Car locator/finder - can anyone recommend a good one?

Bluesman2008

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung GS5
I must've tried a dozen of these and the accuracy is pretty terrible. Considering how accurate GPS is supposed to be, why can't these things find a car??? Anyone know of any good ones that actually work?

TWC42

Reaction score
If you would be so kind to list the dozen that you tried, it would save the rest of us from wasting our time recommending them again.

OP
Bluesman2008

Bluesman2008

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung GS5
My car locator
Car locator
Find my car
ezParking Car Locator
Park me right car locator
Park-A-Lot car locator
Car Finder Pro

Some of these are freebies and I've also purchased the pro versions of some of them with the same crummy results.

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3
You would think that Google would add that feature to their maps. How hard would it be to mark your current spot and save it and then find your way back to it?

Sent from my HTC Rezound using Droid Forums

chickaholic

Reaction score
Carr Matey is an adorable app that works great. It is based on a Pirate theme. It is accurate and I've always been able to find my car, um, ship where I last dropped the anchor. Cuteness aside, it is a good car locator app. Found it after it was reviewed on the Android Guys pod cast.

OP
Bluesman2008

Bluesman2008

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung GS5
Thanks Chickaholic. Downloading now. Will give it a try this afternoon.

eworldtech

Reaction score
Any of those apps are only going to be as accurate as the GPS on your phone.

The best way to find out if you have decent GPS on your phone is to download 'GPS Test' from the market. Which tells you how accurate, to the nearest feet, your GPS is.

xxwabbit

Reaction score
eworldtech said:
Any of those apps are only going to be as accurate as the GPS on your phone.
Somewhat true.. I had pretty good results before ICS.

rbw62

Reaction score
I have used car locator and it works for me, as long as you remember to put your car on it asap, before u lose site of car.
Also, check the accuracy of your GPS, if it is 16-20 ft that is a problem.

MJKneuro

Reaction score
rbw62 said:
I have used car locator and it works for me, as long as you remember to put your car on it asap, before u lose site of car.
Also, check the accuracy of your GPS, if it is 16-20 ft that is a problem.

16-20 ft? Have never had a phone that is consistently or even usually that accurate...

OP
Bluesman2008

Bluesman2008

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung GS5
Well, Carr Matey was a bust. Not only didn't it locate my car, it couldn't find any GPS signal. I then downloaded GPS test and it varied between 10-12 feet. Not terrible but it's certainly there.

I also tried car locator (free and paid) and it was terribly inaccurate.

mattman5000

Reaction score
You would think that Google would add that feature to their maps. How hard would it be to mark your current spot and save it and then find your way back to it?

Google Maps does have this feature. But like a lot of other Maps features, it is not very intuitive if you don't already know how to use it.

If you open Maps, then tap on the little blue arrow that represents your current position, then tap on the "thought bubble" thing that pops up. On the My Location screen, tap the star in the upper right corner of the screen. Now that location is saved in your "My Places" and the location is marked with a star on the map.

When you are ready to find your way back to that location, you can just walk in the direction of the star. Or tap the star on the map, which pops up a bubble thing which has a navigation arrow button. If you tap the navigate button, you can choose to navigate by walking (tap the walking person icon).

I mark locations like this all the time, but I have never used it for the purpose of finding my car. I don't know how well the navigation function would work inside a parking lot, but at least it would tell you which direction to go.

To delete the location from "My Places", tap the star on the map, then tap the bubble thing, then un-select the star in the upper right corner. Or you can access the list of "My Places" by clicking the main Maps menu. Long press a location in the list to bring up a submenu which has a delete button.

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3
Nice, thank you very much. I'll remember that.