Car Mount Dock

karte

Reaction score
The Gnex had the 3 dots on the right side which supposedly would work (with workaround) with the car dock, of course without any case on the phone, that's the reason I never could use a car dock. I'm looking for a car dock which works even with case on ( I have a thin Diztronic TPU Case) to replace the old Garmin navigator. On a side note, I also would like to hard wire it to the car, is it easy to do?

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
There are some kits on the market that can be hard wired but not sure if there is one for the S5 yet. I just plug my phone into the USB port and use BT

OP
K

karte

Reaction score
There are some kits on the market that can be hard wired but not sure if there is one for the S5 yet. I just plug my phone into the USB port and use BT
Well, if you want to use it for navigation it should have a mount.

1coopgt

Reaction score
I'm using iKross 4-in-1 Universal Windshield / Dashboard / Sun Visor / Air Vent Car Mount Holder Kit - Black . Picked it up from Amazon. I'm using the Vent clip it works great .

Attachments

• 71yh3-CJ8eL._SL1500_.jpg
    71yh3-CJ8eL._SL1500_.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 315
OP
K

karte

Reaction score
I'm using iKross 4-in-1 Universal Windshield / Dashboard / Sun Visor / Air Vent Car Mount Holder Kit - Black . Picked it up from Amazon. I'm using the Vent clip it works great .
What cable do you use to connect? isn't it clumsy?

OP
K

karte

Reaction score
I read there are so called smart car docks that bring up the car mode as soon as you place the phone in the cradle. Is the ikross on of them?

1coopgt

Reaction score
I read there are so called smart car docks that bring up the car mode as soon as you place the phone in the cradle. Is the ikross on of them?

No it's a universal /Generic phone mount . I had the type you're talking about for the Razr. I hated it because you couldn't have a case on the phone . It's ended up in a junk drawer pretty quick .

I'm not to worried about the cable . The only time I use the GPS feature is if I'm out of state which only happens a few times a year .

tomthbomb

Reaction score
I have been using ProClipUSA mounts for years. When you get a new phone just change the cradle and use the same dash mount.

The cradle for my RAZR MAXX would (tightly) fit my S5 without the protective case. I need the case because I drop phones :rolleyes:. I ordered the adjustable cradle and it fits perfectly. Looks like there will be room for when I get an extra capacity battery and case.

Edit: Dead link removed

Last edited by a moderator:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Anybody here heard of the imagnet? Looks like a cool phone mount...
Never heard of it, looks pretty basic, where you have a rare earth magnet mounted on a pedestal and then a simple thin steel plate inserted behind your phone between it and a slip on cover. The question of course is how would that rare earth magnet impact certain componentry in these phones of today. Earlier phones may use magnetic sensors to determine which dock you're placing it in and therefore trigger certain modes such as car mode or desktop clock mode. I believe most manufacturers have moved away from magnets as a trigger device, but there are still magnetic sensors for the compass in the phone. Would this magnet in any way either temporarily or permanently cause aberrations in the compass readings on the phone and possibly disrupt its operation?

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
My SO has a similar setup. (Logitech Plus Drive system) It came with a magnetic disc that attaches to the air vent of your vehicle and included a nice military spec case in which the middle section has metal in it. Simply place the phone onto the disc and it is held firmly in place, yet you can rotate it 360 degrees. She's been using it on her S5 for almost a year now without any problems. No interference with anything inside the device itself.

S5 tap'n

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
My SO has a similar setup. (Logitech Plus Drive system) It came with a magnetic disc that attaches to the air vent of your vehicle and included a nice military spec case in which the middle section has metal in it. Simply place the phone onto the disc and it is held firmly in place, yet you can rotate it 360 degrees. She's been using it on her S5 for almost a year now without any problems. No interference with anything inside the device itself.

S5 tap'n
Well I could see that it might not cause interference or permanent damage, given that the plate on which the magnet attracts to and rests against diminishes the magnetic field. However it seems to me that it would have to have significant impact on the operation of the compass if you were using it while the phone is mounted to the stand. Most people really don't use the compass so they may or may not ever experience distortion of results. The GPS acts as a quasi compass while you're moving so there is no need for a compass if you're using GPS for Navigation at the time.

On the other hand, if you're camping and using the phone to find your way in an area where a compass is better utilized I could see potential result shift due to a small residual magnetic field imparted to the plate. My son is a junior Boy Scout and I'll be camping with him and the troop for a week this summer, so I will get to test out the compass in the Droid Turbo pretty well that week. I will be bringing a standard magnetic compass as well, and will compare the results and see if I can get the Turbo calibrated closely to the magnetic compass.