : Right on target, was your Droid plugged in whilest in the car dock?

OP
hacku

hacku

Reaction score
No, The phone wasn't charging while in the dock. I have the car mount on my windshield on the top left corner next to the A-pillar. I plan on running a charging cord up the A-pillar so it will be hidden so I can be charging the phone while I have it in the mount which should keep it from timing out since I have it set to not time out while charging.

Silver Member
Reaction score
as long as it's plugged in and at the right power level, your phone will stay lit. FWIW, i'm like 99% sure that if you're using NAV, the phone stays lit anyway.

aacanela73

Reaction score
as long as it's plugged in and at the right power level, your phone will stay lit. FWIW, i'm like 99% sure that if you're using NAV, the phone stays lit anyway.
I am your other one percent if you use the nav it doesn't go out.

OP
hacku

hacku

Reaction score

It stays on for maybe 5 mins which is longer than the timeout I have it set at (2 mins), but then after about 5 mins it goes to sleep.

jasonb

Reaction score

It stays on for maybe 5 mins which is longer than the timeout I have it set at (2 mins), but then after about 5 mins it goes to sleep.

Download the toggle screen timeout app I mentioned and your problems will be solved. Put the icon on one of your homescreens and whenever you want the screen to stay on just give it a tap and it sets it to not timeout. A second press puts it back at your default setting. This is the best solution I have found.

brochaos

Reaction score

Any suggestions?

Thanks

you don't need to do this. stay awake is the worse thing you could do, imo. you're asking for your phone to stay awake while it's in your pocket.

you need a proper power source for your phone to stay awake. a car charger should be at least 850mAh and your desktop cradle should be plugged into the wall, not your PC (which is only 500mAh).

i use two docks and the car dock and I'm able to keep my phone awake without having to change those settings or download apps.

huh? i have the stay awake option checked, and the screen most definitely turns off while it's unplugged and in my pocket. why is that the worst thing i could do?

trickhog

Reaction score

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Should've been more specific -- that setting only keeps the phone awake when it is plugged into a charger. When it is not on a charger, it goes to sleep like normal.

gardobus

Silver Member
Reaction score
How about the app Screen On? It lets you pick certain apps that will keep the screen on. You can set it so that when Car Home is open, the screen stays on. The only downside to this is that if you leave it in Music or Maps then it won't. You could always set Screen On to keep those apps from sleeping also but then if you put it in your pocket with Music on then the screen will stay on. (Unless of course you hit the lock button before putting it in your pocket like I always do).

kness7

Reaction score
buy DockAwake from the market (only $0.99) it lets you customize setting such as screen timeout and bluetooth while the phone is docked. Works great and you dont have to remember to activate it all the time.